MERKUR FUTUR

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by jimmy Mac, Feb 12, 2015.

1. jimmy Mac

jimmy Mac Well-Known Member

My new razor came in the mail today, been waiting for a week and a half. I currently have been using my 34C HD. I loaded it with the merkur blade supplied, I will experiment with my collection of blades later on. Set the razor to 3.5 and lathered up. A bit tough to get up under the nose, but the results were baby smooth finish with a few passes. Wow nice shaving experience.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The Futur's head size does take a bit getting used to (push up on the tip of your nose helps when shaving the upper lip) but I found the Futur to be an exceptional adjustable shaver. Enjoy!

Keithmax likes this.
  3. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

How is the finish on these ?

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The Futur is the only adjustable I like. Once I used Holly Roller's push up the nose technique I did not have any problems shaving my upper lip. I like heave aggressive razors so this one of my favorites.

Enjoy!

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Beautiful….at least the chrome is! I can't speak for the satin finish. ;)

[​IMG]

6. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

I like the looks of them but not sure about the long handle. It seems like it is too long!

7. BigMark

What I meant is how does it hold up ? Also is it really that aggressive ?

8. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Take the time to tear it down completely often and clean it, I have one in my junk drawer because the threaded post rotted away due to accumulated gunk. I din't know how to get it apart then but there are now videos and instructions on the net that explain it.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Actually helps balance the razor; the head is a bit heavy. I hold the razor at the "groove" and it balances perfectly.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've not read too many complaints with the finish. the most common complaint I read from Futur users is they can be somewhat slick/slippery to hold when wet.
    I never had the issue, but i can see how it might be problematic for some, especially if one has smaller hands.
    As far as aggressiveness, it is one of the MOST aggressive razors I've used when fully wide 0pen. But this is easily controlled by the user by simply choosing a lower setting. Great shavers!

[​IMG]

BigMark, David Green and 178-bplatoon like this.
  11. BigMark

Thanks Kevin. The reason I asked about finish is because I have read of individuals having issues with the plating on merkur razors. And the reason I asked about aggressiveness is in case you did not know I shave my head. Perhaps the satin would be easier to grip.

12. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

Wish more people could use this razor as everyone else said they are really really great shavers and do an amazing job with little effort. I liked mine so much when i received it, that i didn't use any of my other razors until recently (ive had the futur for year and a half now :p). Grip is no issue here either, the finish is very nice and seems very well made.

13. BigMark

I might just get a progress.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have four Merkurs: a 34C (my first DE, about 7 years old), a 34G, a 34C with a custom red malle burl handle, and a Futur - zero plating issues.

spacehobo likes this.