michigan retailers

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by wklmmmm, Mar 25, 2009.

1. wklmmmm

wklmmmm New Member

new to this forum/board;

also REALLY considering changing over to a safety razor - but i would really like to investigate them in person - no 1st buys over the internet sight unseen; so i was wondering, where in the northern suburbs of detroit are there barber supply stores / chains that sell safeties? been around and cant find the handles- or do istart looking at salvation army stores?
    ty for your inputs

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Welcome to The Shave Den, wklmmmm!

All I can suggest is checking out antique shops in your area for safety razors.

3. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

Welcome!

You can search antique/junk store for vintage razors or I'm sure some barber supply or Men's grooming shops should be around with such a large population base to serve.

4. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

i cant see kroger or meijer selling them. if they do thats a miracle. a little further north and you might find something.

5. DarkAudit

DarkAudit Active Member

One of the Krogers here is the largest in WV, and they don't carry DE razors.

Antique stores, flea markets, or estate sales are the only options really to find DE razors up close and personal.

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Any old, small mom and pop style drug stores in your area? They may have something left over on their shelves.

Possibly some immigrant communities nearby? You might be able to find a new razor in those neighborhoods.

7. Dexterous

Dexterous Member

I'm west of Detroit and I've never seen a DE razor for sale in any shop (including the ethnic groceries) in Ann Arbor, my main shopping area. It's difficult enough to get quality DE and injector blades. I mail order my blades.

I have scored a nice Gem Micromatic ($8), a gold fat-handled Gillette Tech ($10), and a nearly new Rolls Razor ($18) in the local antique shops. Usually the owners don't know much about them and they sell at a fraction of what they sell for on eBay. There are good buys on this board and on a couple of other shaving message boards.

8. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

now that i think about it, troy or w bloomfield? way over priced though. if theres even anything there.

9. JimR

JimR Active Member

Welcome to the den...I hope you have some luck in your search, thought it sounds like you've got your work cut out for you.

10. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Dont mean to try to disuade you but I find as a general rule safetys are not seen as "trendy" or "modern" and a rule are not available unless you order them via the information superhighway. Sometimes you can find them at antique shops but only then not in large metro areas and only in smaller towns that specialize in antique shops. Here is an example of what I mean - Berkly Springs, WV is a small town in the West Virginia panhandle that attracts visitors via its many antique shops, on the town's web site they sort of put the fact that the town has antique shops as their main selling point. Berkly Springs had two safety razors for sale in one of their smaller antique shops. In my humble opinon its towns like Berkly Springs where you are going to find the sort of items that you are looking for.

11. wklmmmm

wklmmmm New Member

found 2 !!!!

on this past rainy sunday we found 2 gillettes! both at an antique/country store /craft store; both are screw apart heads; 1 gold finish and 1 that i think is a travel razor - maybe 3in long handle; both have 2 piece heads; gold:$18 silver mini:$6 ; now to just figure out what they are exactly, clean/sterilize them and try em!!!!!! now to find soaps/creams/brush!!!