Methods to remember how many times you used a blade

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Shave Fu, Apr 16, 2017.

1. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

Mine is easy as well, when it tugs or gets uncomfortable it gets replaced. Could be after 2 shaves or 12. When I started I kept spreadsheet on razor blade combos how many shaves per blade by razor etc, etc
    Since I only have 2 razors now and 3 different blades I don't think about it. Shave doesn't feel right, replace the blade whenever it needs it.

BamaT, wchnu, RyX and 2 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

It seemed important to know when I started. Keeping score mattered. With a few shaves done many of us have developed the sensitivity to know what a worn blade feels like. So we shave up to that point. Blades being inexpensive others have their One & Done routine, or Three shaves and Replace. That works well in that you never experience a worn blade at the cost of a few cents per month. For those that Spreadsheet, document, and push the limits I appreciate the information gathered. While I may take the data into account when I purchase a 100 blade package, I still will choose brand/type according to how I perceive the blades treat me face.

BamaT, Taipan, wchnu and 2 others like this.
  3. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011:

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Some people set a die (singular of dice) on their counter with the count facing up.

Shave Fu likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I took a Personna Super on a long run. I made tally marks on the wrapper. This was the last of 46 shaves. It was a good run.

sod170125.JPG

BamaT, AGHisBBS, Taipan and 5 others like this.
  6. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Yeah, the problem is, that since i broke the monthly focus to try other blades, i now have 2 blades used and if i open another Derby soon, i will have 3. So i am not sure i will be able to remember which one has what shaves on it after a week. Plus, i am simply curious to see if i can make a sort of ranking about blade longevity. It's not quite the time yet, but i always see people saying how many shaves they get from a blade and so far, i didn't go past 2 on a Derby. So, eventually i want to push to see how long different blades sustain the use.

7. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

That's exactly what i do, with the difference that i haven't gone past the 2nd line! :D

Jayaruh likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I kept the wrapper and the blade. I may pick it up one day and see how it does. Maybe I can get a few more shaves out of it.

BamaT and Screwtape like this.
  9. jsw41

jsw41 Member

I've got some form of OCD; my system involves entries in a daily diary.
    For example after each shave I record blade, no. of shaves, type of razor and quality of shave;
    B=Bic chrome blade, 2=second shave, Pearl=Pearl razor, (++)=BBS
    when the touch-up passes take longer than a 3-pass shave, and weepers happen, then I know the blade is finished.
    After 2 years of keeping track, I know the blade/razor combo that is best for me, and I know the ones that don't work as well.
    Just my .05 cents.

Shave Fu likes this.
  10. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I just use a blade until I feel it start to tug, then I pitch it. IMO, thats all you need. The blade will tell you when its done.

BamaT and Screwtape like this.
  11. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Ah, the old-fashioned Blade Whisperer method...

12. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

That would be an interesting read! I don't know if 'd have the patience to do that, but i certainly like statistics! Also, if you have the "usual 100 razors", as i suspect most of the users in the forum, i suppose it's hard to keep track of what shaves how with what blade.

I intend to keep to 2 razor models. Keep it simple while having fun with a rotation. But, better master of 2 razors... I might start a database with blades for the 2 razors later too, but, i don't want to overomplicate things.

Norcalnewb and jsw41 like this.
  13. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I have settled into a routine of switching razors on Friday and use that one for the next week and switch again the next Friday. A new blade goes in each week. I typically only shave three times a week with the odd additional shave if required for social reasons.

Norcalnewb and RetLEO-07 like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Eggggggggzacally

Thanks I just nearly choked on the water I was drinking while reading thst!

15. jsw41

jsw41 Member

Yes, for me my method works, I have 3 de razors plus Bic metal and Bic sensitive disposables. I now find that I get the best shaves with a Pearl safety bar razor with a Bic Chrome blade. I am experimenting with a Laser blade. I am also getting very good results with a Merkur bakelite razor and a Derby blade. So I will use a razor/blade combo until the blade is done, then try another blade, or try another razor. I'm still perfecting my technique, so I will revisit some blades that I dismissed earlier.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  16. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

You wouldn't happen to have a Weishi or EJ DE89 by any chance? I would be very interested to see your blade statistics with them.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  17. jsw41

jsw41 Member

No, sorry, my razors are; Merkur 23c, Pearl safety bar, Merkur 45 bakelite. The Merkur 23c is a disappointment for me, probably because the blade does not mount symetrically, the blade exposure is wider at one end, and narrower at the other end.
    The single blade disposables give me acceptable shaves, and I will use them for trips to our camp, etc.

Shave Fu likes this.
  18. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Damn, thanks anyway...My DE89 has a slight blade asymmentry too...I know the disappointment feeling. But i didn't bother to send it back. Had just done an RMA the week before, i am fed up with going to post offices. Will probably buy another one for spare.

19. jsw41

jsw41 Member

I didn't return my Merkur either, if I fiddle with the blade, I can get it pretty close, but I just don't bother. Not a fan of Merkur blades either, so maybe Merkur is over-hyped. The Pearl razor has been an excellent razor, better fit and finish with plated brass handle, and did I already say it's less expensive?

Shave Fu likes this.
  20. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

Sometimes cheaper works better. In my case also, the Weishi FL costed me 8 EUR less than the DE89 knurled handle and has 0 blade asymmetry, plus it has already survived 2 drops (the one from 1.50m high). There is an Amazon review with a guy who dropped the EJ DE89 from 10cm, inside the sink and the head disintegrated.