Merkur? Gillette? 1904

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fiatster, Jan 24, 2017.

1. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

I see there is a 1904 Merkur that is supposed to be fashioned after a 1904 Gillette 3 piece from what I understand. I can't seem to find and pictures or information on the Gillette. It would be a 6 sided handle (I think). Anyone know anything about that? Thank you.

2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I believe the Merkur is just a general tribute representation of the Gillette Old Type, but with its own unique handle. The Merkur is quite a mild shaver while the OT is fairly aggressive. I don't believe any Gillette had a handle like that.

HERM

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

Thanks. I just bought one and was wondering because it said it was a Gillette. I'll know more when it arrives. It was very cheap and I just wanted to play around with it, so no big deal. I'll post more when it arrives, maybe with a pic or 2.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You are correct that no Gillette ever had a handle like the Merkur 1904. The handle is based off of the early GEM 1912 handles. It's a homage razor to a razor that never existed, despite Merkur claims otherwise.

5. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

This is my 1918 Gillette. Same head as the 1904. Definitely an aggressive animal but very cool to have around.

1918 Oldasmall.jpg

LOOT likes this.