" Merkur Progress Adjustable Safety Razor "

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by rgarr, Dec 20, 2007.

1. rgarr

rgarr Senior moments member

I'm a newbie to these forums and I'm ready to buy my first DE razor and I've heard and seen through a video that it is a pretty good razor and it is in my price range.

I would appreciate any and all recommendations that you might give me concerning this razor or others that might be best for someone who has sensitive skin and is prone to nicks and cuts.

Also, which blades would be best for me e.g. Merkur...Featherlite etc. And approximately how many shaves can I expect out of one blade?

I realize that on the razor and blades it depends on the user's dexterity but for someone new like myself there must be some razors and blades that are better or safer than others as far as nicks and cuts. Thank You all!

2. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

DE:s for beginners was recently discussed here.

I would recomend a [vintage] Gillette FatBoy anyday! My favourite razor! Perfect weight, easy to handle! In todays auctions on ebay, a FatBoy in good condition would set you back USD $30 to $50, a good investment! As I saw in one auction, it will increase in value as you use it! Use it a lifetime and it will still rise in value!

Another option is a Gillette SuperSpeed, a very good razor too. I have a "redtip" that I also like a lot, cost me about USD $20 on ebay. Good wieght, very gentle (I guess it's very forgiving and would suit someone that is prone for cuts and rashes very well).

I'm quite new to the "diversity" of DE, but I like Feather and IP blades. I use them for three-ish shaves, you can probably use them even more.. or less, I have read about people that only use their blades once.

3. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

I have a Merkur progressive in my collection and like it quite alot. As far as blades I would suggest you try a sample pack and see what your face likes.

Issy

4. rgarr

Thanks Issy;59942,

A sample pack of blades seems like a great idea. I'll look for a site that offers them. I appreciate your input on the Merkur Progressive.

5. rgarr

Thanks for the info mastermute;59939,

Appreciate the link and I will check out the Gillette FatBoy and the Gillette Superspeed.

6. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

SuperSpeed fan here.
    1940's model is my favorite.
    The Slim is next in line; not a supporter of the FatBoys

7. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

For what it is worth, I am switching to Straights but the ONLY DE I am keeping is my Fat Boy.

8. xChris

xChris Member

A Merkur Progress is my preferred DE razor when I use them (another SER user here). So far for me, IP blades are the best in it.

9. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Only so you can sing "I did it my way"

Issy

10. mastermute

mastermute FatBoy

If you haven't already seen it, there is an extensive post about blade sampler packs here, with links to different vendors.

11. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

Thanks mute, I would have added that but had a computer crash not long ago

Issy

12. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Don't ask me. I seem to collect the things and no, you can't have the gold ones or the Mergress. :D

13. rgarr

You all have helped me a lot and I really appreciate it but I'm going to ask you one more question since I'm somewhat confused because of so many razors mentioned. If we narrowed the starter razors down to just 3 like the Merkur HD; the Merkur Progress; and one more...then put them in order of 1 thru 3...1 being the first choice what would they be? :confused:

14. rick

SuperSpeed
    HD
    Progress

In that order :cool:

15. rgarr

Thanks rick,

That's exactly what I wanted from you guys so now I'll only have to decide between the three...maybe buying all three!!! :1respect

16. rick

well......
    if it was me, I would start with the SS and maybe......maybe the HD.
    Work those for awhile and then look at the Progress.
    Try different blades in the 2 razors before giving up on either of them.
    Trust me on this.
    PM me your address and I'll send you some different blades to try.

17. fritz

fritz New Member

I ditto my answer from TOP here.

18. mercV12

mercV12 Member

IMHO the Merkur Progress is the BEST adjustable ever made. The Fatboy and the Slim are also fantastic, but the Progress is my personal choice with a Dorco Stainless, Derby or Isreali Personna blade.

19. riffin

riffin Active Member

I'm going to pull out my Progress. I loved my Vision, but they kept breaking and I would send them back for exchange. The last time, I asked for a Progress and a Future, whose retail prices add up to about the same as the Vision. I've been using the Future (and loving it) for the last 4ish months. It's simpler and more rugged than the Vision.

Merkur has GREAT customer service, btw :)

20. riffin

riffin Active Member

Giovanni wrote an interesting article about blades and their various widths. Check it out:

http://www.razorandbrush.com/Articles.html