Merkur Futur for Beginners

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by GlennConti, Apr 11, 2013.

1. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I completely agree. I didn't learn what no pressure really meant until I dialed up my Fatboy to 9 for a few shaves. My irritation problems went away, almost overnight.
    See below. Many of us prefer the Progress.
    Me too.
    I agree. See below.
    Blade Gap alone does not make a razor more aggressive. The best illustration I've seen comes from that "other" forum, but I attached it below. The biggest factor to razor aggressiveness is actually blade exposure, not gap, and not span. In my experience, when you increase the blade gap on the Futur, you increase the blade flex, decreasing the span, which keeps the exposure about the same. I don't feel like the razor is any more aggressive or efficient up at 6 than it is at 3.
    So does my Futur for me. I get the same results from both and my Progress is far more comfortable.
    I agree, probably for the same reason mentioned above.

[​IMG]

Lightfoot and maltedmilk like this.
  2. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    I don't disagree but, ever since the discussions of the "riding the cap" technique, I no longer support razor geometry as the defining characteristic for shave performance. It may be the deciding factor for a razor's "personality," but it ain't the king. It's kind of like how I would never come down on one side of the Nature/Nurture debate. Know what I mean? ;)

3. Lightfoot

Lightfoot Member

I'm considering the Futur, not sure yet. I've got a Parker that I'm not satisfied with and the Futur was recommended by a friend that I respect quite a lot. I read in a review of the Futur that the Satin finish version was hard to clean and stained from soaps and such. Have any of you encountered that? If I make the leap to the Futur I'm thinking I'd pick up the Satin version as opposed to the Chrome. Both are surprisingly artistic works, but I suspect the Satin would have a better grip. Good or bad assumption? Regardless, chrome tends to clean up easily. A thing this good looking should be maintained to remain good looking, and that review mentioning that the satin stains and was difficult to keep clean makes me wonder about that choice. Thanks for any and all input. Cheers all.

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

If you manage to keep your hand relatively dry, I wouldn't worry about a 'slippery' grip with the Futur. Sure the razor can be slippery when wet as there isn't any knurling on the handle—but many shave just fine and confidently with it. In other words, I don't think its a 'deal breaker' when considering a purchase of a Futur.
    Shaving with dry hands isn't difficult. I do it all the time SR shaving. ;)

otherstar, Robyflexx and Lightfoot like this.
  5. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Comparing my Satin Futur to my chrome DE89, I'm not sure there's much difference in grip. Get the one that looks best to you. You'll be fine either way.

Robyflexx and Lightfoot like this.
  6. Lightfoot

Lightfoot Member

Thanks guys, that helps.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have and like the chrome. Wet hands are NOT slippery. Wet soapy hands are slippery.
    I have no problems.

otherstar and Lightfoot like this.
  8. Don1205

Don1205 New Member

In the long run, I think it a good first razor as your technique will be pretty darn good in a relatively short time. At least this was my experience.

Lightfoot likes this.
  9. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

My first de experience was with a futur it was my first razor, I still have a Clint Eastwood worthy scar between my ear and jaw where I almost dropped it but caught it but now wished I dropped it lol. Lots of better razors then futur to start shaving with

10. Lightfoot

Lightfoot Member

I started DE shaving with a Parker butterfly razor, not really happy with it but that was my intro to DE's. A month or 2 of that, so not really experienced but not completely new either. The fine people here helped me get a Futur to try, it was recommended to me by someone else. Taking a cautious start, I set it to 1 and had my first shave. Not a problem at all. I got a couple of small nicks on my jaw transitioning to my neck. They were tiny, a couple red dots was all - didn't feel them. Second shave I stayed with setting 1 to get used to the razor. No nicks this time. I do think I need to go to a higher setting next time, but I don't think there is anything wrong with this razor to start with. From what people have said, I was expecting blood letting - but not at all. It's fine, and provides a great shave.

twhite likes this.