Merkur Futur for Beginners

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by GlennConti, Apr 11, 2013.

1. GlennConti

GlennConti Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. No amount of "book knowledge" can hold a candle to real world experience. Like I said I'm going to take it slow and keep practicing my technique. I really appreciate the feed back.

Papa Roy and Slow Joe like this.
  2. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of not feeling the blade in my Futur and yet getting a terrific shave. Same way with my Weber.

3. GlennConti

Hi lindyhopper66, yeah that Futur makes short work of my beard and the only way I know I've made a stroke is the shaving cream is gone.

Well I just took my morning shave. 1 pass at setting "1.25" WTG and 1 pass at setting "1" across the grain. It was a very nice DFS; no cuts or irritation. If I rub my face WTG, it is perfect. If I rub ATG, I feel an ever so slight stubble. I think for "every-day" shaving, this is the way to go for now. But I don't think I'm going to get a BBS unless I shave with a 3rd pass ATG. Well tomorrow is another day; I'll practice it then.

Tdmsu and feeltheburn like this.
  4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Interesting. My Weber Bulldog with the polished head feels very aggressive to me. Do you have one of the coated heads? Mine shaves great as long as I keep the pressure off but I definitely feel the blade when I use it. I'm not sure what it is about the Futur. Maybe the blade exposure? But it really does make you not feel the blade.

5. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

I vary my Futur between 2 and 3. It has been in my rotation for over three years. And, my Toggle has been set on 3 for several years which seems perfect.

Jeff, after reading your post "One thing that I know for sure is I liked my Progress wayyyyyy more than the Futur." maybe my long handle Progress should come out of the cabinet and have another try. It was only used once before being put into hibernation. Doug

6. lindyhopper66

Yes, I have the classic handle and bulldog handle Weber and prefer the bulldog and I have both the DLC (black) coated head and the ARC coated head. I don't have the polished head. I find the head shape gives you the perfect angle and the weight of the bulldog handle doesn't need any pressure to shave well.

7. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

Good choice for a razor, and good advice. My Futur has been my goto DE (still is when I don't use a straight) since I got it four years ago.

8. lindyhopper66

I'm a straight user as well and sometimes use a Futur to touchup.

9. GlennConti

So I couldn't wait to try an ATG shave with my Futur. After shaving in the morning WTG and XTG, I shaved again at around 2:00pm ATG setting "1". Results: almost a BBS, but I need more practice going ATG. I wanted to let my face rest and let my beard grow in so today I just went WTG at a setting of "1.5". Tomorrow a new blade and another try at ATG. Baby steps and no nicks or irritation.

Tdmsu and feeltheburn like this.
  10. lindyhopper66

That's the way to do it, in baby steps. In my opinion, you don't need to go much higher than 1 or 1.5 to get a great shave. Find the direction your beard grows in and use that information to get a closer shave faster. Also, I've learned not to kill myself trying to get BBS. My face prefers fewer passes.

Tdmsu likes this.
  11. GlennConti

Well I just took my morning shave with the Futur and a new Derby Extra. WTG at "1.5", XTG at "1.25" ATG at "1". I got the very best shave of my life. A BBS shave. But at the same time my ATG pass caused one or two very minor weepers on my upper lip (basically a small red spot at the pore). The rinse and splash of Proraso aftershave fixed me right up. I wonder if I need a sharper type of blade? I have some Feathers on order and they should be here in a few more days. All in all I would call it a success. So, as far as my question of which would come first a BBS or Blood? I would have to call it a tie.

Slow Joe and Tdmsu like this.
  12. lindyhopper66

I haven't had much luck with Derby. They are okay, but I think the Feathers will help you out.

If you want something milder, I've found Astra SP works well in all my razors. It took me a while to be able to handle the sharpness of a Feather. I think the Futur is the perfect match for a Feather though, in that the mild Futur tones down the extra sharp Feather.

13. GlennConti

I just ordered some Astra Superior Platinum blades. I think the Derby's don't like to go ATG too well (they pull and don't cut) but are fine for WTG and XTG. I'll keep the 20 or so Derbys I have left when I want a quick CCS.

14. Wyokid

Wyokid New Member

I love my Futur - been using it on 1.5 and getting great shaves! I'm using Astra SP blades and enjoy them much more than Derby or Merkur so far. I tried Feathers but less forgiving for this newbie - will stay with Astra for now!

15. GlennConti

I received my Astra SP and some Feathers. Haven't used them yet in the Futur. I've been trying out other razors. Have you been going ATG with your Futur?

16. lindyhopper66

I have the Weber with the ARC head and bulldog handle. I haven't had experience with the newer polished head.

17. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

This is good information. When I first read this thread I just read it real quickly, as I didn't have a Futur. Now that I do and I've shaved with it I can totally relate. I had my first shave with a Wilkinson Sword and though I love that blade in my Merkur 23C, I was underwhelmed with it in the Futur. I'm going to use an Astra SP in tomorrow's shave. I've not used the Astras before so I'll finally learn why so many people love them. I have Feathers but I'm in no hurry to try them.

18. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I went back and looked at my blade notes for the Futur and I thought Wilkies and Astras were both a little underwhelming in it. Personna Super Stainless were the best I've tried in the Futur (YMMV of course).

Raven312 likes this.
  19. Raven312

Raven312 Well-Known Member

Hmmm... I don't have any Personnas yet. I do have to give the Astra's their try since I've never used them. I'm going to order some Personnas as well add some Gillette Silver Blues.

Edit: just ordered Personnas, Silver Blues, and Polsilvers (5 of each)...

20. GlennConti

Update: I used my Futur today with a Feather blade at "2" for the first WTG pass. "1.5" for the XTG pass. And "1" for the ATG pass. It gave me a wonderful shave. My technique has improved and the blade selection was crucial. I still say "Easy does it". The whole process has taken weeks to refine. But I was definitely rewarded. I now have two "go to" razors: My Fatboy and my Futur. :)

Tdmsu, Raven312 and swarden43 like this.