Methods to remember how many times you used a blade

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Shave Fu, Apr 16, 2017.

1. jsw41

jsw41 Member

Now that's a razor that I would send back, warrany or not!

2. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

I bought it because it's the most popular mild razor and reccommended for beginners. So i said "i may as well buy one of these too". But they are notoriously vulnerable from drops, because the head is made of zamak alloy (pot metal). If you drop it, there is a good probability it will break. The Weishi seems more drop-resistant so far.

3. brit

brit in a box

i have 2 types of razor; 5 techs,and 5 various rockets/aristocrats that all shave similarly.i use 3 blades i use for the most part;astra sp,gillette silver blue,voskhod.i have gillette platinums,7 oclock yellows, and astra ss but they all feel similar .they all work well in my razors.3-4 shaves a week.1 blade a week then gone.same technique,prep etc,face has adapted,very little issues.no need to keep track on blade use so far.

Shave Fu likes this.
  4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I replace the blade when it starts to detoriate.
    TBH, I have no idea how long the current PPC blade has been in my Rocca ... all I know is that it is not done yet. Neither do I know for the other razor I currently have in rotation; a Fatip Grande. Not even sure what blade is in there.

Shave Fu likes this.
  5. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

My local barber shop says that any decent blade should last 3 shaves, so i don't plan to go over that. For Derbys that will likely be 2. But, for example, right now, i have a used Astra, a used Derby and a used Shark. It happens so that i remember that all have 1 shave on them. But if this should change, due to blade rotation patterns, i might not remember it. Which is why i wanted something to remind me. Otherwise changing blade always on the same day of week, is practical. The only problem being, i don't think i would like to pass a week on one Derby, which would break the the system of "starting each week".

brit likes this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I use one blade at a time, and just try and remember, if I feel one is done, I toss it.
    I tried the dice, but I had more problem remembering to turn it than remembering how many shaves.

brit likes this.
  7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Not for me; I certainly get 6+ shaves from many blades.

I just discarded the PPC blade in my Rocca after tonight's shave. I don't keep track but I think I got 8 shaves from it. There would be one more in there, I guess, but I wanted to clean the razor and put it away for now.

BamaT likes this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

sometimes i like a beer or 3 when i have my evening shave so i have to keep it simple.memory...whats that...

9. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'm usually pretty tired, so I just don't use more than two blades in two razors at any one time. I toss them when I either don't like the shave much, or I decide it's time to switch to another blade.

BamaT likes this.
  10. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I'm with @wchnu, I use a blade until it starts to tug a little. Right now I'm using a Ladas blade with about 7 shaves on it and still going strong.

Eeyore likes this.
  11. Bookworm

Oh - I pull the blade out so I can rinse it clean. Easy for a TTO, especially in the shower. If it's a 3 piece, I almost have to wait till afterwards, because the handle will fill with water.

12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I would probably have to respectfully disagree with you on this point. The vaunted Vodkhod doesn't shave well for me in any of my 7 razors. The 7:00 a.m. (not the Gillette 7:00) is so bad I can't finish one pass with a new blade. But, apparently somebody likes them because they're still being made.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
    swarden43 likes this.
  13. Bookworm

:signs011:

As I posted up in my Russian blades review thread, I found that Voskhod worked okay in a 3 piece, but was horrible in a TTO. I've found a couple of blades like that. I think it's how the blades are made, combined with how the blade is held in a type of razor.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

But the problem is not the blade then. It is a technique issue. If the blade is not dull and the razor is not damaged good technique will trump equipment issues. A dollar store blade will give as good a shave as a whatever other blade. I get consistant great shaves from them no matter what razor I put them in. If you were to take one of your bad blades and spend 30 days working with it I bet you would see it works just fine.

brit and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Interesting. What does it matter how the blade is held. The user adjust the angle of the blade to the face. Blades all measure about the same right? If the bevel is a bit different why can a user not adjust for that with angle. Technique trumps tools.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This is where it all falls apart, the conventional advice anyway. If we listened to the conventional DE advice for newbies, we'd conclude that everyone doing Straights was lying and just posting photos to be cool. They'd be far too aggressive for anyone's "skin type" or whatever.

Shaving is simply moving a blade bevel parallel to the skin, at a 20-25 degree angle. All razors do this.

All razors are the same.

17. Bookworm

The blade measurement is part of the issue. When many of these razors were made, the blades were .006. Now, they're all (but one?) .004. That's a 33.3r% reduction in the thickness, with a consummate increase in the flex of the blades. Depending on the alloy, the tempering, and the grind, there can be a significant amount of chatter and bend for certain blades with certain razors. @rabidus, over at B&B, likes the post war techs because they clamp the blade further out towards the edge than the pre-war techs, and also prefers the late 40's TTO's over the others. (There are actual photos showing the difference in how the blade is held)

That's part of why I think that someone shouldn't just say "Oh, it's technique". Technique IS a lot of it, but there is a small amount that is lubricant, another small amount that is the razor, another the blade, and the last is the face of the user. That's why we have some people that love the Derby, and so many that dislike it. I find it no worse than the Dollar General blades, and only mildly different from the Personna 'dollar store' blades. It was -better- than the Voskhod, which seemed to go bad after the first shave, or maybe during it. The Rapira, THAT was good. So was the Nacet. I haven't found a blade yet that I can't use for an acceptable shave. It's just how much discomfort I'm willing to endure. (not necessarily with nicks or abrasions)

So, what I do is advise people to find a razor they like, a blade that works with the razor for their face, and not worry as much about the rest. I do advise to try more blades eventually, because there might be better :) Heck, even if it's technique, if they find a razor that hits a good angle with their current grip, then they've found a great razor to use. Less stress for the learning curve.

BamaT likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

I tell them to buy a razor that looks cool and master it.

Eeyore and Bookworm like this.
  19. Bookworm

So, the Heljestrand straight razor I bought is the EXACT same steel as a Derby, right? And sharpened the same way?

20. Bama Samurai

You seem to focus on problems. I focus on universal solutions. To a newbie there wouldn't be a difference, and it's irrelevant to my statement, because they would both be employed in a path parallel to the skin at a low angle of attack. TMI confuses newbies. That's how they end up with 58 DE razors and still can't get an auto BBS out of any of them three years later. I read it every day.

Bookworm likes this.