Merkur Futur

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rick, May 17, 2007.

1. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

Hello Gents (and Ladies ;))

I have a Futur on the way.
    Who else here has one and what do you like / dislike about it ?
    and What blades work best in it ?

2. johnniegold

johnniegold New Member

This was my first DE razor. Although it did not get alot of use while I was going through my RAD, last week I used it everyday and realized what a great shaver it really is. I have the chrome finish. Its heft and longer handle provide for great balance and a great shave. I use Derbys, IPs and 7a.ms and they all work fine. I don't go past a setting of 2.5. I don't really adjust it all. The most common complaint about the Futur is the snap-off head but if you hold it upside-down (with the cap placed on a towel), pop the cap off with your thumb, place the blade inside, then snap the handle back on the cap, it really is simple. Another complaint is the lack of grip on the handle. I have never had problem with it, even when I used it in the shower. Good luck and let us know your results. I think you will enjoy it. It's a good purchase.

3. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

What do I think of it?

This is my review.

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481

I am inclined to use the top end blades.......Gillettes,Feathers, and tesco Blades for the best shaves....although I have had good shaves with Derby and Israeli Blades.

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I have one in satin. I use Derby's and Feathers in it. It's a different animal due to the weight and smooth handle. Let the razor do the work. Place, slide and repeat. Start at 1 and work your way up gradually. It stays in my kit so it gets a lot of use. :D

5. fritz

fritz New Member

I Like It!

I have a LH Classic, a Vision, and a Futur. The LH gets the least use, mostly if I'm in a hurry and just want a quick 1-pass without having to be even fully awake:D

I use the Vision and the Futur about equally. I like both of them; they're very similar, although the Vision is definitely the "big daddy" of the two. They can give you a really nice, close, and comfortable shave if you do everything right (prep wash, hot towels, good lather, light touch, multi-pass, NO hurry). Oh, and you better be fully awake!

I tend to use Feathers in them; I think they do better with a rather sharper blade. With 3 full passes and a touch-up, I usually change the blade every two shaves. But I have a very wiry, dense beard, sensitive skin, and weak roots. Pulling whiskers halfway out before they get cut really causes pain.:eek:

I tend to hold them with thumb and first finger at the bottom end of the "skinny" part, and let the other fingers curl lightly around the "fat" part of the handle. You can then vary the angle a little bit by closing or opening the lower three fingers. The razor's heavy; don't press, just guide & glide.

I've never had the urge to go higher than 3 on the Futur, and that's usually on the second shave. First shave on 2 or 2.5. Some people cut it down a notch for an ATG pass, but I don't. It all of course depends on your face, beard, and a jillion other factors.

Some people worry about having to grab the head (with slippery fingers) to change the adjustment; also, about the lack of checkering on the grip. I always have the damp handtowel used for the hot towel routine folded on the counter, so use that. You'll need it later for your final hot-and-cold rinses and cleanup, anyway.

6. TomH

TomH Welcome Wagon

My first choice is the Futur, recently with the Feather blade and the setting on 3 or 3.5.
    I think this combination is the optimum for me, the ultra sharp Feather and the Futur disciplines the user to shave slow and with respect...

7. rick

Hello Thomas....
    I have to agree with you.
    My 1st round with the Futur was with a Derby and the shaves were....."eh"..OK.
    I floated a Feather in her the other day, set it to "2" and got a really nice shave.
    Its much bigger and heavier than any razor Ive had so the learning curve on the Futur may be a little steep.
    But Im up for it. ;)

8. TomH

TomH Welcome Wagon

Futur and Feather works better for me than LH Classic and Feather.
    IMHO it's the upper weight of the Futur, which is decisive...

A lightweight razor seduces to use it with more pressure, but this is a fatal decision, because the Feather blade forgives no fault.

9. bg42

bg42 New Member

merkur

I have a 1920 merkur straight razor 3/8 in mint condition it is super sharp and shaves like a ripper,however she must be treated with due respect as forgiveness is not in her vocabulary;)
    Kind regards Peter

10. rick

OK.....more tips needed.

Still learning the best setup for the Futur.
    Gimme your blade(s) of choice and setting(s)for her.

So far:
    Feathers and
    Derbys only.

Ive tried settings from 3 to 6 with both blades and am not really happy with any results.
    I think Im gonna try a 1 or 1.5 setting with a Derby today and see how it goes.
    Tell me your success stories.

11. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

I have great shaves with Derbys at 3.5.. One thing I noticed is that the angle of shaving is of utmost importance with the Futur.. The handle need to be almost paralell with the floor if you get my idea.. And make sure that you control it.. Dont let the razor "run" away from you.. hold it steady so to speak.. and make short controlled strokes..
    I have both the Futur and the Vision.. I tend to use the same principle with both of them..

Hope you get lucky.. If you need more explenation to what Im rambling about just give me a holler..

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Too high on the settings! Back off buddy. :D

13. rick

Why dint you say so ??

Went w/
    "1" on 1st N-S XTG
    "1" on 2nd S-N XTG and
    "2" for TouchUps

today.
    Not half bad, I must say.