Mildest Razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tylervanstone, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

A great value for a razor is the the Rockwell 6S. Six razors in one; as mild or as aggressive as you desire and stainless steel.

Yehuda D likes this.
  2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements double open comb razor.

It's mild and effective.

The Gillette tech and blue tip would be my other two recommendations for a mild razor.

Enrico and PanChango like this.
  3. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

The Weishi is extremely mild - so mild that I can't get even a DFS from it unless I do at least five passes. That's how tough my bloody beard is. :(

Talneharus, Enrico and PanChango like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have never tried PAA or a Gillette Blue tip, but I find the regular Flare nice and mild as well as my Techs.

I've alway heard about the Weishi, but was told it was similar to a mild SS. So already having many of those, I didn't think I needed one.

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It sold.

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Some people even forgo all the geometry. I think after a point, mild encourages pressure to make the razor cut more efficiently. This can lead to a really bad experience with a razor like a Tech.

Eeyore likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Open blades like Straights or shavettes produce the least irritation and allow shaves in minimal passes. Maybe time to try something new?

8. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

With deft skill, a pre-war tech will deliver a BBS shave. I recommend trying one.

rreynoso72 likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: Fat handle's one of my favorites!

10. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

To me :bounce015:

The wife gave me the go ahead.

Enrico likes this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Enjoy it ... for me I'm thinking about a Rockwell 6S.

Knox likes this.
  12. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Ohhhh, I almost forgot to mention the Goodfella. That's also very mild.

13. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

Gillette Blue tip or a tech. Done

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

14. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

Hi Tyler, I'm a newbie at this with just two years experience with all kinds of DEs and SEs (mostly injectors).

If you are a relative newbie to this type of shaving, I would echo posts from many of the shaving wise men on this site - technique trumps tools. They are 100% correct in my experience.

After a full month or two (or more) with an old Gillette Tech and a good deal of coaching from the folks on the 30-Day thread, I went down a path of trying every vintage DE I could find. A joyous ride. That was followed by a year of injectors and SEs and similar bliss.

I have literally no experience with present day DEs or SEs.

Last caveat, I also agree with fellow denizens that such things are a personal issue - every shaver has different face, technique and perspective.

All that said, my recommendation for mildest and easiest (most comfortable and forgiving):

A vintage Schick L injector.

For injector blades try modern Schick blades made in China (check Walgreens online for good price in bulk) or for a real treat find some NOS Schick Twin injector blades.

The Schick L can be found down by the Bay for around $20.
    NOS Schick Twin blades take a bit longer to find but wash up by the Bay from time to time.

All this of course is just my two cents.
    (as he girds his defenses against the onslaught of DE fans) ;)

Cheers,
    RT

ps - positive karma your way for better health ahead. :)

John Ruschmeyer likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Just an FYI, OP purchased a Restored 1960 Gillette Fat Boy.

16. rreynoso72

rreynoso72 New Member

Totally, my Fat Handle is my DD. Also I love how it looks.[​IMG]

Enviado desde mi 5010G mediante Tapatalk

Enrico, Marine68, Dansco and 2 others like this.
  17. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Here are some of mine:

IMG_20170809_231409.jpg

Enrico, Marine68 and rreynoso72 like this.
  18. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

The Van Der Hagen-Weishi 9306 is a good mild razor that, with a sharp blade loaded in (Feather or Treet Carbon Steel), will give you a good close shave. I've found it is even more efficient than my 1974 black-handled Super Speed, and somewhat longer in the handle, too.

19. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Couple of mentions already for the Schick Krona. (P.s. saw Enrico's post about the Fat Boy. Just my 2 cents)

I found it so "mild" that although it was impossible to cut myself with it, I ended up with a DFS after just about 4 passes instead of a BBS after 2 (+some touch up work) with my rocket HD.

It went straight on sale. Didn't use it again.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
    RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've got a couple Kronas. They were passed to me by my father. He said he switched to Bic disposable carts when he couldn't find Wilkie DE blades anymore. I've seen them available so I ought to order him a couple tucks and pass those too mild for my taste DE back to him.
    Eversharp.gif
    Even with a sharp blade, just too mild for me.

Enrico likes this.