Modern Day Gillette Situation Questions

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by capsfanx, Nov 14, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am just glad that Gillette made some really quality DE razors that have stood the test of time and that I can own and use them today.

EnglishChannel, gorgo2 and Jim99 like this.
  2. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Jim, the fact that we’re using them today attests to the quality to which these razors were built. I’m glad we have them.

Shaver X, EnglishChannel and gorgo2 like this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I think they regret now that the darn things last that long!

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm also glad that Gillette built great razors. They saved my neck, several years ago.

Shaver X, Jim99, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Of course you all realize that the invention of the de was just phase 1 of where Gillette has ended up today :signs002:

6. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

My dad told me when I left for the service, "Once you leave home you can return but it will never be the same". Of course he was right. That's how it is with Gillette for me. I don't want new. When Gillette was started as a company it was a special time. An industry was being created. The razors were made for the masses by the masses. The razors they made then were made with real sweat, were of high quality, and now have stood the test of time. No amount of money today could replicate the quality and human interaction put in the product of many years past. That is what makes it special to me. I like going back (30 minutes each day) to a different time. I agree that it's not good to live in the past. But when it comes to my vintage Gillette razors that dictum does not apply.

exce 10.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  7. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I agree. That's called progress (I guess). I used my dad's Schick injector for a short time to learn how to remove peach fuzz and then the T-II came out with all the fan-fare and I used it most of my shaving life. I recently saw this NOS Trac II set and had to aquire it just because. Matter of fact I value it (for the memories) as much as I do my old Gillettes.

IMG_3933.JPG IMG_3939.JPG

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Heretic!!!! :susel:

Spyder and preidy like this.
  9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Agreed.

Shaver X, Bama Samurai and Spyder like this.
  10. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

If Gillette were to reintroduce some de razors to the US, they would be forced to market them as some sort of "Collector's Edition.". They could then get away with selling them at high retail prices, and not dilute their multi blade marketing scheme.
    They could keep this up for years....release a Khaki set for the 100th anniversary of the WW1 armistice, a Teddy Roosevelt signature President replica, a Tiffani gold Tech, a Swarovsky encrusted gold Aristocrat the next time some British Royals feel romantic. The shameless marketing potential is endless.

11. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Actually a clever idea!

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Shaver X, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  12. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

1.) Maybe. If P&G thinks that they could make money getting into classic gear, they would. They probably wont though because as much as wet shaving has grown, Im sure it still dwarfs in comparison to how many people see shaving as a chore and just want to do 1 pass with a multiblade cart and some canned goo.
    2.) The blades are made by Gillette, they are just used in other parts of the world. In place like Russia and the mideast, DE shaving never went out of style because people never bought into multiblade carts/disposables.

Keithmax, Spyder and Jim99 like this.
  13. Badgerstate

I could see them coming out with a, "classic" line that would compete in bigbox stores with Van Der Hagen.

capsfanx, Spyder and Jim99 like this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That’s actually a good marketing idea. I like it.

Eeyore and Spyder like this.
  15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Personally, I like the idea.

There is another option which I'm a little surprised they haven't taken. Take the version of the Tech that Gillette sells with the 7 o'Clock Sterling blades and Chinese Super Blue blades, bundle it with a 3-pack of the Brazilian-made Platinum Plus blades, and take VdH to the mattresses.

Eeyore, Jim99 and Spyder like this.
  16. Badgerstate

I believe Razor Emporium sells a kit just like that.

17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

They need to get it out of AOS and into Target, Walmart and CVS.

18. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I think DaltonGang has the right perspective here.
    You cannot fault the manufacturers for creating modern shaving systems that meet the needs of the large majority of shavers.
    If manufacturers cannot get enough people to buy their product, they cannot afford to operate their factories and pay their employees.

Most shavers seek a product that gives them what they want- a close shave, with the least investment of time and effort. AND they are willing to pay for it.
    If shaving is NOT your hobby, why would you spend the time, effort and money to learn and use older, less forgiving shave systems.

EXAMPLE: Are we not shave enthusiasts and hobbyists here?
    Yet, how many here have neglected to learn to shave with a straight razor. Why? Because it is not worth the investment of time to learn, the money or time to acquire equipment needed, the effort to succeed, or the risks presented. My two sons laugh when I suggest that they try straight razor shaving.

The newer multi-blade shaving systems are very forgiving, more simple to learn and also very efficient means to get a DFS or even BBS shave.
    The real money, and therefore production, is designed to follow where the masses are heading - not the collectors, artisans, or elite hobbyists.

I try to enjoy ALL the shaving systems while finding ways to save money. Yet, I suspect that the market will eventually make the newer systems cheaper than the older systems as old becomes more rare and less available. If Gillette re-introduces a DE razor, it will be at a premium price.
    Just like the Dodge Challenger, Ford Thunderbird, or Chevy Camaro re-intros.

Yet, if the market research folks see a way to make a profit, it could happen.
    I am just glad that I live in a time when I can take advantage of, and use all of these many generations of shaving products. Lot's of fun!

DaltonGang likes this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Still not seeing Gillette investing in the tooling to make a run of even simple but relatively high quality DEs at a reasonable price, just for what would amount to a relatively poor selling stunt.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  20. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

While I agree with everyone who says that it isn't in P&G's best interests.... I do think they could make it in their interest, and I don't think they would necessary lose face saying DE is better than carts. A fancy marketing campaign to show that a DE blade is better, focus groups, and Brett Farve to pimp it out.... no offense but people are sheep. And advertising can be effective, otherwise we wouldn't see so much of it. I'm not saying it is overnight, but we didn't get to this point overnight either. It could just be one big cycle. DE to six blade cart, and then start over again.

capsfanx likes this.