Mitchell's Soap--Worth it--yes/no?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by razoir, Feb 19, 2009.

1. razoir

razoir New Member

Those of you who use it, you like it?

Thanks for any feedback on the soap and, briefly, how to use it if you have nice tips.

Danke!

Razoir

2. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Just ordered my first puck as well. I am also interested in comments on this soap.

3. Shep

Shep The Shep Abides

Quite a few threads on MWF lately gents. One of them is only a couple threads down. Here it is. Here is another.

4. bonzo

bonzo New Member

Use more soap than you usually do. That seems to be a general consensus (at least on SMF).

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

For starters, check out the review section. My personal opinion is that MWF is the best soap I've tried and totally worth every penny. I think most of the guys who have trouble lathering it either aren't making good lather from any soap, have terribly hard water, or are using "tricks" before trying to lather it like any other soap and creating problems that shouldn't exist in the first place. OTOH, it is a little pickier about technique and water ratio than my other soaps, so I wouldn't recommend it for a first soap. But, once you can make good lather from one or two others soaps I wouldn't be afraid to try it. If you're still on the fence, order a sample from TSD store.

6. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Yes. It doesnt take any mroe soap. And lathers better than most. Great stuff.

7. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

That 2nd post has some pics I put on there. I think the stuff is good and will last 9 months with day to day shaving. The scent is nothing that great but good for the skin and quite moisturizing. I prefer Tabac but thats just me. Not a bad investment at all.

8. Hiya,

I foolishly waited two years before trying MWF......heh, don't ask why it took so long. Once I did finally try it, the soap was immediately added to my small, but selective rotation. I'll use that, or else choose DR Harris or Institut Karite most mornings.

It's really not expensive, and a puck can be had for under $15, which includes shipping. No idea of how many shaves this will provide, but it's gotta be a lot. The scent is clean and soapy, but not offensive at all to me. It smells sorta healthy, if that makes sense. Oh, and zero hint of any mutton scent......heh.

I make the lather the same as I would a hard soap like DR Harris or Institut Karite. I start with a little wetter brush than I would with a glycerin base, and I spent about 20-25 seconds loading up the brush.

Well worth the money,
    Martin

9. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I agree it's a very, very good soap, however, I get irritation from it. A much cheaper soap like Erasmic works perfectly for me.

10. ThePossum

ThePossum Member

It's good stuff. Would not buy the soap and dish. too expensive. But will buy the refill puck. One I have now was a trade.

Nice lather, no problem getting good lather. Okay scent but like the Tabac much much better.

Tabac and MWF lather both very good

Would recommend both MWF and Tabac.

11. JimR

JimR Active Member

Yes it is. No hesitation.

12. Mr. Igg

Mr. Igg New Member

Pretty much my sentiments, although I'm not sure how much better I like Tabac's scent.

13. JayKay

MWF by it self is amazing. I use it in conjunction with whatever scented cream I'm in the mood for that day. I love TSD subzero and MWF. Super laters are amazing with it and add some great scents.

14. rollsshaver

rollsshaver Peace be with you

Dude, that is the same frickin' superlather I have been doing with it!!!

Unbelievable!!!!

15. 1969Fatboy

1969Fatboy New Member

I see the thread has pretty much exhausted but Paul at Connaughtshaving has the best price hands down on MWF. I test ran a total with bowl for like $33 shipped? The puck is cheap as well:)

16. Truckman

Truckman New Member

I get great lather from Tabac, IK, PdP, Ogallala, DVH, Erasmic....all the soaps I own I get great lather from. Except MWF.

I have a water softener, so I certainly do not have terribly hard water.

What "tricks" are you talking about that create problems that shouldn't exist in the first place? Maybe I'm doing them without even realizing it....

It's been a while since I tried it last. Maybe I'll give it another shot soon, although I think my skin is just sensitized to it for whatever reason. I have found that things that didn't work for me the first time or two, have since come around....

17. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

I just bought the soap and ceramic dish from Paul. Roughly $30 before shipping. He is by far the cheapest.

I see no reason not to get the dish. Yes the refill puck is cheap but would you buy a car without air conditioning?

18. JayKay

I'm with you rolls. I love the stuff. The added menthol just blows my mind.

As for tricks, there really are none. You rub it all over the soap, put it to your face, and have at it. No big deal. Very easy to lather. Possibly the easiest soap I've ever used. I recently tried a very cheap AOS brush with a ton of back bone and just couldnt get some of their cream to lather. I use a vulfix brush normally and its go a tiny bit of back bown, its not a floppy feather, but it is just great for face lathering. I can just put it against my face and spread it out all over. It could be your brush has too much backbone?