Mitchell's Wool Fat

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Marine68, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

The Fat is, as my father used to say, "slippery 'n snot on a doorknob".

Herm

Erik Redd likes this.
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am on the opposite side of this coin. I did this to a puck and all of the lanolin leeched out. Ruined the puck.

3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

So far, I haven’t had to treat this any different than any of my other soaps. I have no issues lathering with a damp brush.

4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Hmmm... Did you pour the water on with your left or right hand?

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    There's the problem.

cmorris357 likes this.
  6. Kevinwine85

Kevinwine85 Well-Known Member

I have Mitchell's wool fat with ceramic bowl on the way, what's the best way to lather it, straight from the puck onto my face, or should I load up from the pick and use a separate bowl and bowl lather it?

PLAla likes this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Experiment, Grasshopper:)

8. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I face lather almost exclusively. However, I have a couple of bowls and use them every now and then. As @Spyder said, experiment and see what works best for you!

Spyder likes this.
  9. cmorris357

I've had better luck with the face lather. I can whip up some beautiful lather in the bowl, but it lacks the slickness I can get from face lathering. Try it both ways a few times and decide which works better for you.

10. Kevinwine85

Ok, thanks, and should I soak the puck?

Erik Redd likes this.
  11. cmorris357

I did, and it worked well, @Primotenore said the lanolin separated from his puck when he did it. Try it unsoaked a few times, and if it's not doing it for you, soak the puck and give it a go.

12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

:signs011:

13. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

If you have the ceramic bowl, you should keep the puck hydrated enough to seal at the bowl ID. If you use it regularly, it will stay hydrated. It will dry out if not used regularly, so if you see a gap between the puck and bowl, just add a little water. On a new puck, I add water to just barely cover and let it soak in a day .

14. Kevinwine85

Ok, also this question might sound stupid, but it seems like I rarely get a shave without bleeding, particularly my chin, we are only allowed a mustache where I work at, any suggestions on what might help would be appreciated.

15. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Is that with your new Parker DE or a straight?

Without watching what you’re doing, I’d say too much pressure rather than letting the blade do the work. If you’re using a straight then I have no idea other than I’d likely bleed even more than you!

Spyder likes this.
  16. Kevinwine85

It's with a straight.

Spyder likes this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

You’ll need to ask this question over in the straight razor section. You’ll get plenty of help over there.

markjnewcomb likes this.