Mildest Razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tylervanstone, Aug 7, 2017.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Schick Krona is a mild DE if you can accept a Vintage. Many Head Shavers like them for the flat cap and automatic angle.

BigMark83 and Kilgore Trout like this.
  2. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

You know me so well. The Krona is my go-to for head shaves.

My mildest "new" razor: Merkur 34c, widely available.

My mildest vintage razor: Gillette Tech, also widely available.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That's what I thought ... I bet my son gets her one for Christmas. :happy102: Might not go over too well.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  4. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

First some words of caution. It might sound paradoxical, but mildest razors are not necessary the easiest razors for a beginner. It is because a super mild razor will only give a close shave if you keep it at a perfect angle. This is a skill that takes some time to acquire. Many seem to try to compensate the wrong angle with some pressure. Some add pressure just because they expect to feel some blade. Even a mild razor will give irritation if you add pressure. If the skin bulges in you have too much pressure.

The traditionally most recommended razors are Edwin Jagger and Merkur 34C. They I classify as medium razors. Then we have milder razors like Gillette Tech and Super Speed. Both have modern clones, if you do not like "pre-loved" razors. For Tech, RiMei from dx.com is a good and very cheap alternative (< $5). I have converted a few to wet shaving using RiMei and these razors have lasted many years and still not been breaking. There are even cheaper sources than dx.com for RiMei, but it becomes a gamble as many of the cheaper sources are selling a pirated version of RiMei, and those are worthless.

But you asked for the mildest razors. Then if that is what you want, forget the most common "beginners" razors. Yes, there are even milder razors than post-war Tech and Super Speed. The following razors my children (who have yet not reached shaving age) have been playing with loaded with Feather blades (sharpest blades available). They have "shaved" with them without getting any cut or nicks.

Merkur Open Comb razors
    At least mine from 2013 is having negative blade exposure, making it a super mild razor. The comb design makes it extra clog proof, so it will easily mow down some weeks of growth without clogging. This razor is able to shave only because the skin is flexing enough to get to the blade.

Saiver razors loaded with only one blade
    There are two versions of these razors: one travelers version with safety bar on both side and then a version with open comb on one side and safety bar on the other. The one with open comb is not symmetrical. They have made the open comb side slightly less mild than the safety bar side.

These razors are a bit odd, because they are meant to be loaded with two blades. This I find just stupid. I always load mine like this: Cap -> included shim -> blade -> base plate -> handle (so only one blade)

If loaded in this way, this razor is milder than a Tech, but still a great smooth shaver.
    These razors can often be had new and unused for <$10 including shipping at ebay. I find them to have a great build quality. I get very close and good shaves from them.

iKon X3
    This is the most expensive razor I am going to recommend (but well inside of your budget). It is also my favorite razor and if I would need to reduce my shaving den to only one razor, this is what I would keep.

This is a slant razor, having the blade angled like a guillotine. This makes the shave more comfortable as you feel less tugging in your whiskers. It is also a very smooth shaver. My child says it feels so smooth, when he has tried it, and I can not but agree.
    This razor is all about keeping right angle instead of adding pressure. You would really need to listen to the feedback of this razor in order to be able to keep the angle. Right used, it is like this razor would know the difference between skin and beard and magically just remove the beard.

While the shave is perfect (in my opinion, shaving is ymmv), it got one problem: It is very difficult to load the blade as the blade tabs are covered and it is not automatically aligning the blade. You will have to push the blade edge with something in order to manually align the blade before tightening down. I hate this, but I am also accepting it because I love the shave I get. The result is close and no irritation.

This razor can be had for $55 at Maggard razors.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Rufus T., RyX and Keithmax like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Merkur MK 23C, has a long knurled handle, which the long handle Jagger doesn't have and similar head design.

6. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I just checked dx.com, and noticed all RiMei razors are sold out at the monent, so RiMei seems to not be an alternative at this moment unless someone else is having another trusted source for them.

7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

For a top end stainless steel mild razor check out the Feather AS-D2. A colleague bought one from Massdrop and the build on the razor is superb and it looks to be very mild. You can also find it on Amazon.

RyX likes this.
  8. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Three razors that have really impressed me and that fit your listed requirements are the Weishi 9306 family, the Feather Popular and the most likely Baili rebranded Viking Chieftain. They are all well made, easy to use, mild but efficient razors.

9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

What's mild to me might not be mild for you.
    For me any of the DE89 heads are nice and efficient, also the Gillette Fatboy is nice and efficient/mild.
    Technique Trump's Tools.

RyX likes this.
  10. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

DSCN6495_c202d290-a98b-4718-aa11-099f36ff84a9_large.jpg Above the tie m1 head. Mildest I've encountered.

11. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

The Feather Popular. Less than $20

12. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

1/3 to 1/4 of the price of an AS-D2.

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup.
    Learn how to use the tools ya got and all of 'em can be mild.

Kypros Christodoulides and RyX like this.
  14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMHO, it's a tie between this:
    IMG_0306.JPG Super Speed Black Tip
    And this:
    IMG_0536.JPG Schick Krona
    Just sayin'...

15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Feather AS-D2
    Available right now on our BST for a very attractive price.

PanChango and RyX like this.
  16. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

This is a good read, lots of good info here.

17. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

The RazoRock Baby Smooth is a seriously mild razor, and surprisingly efficient to boot. I'm finding myself reaching for it as a daily driver more frequently than my other daily driver, an ATT-M1.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
    Jim99 and BigMark83 like this.
  18. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

My Blue Tip Super Speeds are are the epitome of mild, especially when paired with my favorite blade - the Derby.

A Blue Tip and a Derby? Smooooooth goodness.

Jim99 likes this.
  19. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Yep. And if it is still available in a few weeks it will be mine :-D

PanChango likes this.
  20. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

LOVE the Popular. The most underrated razor there is, in my opinion. And I got both of mine off eBay for around $10 each.