Mild & Aggressive blades... Help?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ravien99, Feb 27, 2011.

1. ravien99

ravien99 New Member

So far i've only used wilkinsons from walmart (not the white packed ones) and feathers.. I can see a huge difference with the feathers, those babies are sharp!! So here is my problem, I always get a lot of weepers with either blade.. I've worked hard on the no pressure thing, i'll have to try the angles a bit more. So can anyone offer some words on a mild blade of high quality that the feathers have? Oh and my razor is the EJ89..

Oh and I switch between tabac and co big almost every shave..

2. Steve_1993

Steve_1993 Member

I haven't used any either of these blades yet and it can't really tell you what a mild one is but I have heard that the feathers are the Nima swords of shaving, super sharp, I would. Only use them if I had a few days of growth on, only thing I can say and it's what I have heard on some of the forums and that is ton get a sample pack that has multiple brands in it and find out what one works best for you

3. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

I would suggest a sampler pack from any of our vendors. I've been DE shaving for a year and a half and have used about 15 to 20 different blades. Each has their own characteristic and some perform differently in different razors. With a sampler, you can jockey the blades around to your different razors and find which combination works best for you. It's kind of a daunting task, but fun, given all the various blades available.

4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

+1 on getting a sampler!

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

You'll definitely want a sampler. But I'll also add what you're experiencing is a rough shave. It could be the blades, I find the Wilkinson blades rough myself, or it could be technique. Remember, NO pressure and take your time. Then work through a sample pack.

6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Can't really add anything that hasn't been said already, but I'll throw in that the Wally Wilkies work very well for me and Feathers shred me. It could be that neither blade likes you. So, work on the technique and NO PRESSURE while you wait for a sampler pack.

Are you switching over from cartridges by any chance?

7. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Feathers are murder on my skin. Although I have a very strong beard, I cannot use this brand, because I always get terrible cuts.

8. ravien99

ravien99 New Member

yes I switched a few months ago..

9. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

The worst part switching over for me was the pressure. With a cart you can pretty much use whatever pressure you want and you get used to that. I stopped getting weepers when I learned pressure control. Pressure is a very bad habit leftover from carts. I'd be willing to bet that is the culprit.

Either way dude, don't fret, it will get better.

10. sfbagger

sfbagger New Member

I'll bet battle.munky is right. After a lifetime of electrics and and carts, pressure and angle took months to learn, with angle being the hardest. I now get cut free shaves with no burn every time with my EJ DE89L and Feathers, no matter what the soap or cream.

...so long as I pay attention to what I'm doing!

It'll get better,

Jeff