Merkur Futur for first DE?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ErikD675, Jun 6, 2009.

1. ErikD675

ErikD675 New Member

Any opinions on whether the Merkur Futur would be an acceptable razor for a first DE? I'll likely be shaving at night, so preparation/time will not be an issue. I'm aware of the alleged dangers in blade replacement, which I'll only perform when dry, and adjustment, which, as a first-time DE user, I'll set to 1 and won't plan on changing for the time being. My preferred alternative is to pick up a Feather AC, as I would imagine my curiosity in straight razors will ultimately get the better of me.

Thanks!

2. Peders

Peders Member

I did start out with a futur. It was okay but it's quite a beast to tame in my opinion. It has some great heft and is a well built piece. I'm sure you will be able to handle it but there are razors out there that's easier to start with. If you prefer adjustables, i would suggest a Gillette Slim. My slim and my futur makes my rotation.
    BTW Welcome!:)

3. Tommy C

Tommy C New Member

I find the Future to be really aggressive and too big for my face...
    I think the HD is a great choice which I don't find an aggressive at all, even loaded with Feather.

4. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

IMHO i would recommend the HD. It is a great little razor. if you do want to start with an adjustable consider the progresso. Enjoy which one you get.

5. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

The Futur is certainly doable as your first DE. Keep the setting on 1 or 2 for several months though. As mentioned it is kind of a beast so there are easier razors to begin with. A superspeed is generally considered a nice, mild razor to learn on. Good luck.

6. Teiste

Teiste New Member

I started with a Gillette super adjustable and I dont find a reason why the Futur wouldnt be a good starter razor,however now I enjoy more the shaving from fixed head DE razors(like the slant,Rocket or HD).If you finally get the Futur enjoy its shaves!

7. Justin Low

Justin Low Member

The Futur is a spectacular choice. I wish I had started with one; maybe I wouldn't have felt the need to purchase all these *looks at shelf* other razors. Or maybe not...

I keep mine at 1 or 1.5 and have predictably good shaves every morning. Go for it!

8. JimR

JimR Active Member

Welcome to the Den!

That was my experience as well. I kept wanting to try new DEs until I got a Futur...and all that went out the window. Until, of course, straights began their siren song...

If you're interested in straights, I'm almost tempted to recommend you NOT get the Feather AC, as I've heard that while they are really good at giving close shaves and are pretty cool in their own right, they aren't actually all that comparable to using a straight. I've heard they require different angles, have a different feeling, and give somewhat different results--not bad, just different. But of course, that's only second hand knowledge and so please take it with a grain of salt.

If, of course, your goal is to see what the fuss is all about, then please go for it! Just remember, they were in no way intended for daily use so they might be a bit much to begin with.

9. Mattinnc

Mattinnc New Member

The Futur paired with a Feather absolutely gives me the best shaves of any razor / blade pairing.

But it is unwieldy so I always touch up my nose and mouth areas with a fixed head razor .... my current favorite is the Lord Racer.

I think you might find this to be an issue, also..

Good Luck, regardless.

MattC

10. Stephanois

Stephanois New Member

I second that. It's a great razor. The handle's slightly too short for my big hands but it's a wonderful razor and simple to use since you don't have to worry about the 'aggressiveness' settings.

11. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    The futur is a fine razor, although I think i'd go with a merkur HD, or 40's gillette, IMHO they're a bit more tolerant of mistakes, and simpler to learn.

12. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I started not too long ago myself. Started with a Merkur 38C long handle. Nice balance, not too aggressive.

Have since delved into various vintage Gillettes and a Slant Sledgehammer.

Good luck!