Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap Review

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Shaver X, Jul 2, 2016.

1. nav

nav Well-Known Member

I just love MWF.
    Used it this morning and it was just awesome in every way!

I guess my 8 pucks should last a while :D

Vlasta, Kokak, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  2. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

@nav 8 pucks of MWF will last you 48 months of shaving that about 4 years ;) if you only used MWF full time :happy088:

Vlasta, Kokak and Zykris like this.
  3. nav

nav Well-Known Member

I use it in a rotation of about 70 soaps so i think it's likely to last about 48 years instead of months lol

Vlasta and SpeedyPC like this.
  4. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

:shocked003::mog:

nav likes this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

The Fat is on deck for Wool Fat Wednesday!
    A/S TBD

Vlasta and PLAla like this.
  6. nav

nav Well-Known Member

I'm on extended travels and have brought only 3 soaps. MWF will be in use 90% of the time.

Used it today (with an Evershave quarter moon synth) and had a sublime shave.

MWF is a very special soap!!

7. Vlasta

Vlasta Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    All hail The Fat. Long live The Fat

Slicker than snot and smoother than fine butter. Just had a three pass with one of my fave razors - SSA Ekilstuna 4/4" French point - a dainty little razor but hellish sharp. Pre-shave with ProRaso pre-shave cream and leave it on while I whip The Fat with a teeny badger I picked up in Japan. Fat whipped, razor stropped 50 linen/50 leather, lather up and B-I-N-G-O. Just beautiful. Finished off with Truefitt & Hill Indian Limes balm and a layer of Portugal 4711 AS. It cannot get better surely?

By the way - all COLD WATER as the weather here is sucking big time hot and humid at the moment.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  8. RetLEO-07

IMG_1116.JPG
    The Fat followed by Clubman. It don't get much better!

9. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Did the same today. In fact, all week so far.

Shaver X, Zykris and RetLEO-07 like this.
  10. RetLEO-07

Thing I like about the Fat is every A/S I have works with it.

Shaver X and GatorJoe like this.
  11. RetLEO-07

Used the Fat this morning paired up with my MMOC loaded with a PAL.
    2.5 passes of shaving excellence!
    Great face feel post shave and a splash of Fine "American Blend" led to a great start to my day!

Shaver X, Zykris and SpeedyPC like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

One the big perks of using the Fat for me, aside from the great lather & post-shave feel, is the light scent doesnt conflict with whatever stink scent one chooses for aftershave.

13. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Great review! I really like Mitchell's as well! Haslinger is good, but for me, it doesn't replace Mitchell's!!

Zykris and SpeedyPC like this.
  14. RetLEO-07

IMG_1225.JPG
    Wool Fat Wednesday :happy036:

Linuxguile, Shaver X, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I remarked about this last week and wondered if anyone has the same impression. The lather that I get on the brush when loading from the ceramic container looks a little bit foamy. But once I start face lathering it transforms to beautiful, hydrated, slick, and protective lather. It doesn't look right on the brush but looks great once lathered. Anyone share that experience?

Linuxguile and RetLEO-07 like this.
  16. RetLEO-07

Yup. Worried me the first time I used it. Then I saw that it does this all the time. I make sure to get my face nice and wet. No worries

Shaver X, Zykris and PLAla like this.
  17. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

This is another product I am going to master. I gave Feathers another shot, and this will get it's chance again. Not to mention I really like the scent.

18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I think I have about twelve soaps. Stirling of a few types, Arko, Palmolive, Oleo, Maggards, Chiseled Face...but I'm always grabbing Mitchell's. I'm so addicted to this soap. Love the performance!

Linuxguile, GatorJoe and Shaver X like this.
  19. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

Another nod for the fat. When I first got it I could not get it to lather for the life of me so I chucked it into the back of my shelf and left it there for a long time. And then I got my first synthetic brush and gave it another try. First lather was perfect and I fell in love with the performance, I was already in love with the scent. At the time I had well over 30 soaps that I switched out every shave and after my first shave with the fat I stuck with it for about 6 months straight. Using another soap never even crossed my mind. At that point I had barely put a dent into the puck.

At this point I have tried at least 100 scents/soaps and MWF is top 3 for scent and performance and #1 for post shave feel.

Zykris, Shaver X, PLAla and 1 other person like this.
  20. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I have done my shave den a disservice.
    I have neglected the Fat. At first I wasn't too impressed with it. In fact I found it a rather bland and a mediocre soap. That changed when Mr. Planofman showed me how to properly soak the soap and I grew to love and respect it.

My love was shortlived however and I more or less forgot about it.
    The sight that met me when I picked it out of my den this morning was nothing if not horrific.

IMG_4759.JPG

This container once filled with a glorious soap, but due to neglect, has shrunk down to a lifeless husk.

It reminded me of Lord Darth Vader before the battle of Endor and his betrayel of the Emperor.
    Once so mighty and powerful in the force, now just a shadow of its former self. Small and impotent with no power left.

A soap like Mitchells Wool Fat deserved a better destiny. I ought to be ashamed of myself.