MicroTouch One?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by sgtrock, Nov 25, 2013.

1. sgtrock

sgtrock New Member

Any one had any experience with one of these? I am considering purchasing one, but am a little mistrustful of something hawked by a psuedocelebrity.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Is that the one PawnStar Rick pushes? If so, save your money.

3. sgtrock

sgtrock New Member

That would be the one. Thankfully I asked here before my curiosity got the better of my wallet. Straight shaving is great, I just want to expand my collection....i mean shaving experiences.

4. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

That razor looks a lot like a Weishi. If you want one, you can find them for a whole lot less. Or you can buy something a lot nicer for the same money.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Pawnstars is a joke.

You could go in there asking for change for a dollar and he would say "Sorry, the best I can do is 65 cents."

JRod22 likes this.
  6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Also, no telling what those blades are that come with. They could be made from rusty beer cans.

7. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

He says "24 razor blades, that's enough for one full year" ........ for who? that's around 15 shaves per blade. It's happened but it's unlikely

8. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

I've gotten that many from Personna lab/med blues, of course I doubt that's what they're supplying.

9. Mouser

Mouser Well-Known Member

yeah, I've gotten close to that before, but with better blades I'm sure. My average with good ones is 3 to 4.

10. burnout961

burnout961 Well-Known Member

That's my average too, the Personnas are the exception.

11. casper

casper Member

if your interested in the micro touch, look at the van der hagen razor. ive heard these and the weishi's are kind of mild but you could always put a shim under the blade, or a blade with no edges underneath the blade your gonna use. but the vdh razor is chrome plated brass and if i was to get one of the timor, vincent, weishi ones id get the vdh one, just cause its a better quality. the chrome plated weishi might be about the same, but now sure if its brass. so check it out at amazon, for like 24 bux. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E6BQEEA/?tag=thshde-20

12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I have a friend who ordered the Micro Touch. It is very poorly made

13. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Of course there's always the well reputed Silver Tone Razor on Amazon that goes for around $3.00 with free shipping. Heard very good things about this one, plus it's much cheaper than the Micro Touch.

14. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Caution about using a shim with any TTO type razor...I use shims on all of my 3 piece razors(Gillette,Weber,Cadet, etc) and find that they do work well for me, but on a TTO type(both vintage Gillette and Feather Popular) razor using shims will tend to jam up the doors...If you want a TTO that can be made more aggressive I think you'd be better served with a Gillette adjustable, I don't own a modern adjustable...
    I also agree if you want a TTO type razor I'd go for a Gillette SuperSpeed, Aristocrat or Adjustable over a Weishi,Timor,Parker, etc. You may pay more,but I.M.O. your getting "ALOT" better razor :)

15. mantic

mantic U TOOB

I have to disagree here. I "took one for the team"--twice--and have both the MT1 bought online and another one that just started appearing at "megamart" outlets (e.g. Wally World). They'll never be mistaken for a Merkur or Edwin Jagger, but I think they are of a reasonable quality for a newbie shaver. Now *value* on the other hand is a whole different question. The online kit with the "free" (HA!) extra blades that you have to pay additional P&H for runs almost $33 which is way more than it's worth. The slightly different kit available at W (chrome razor stand instead of a travel case, fewer blades) is a more reasonable $19.88 (but I'm betting it'll only be around for the Holiday season).

SRNewb and zec668 like this.
  16. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

I just saw your blog post yesterday about the MT1 at Wally World. I'm going to swing by there today and see if they have it here. For $20, I'll give it a try. If for no other reason, maybe it'll encourage retailers to carry more traditional stuff. Strange that Wally World seems to have quit carrying DE blades just before this move.

17. Unis

Unis Active Member

18. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

19. Unis

Unis Active Member

Oh really? Is weishi any good? Don't know to much about them

20. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Weishi makes most rebranded TTO's like the Microtouch. They're usually pretty good. You can find them on ebay for $10-15 or so. They're replicas of a Gillette Super Speed.