Methods to remember how many times you used a blade

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Shave Fu, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I do this to mine [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I think so.

3. drwevil

drwevil Well-Known Member

It certainly does but it comes down to experience.... I have been known to change blade mid shave. But you have to be careful and make sure your hands etc are dry. Wet slippery hands and razor could lead to a cut.... it at your own risk sort of things and generally not advisable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s and gorgo2 like this.
  4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Me too. I've parked blades after a good shave, alcohol rinsed and the whole bit, then go to use it again and it feels rough. I swap it out. No big deal. It's just a blade. There are more where that came from.

5. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

For me, it's pretty simple. Given that I am shaving a lot of "real estate"- legs (ankle to top of thigh) and underarms, 2 complete shaves is my limit. So if there is a blade in the razor, I have used it once. If the razor is empty, it's time to start a new one.

Bookworm likes this.
  6. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Its hard to believe anyone could shave with a blade 7 times. No lt that I dont believe you, more than I dont see how you get a blade to last that long.

I'm a noob but that being said I cant seem to get a blade past 3 and the 3rd is noticibly dull. Gillette Platinum Plus worked for 3 but the 4th crewed me up. My new blades Im trying Astra SP were amazing on the first but by thw 3rd shave required multiple wtg passes just to cut all the hair....

Maybe I'm screwing something up.... I admittedly have fairly dense and corse hair that seems to burn out blades, main reason I left carts.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I humbly suggest your blade angle is too high, and you're rolling the bevel and dulling the blade. With precise techniques, I've had a GSB last 27 shaves, 17 for a Derby. The keratin in hair is no match for stainless steel, regardless of how "dense or coarse" it may be, but scraping the blade edge against the skin causes plastic deformation much like stropping--but in a bad way.

8. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

@Bama Samurai is correct about the plastic deformation. It's the same effect as if you grabbed a sheet of thin metal, pinched the end, and bent it up and down while moving along the edge. You'll end up with a nice wavy edge, which means you can't actually catch the right angle for cutting, eventually. Even more than the skin, the keratin is strong enough that while you're cutting, it's grabbing and bending.

That said, even with wonderful form, there are some blades that just won't take the abuse for long, depending on the hair, skin, and even the soap/foam/goo you use. They're not all sourced from the same steel, ground with the same stones, or painted with the same materials. (Sorry @Bama Samurai - they're not all the same. :) )

9. Bama Samurai

It's all razors are the same. Never said it about blades. I'll help you get there!

In all seriousness, the steel used in the Moscow blade plants is the best DE stuff out there.

Eeyore likes this.
  10. Bookworm

Oh yeah - the Rapira Fiat Lux (sic) and the Gillette Nacet are sweet. Not so much the Voskhod.

Mind you, I can shave with just about anything. I've just found certain razors and certain blades don't get along, because every razor shaves a bit differently. Some have more chatter, different angle geometry. Everything before 1960 or so was designed for the thicker .006 blades, so the .004 blades later aren't held the same way.

The NEW seems to be doing okay with the Astra. It was so-so with the Derby, but I found I shaved my face completely, no nicks or weepers, and forgot to twist the razor completely shut. I just picked my angle and went to town. *shrug* Guess that says how long I've used them.

11. Bama Samurai

I agree about the system. Derby is better is high radial curve heads with gap, like Fatip. New is too shallow for a blade that isn't crazy sharp. (assuming optimal angkes) IMHO, if Astra SP isn't working... It's indeed a technique issue!

12. Bookworm

I found that the FaTip Piccolo was terrible with the Astra, but was okay with the Derby. Believe me, my technique may not be up to Rabidus at B&B, but I don't need to spend hours poring over the blade. I get a good angle that takes the hair off with no sandpaper effect, and a clean shave, and I'm happy. I get a good shave with one pass, a great shave with two, and I can do a BBS if I just do those two slower, with a tiny bit of extra work under the chin and nose.

13. Bama Samurai

My comment was unclear, apologies. I was talking about Astra in the New. I had same experience with Fatip and sharper blades. Much more comfortable and easy with a Derby.

14. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Im using a super speed flare. Im sure I need sure up my technique but everytime I go past 3 (2-3 pass) shaves I get a lot of tugging and thats the only time Ive knicked myself.

15. Bookworm

Ah. I'm not totally sold on the NEW yet, but then, I haven't tried it with the Astra and a weeks worth of hair. I suspect it might be better with the Rapira. I'll be testing out some of the no-name generic razors next.

16. Bookworm

Which blade, or is that any blade?

17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I do pull the carbon SE blades each time because they rust so quickly.

18. Bookworm

+1

The stainless steel ones won't rust in the short time they'll sit in the razor. (although I have photos of one that DID rust that I need to post).

If you're going to be letting the razor sit for weeks while you do a rotation, then yes, pull the blade and move to the next razor.

MR41 likes this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I dry the blade and razor and leave it. Never have issues with them.

MR41 likes this.
  20. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Sorry SS Flare with Astra SP. Shave every other day.

Gillette Platnium Plus was similar after 3 shaves.