Merkur Futur

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaveO, Dec 9, 2012.

1. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I have been using my new Merkur Futur now for about a month. I put in an Astra SP blade about 5 shaves ago. I put this blade in my cheap Feather non-adjustable razor since I had not used it since receiving the Futur. I was surprised how smooth it shaved one side of my face. I then took the blade and put it into the Futur to shave the other side. It was on the #1 setting. It was good, but not much better than the cheap razor. The Futur is very heavy and the head is large so it is hard to shave under the nose.
    If someone is just beginning to try DE shaving, it is worth the money to get the cheap Feather non-adjustable to try. You can always pack it in your travel kit as an extra.

Also, I just received a bottle of the Trumpers West Indian Lime aftershave a few days ago. It was recommended by a few of the posters. I have to say that when first applied, it is very strong alcohol wise and burns the face. I much prefer my St John's West Indian Lime at about the same price per ounce. My second choice is the Royall Lime at a cheaper price than either. The Trumpers would be my third choice. If you want an inexpensive after shave, 4711 is very reasonably priced if you get the huge bottle.
    The 4711 is 800ml for less than $ 40. Or about 28 oz.

Attached Files:

2. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

A Futur was the first razor I purchased. I started wet shaving with a few vintage Gillette's and a Hoffritz Slant and then want to buy something different. I kept it for a month or so and sold it.

3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I just tried my Futur for the first time this morning and this razor and I really hit it off. It just glides effortlessly. Really enjoyed it.

4. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Hi Dave, agree that a smaller razor my be the way to start off the experience.
    Where were you able to find the large 4711 bottles??

5. oldtrout

oldtrout Well-Known Member

The Futur is the first DE razor I purchased.
    I still use it once or twice a week, it provides an excellent shave for me. Now that I don't use it everyday, I have come to appreciate it a lot more.

6. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

I've owned a Futur for about 4 years now and it is, by far, my favorite DE. It's the only DE that comes close to shaving as close as a straight razor when paired with the right blade (which, for me, is the Astra SP).

7. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

I have been using a Slim for several months, then got a Progress last week, and I liked it so much that I sent it to Eric for his Mergress conversion. But for my b-day my wife is getting me a Futur, so I am definitely looking forward to trying it out.

8. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Hope you like it. I used mine for the second time yesterday and it was even better. I've just kept it set on 1 until I get a good feel for it and I can hardly feel the blade. You just hear the whiskers cutting. On one part of my chin, after my WTG pass, I did my XTG pass and didn't hear the cutting. Thought I had the razor angle wrong so I felt my chin and nope, it was just smooth already.

9. wquiles

wquiles Active Member

Awesome - thanks. The Mergress will still take a couple more weeks before it comes back to me, but the Futur should arrive this Tue/Wed :happy036:

10. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

The Futur is a fine razor, smooth and just as easy as any under the nose as any other DE. I use straight razors now, but do touchups sometimes with my Futur or Weber or vintage Merkur Slant.

Try a Feather in the Futur and see if that does it for you. Maybe you need to change the adjustment you shave on. The cheap Feather Popular razor you mention is a good, but mild shaver and easy for buffing without doing harm to your face.

11. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I love my Futur. And I do not use it often enough.
    Perhaps I should start shaving my legs and dedicate my left one for the Futur?