Million dollar razor???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Kyhunter, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

I saw two of these shavers in an antique booth, what are they and are they worth much. Both of them had boxes which looked perfect.

2. mycarver

mycarver New Member

I'm sorry Ky, I don't see a link or photo.

3. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

I think the Million Dollar Razor was a Valet Autostrop. I don't know much about the particular model, but I enjoy my Auto Strop. One thing you should know is you will probably need special blades for it. I use Feather SE blades in mine.

4. Kyhunter

Kyhunter Active Member

well that anwers on of my questions. I havent bought it yet and Im not sure I will, I had my eye on a very nice looking rolls. I may go back and see if it is complete and has good looking parts.

5. RocketMan

RocketMan Active Member

The Million Dollar Razor was a marketing tactic used by the Auto Strop Co. beginning in 1928. This was a time when they were really beginning to turn up the heat on Gillette - just a couple of years really before they swept the company from under The Kings feet.

They claimed to have produced one million razors in this package, which were to be sold for a dollar each. The Million Dollar Razor(s). They were sold with the red box, a strop and the mid 20's version razor which had tabs for the Valet blade cut outs. You do require cut out blades for these - you can use the new Feather Haney blades if you can get hold of them. The pins are not really modifiable and many people (me included) have ruined the razor trying.

If you want to pick one or both up for a collectible, keep in mind that they are somewhat common since so many were made. However, they are not always in great shape - the boxes at least. So, if the box is mint, the strop is unused and the razor has the cardboard blade blank in it - go for it. It is a nice piece to add to your pile if you enjoy the history and hobby element of razor collecting. Fair price for NOS- 12.00-18.00??