Mongoose Owners Razor Society (MORS)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Aug 19, 2015.

1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

September 27, 2016
    Mongoose B2 with Triad Ti
    Feather Super Pro (7)
    Simpson CH2 Synthetic
    Reef Point Dragon’s Blood
    Witch Hazel
    Fine Platinum

[​IMG]

2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Friday, SEptember 30, 2016

Rubberset 400 with Envy White
    Nuavia Blu
    Mongoose B-3 with TRIAD Aristocrat Ti
    Feather Pro #5
    Barrister and Mann Reserve Cool

[​IMG]

3. kelbro

kelbro New Member

There's a used SS Mongoose on the way to me. How can I tell which version it is once it arrives?

Thanks!

Douglas Carey and Boojum1 like this.
  4. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

@kelbro This is B1 and B2 (left-right) (not my photo):

[​IMG]

B3 is apparently similar to B2 only with longer pins that go through blade into the bottom part of the head when assembled.

Difference between B1 to B3 (mongoose I) and the current mongoose II is, I believe, similar to the below depiction of the Alumigoose II on the left and the b3 on the right.

[​IMG]

Photo above and more in this post on page 43 of this thread:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  5. kelbro

kelbro New Member

Thanks. Can't wait!

6. kelbro

kelbro New Member

Wow. This razor is a little heavier than I expected. Substantial feeling. Neck shaved only today but planning to use it Monday to knock a 9-day beard down. Should be a good one!

7. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr New Member

What would you say? Mongoose I better than Mongoose II?
    I have the Mongoose II and AlumiGoose II but I got my hands on a batch 2 polished original coming Monday. Am I going to be disappointed or be wowed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Not sure if better is the right word but the Batch 2 Mongoose (original style) is reported to be more aggressive than the current Mongoose. I have the AlumiGoose 1 is more aggressive than my Batch 2 Mongoose by a wide margin.

rlacrossjr and Douglas Carey like this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I just found this thread, and would like to be added to the roster. For a long time I shied away from AC style razors because I didn't like the width of the blade when using a Feather AC. That was a mistake on my part. I am the very happy owner of a Batch 3 SS, and a second batch Alumigoose.

[​IMG]

The first owner of Mongoose has a little cosmetic work done to it. The Dub handle was bead blasted, and the head (all but the top of the cap) was cerakoted in black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This has become one of my all time favorite shavers, and I enjoy the contrasts in the finish.

Like others on this thread (which I spent the morning getting caught up on over coffee), I find that the Alumigoose 2 is an incredibly mild razor, especially with the stock aluminum handle. A Super blade and a longer, heavier handle give this razor exactly what it needs for me. I think this might become my travel razor for work, as it can give a very quick CCS/DFS.

[​IMG]

Finding a version 1 of this razor has been added to my "things to do" list.

Thanks to all of you guys for a good morning read. Being new to Mongoose, it also answered a lot of questions I had.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Jared, the Mongoose looks great with that finish. I know I love my Goose.

11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs011:

clint64 and PickledNorthern like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

Thank you both. The whole single edge shaving thing has made the razor part of wet shaving so much fun. Up until now I always felt like the actual shave was the utility aspect, it was the brushes and soaps I enjoyed the most. Now I am actually really excited to pick out a razor each day, and all but two of my DE's are just gathering dust.

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

The last time I used my Almigoose, I switched to a Super and used a long, heavy brass handle. I got a very good shave with it set up that way. Tonight I switched to the similarly weighted but shorter Dr. Bomber handle and got a good, but not as good shave. This indicates to me that it is a an angle/leverage thing with my technique. I think a short focus would probably have it giving me the quality of shave that I love so much from my SS Goose.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I found that different handles made a difference with both the Mongoose and AlumiGoose. I think changing the balance point impacts the shave and how I perceive the weight off the razor head.

15. rlacrossjr

rlacrossjr New Member

I get my batch 2 V1 tomorrow can't wait to compare. It does look like All the V1 version they put more love in the finished product. Smoother edges and more uniform. I had to fix may SS V2 handle and had the head exchanged directly with mongoose. But I still had some chatter marks on the safety bar. I ended up fixing myself with diamond wheel and media blast and polished.
    Pick of my polished V2 SS and black V2 AlumiGoose
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 1, 2016
    Feather Super Pro (1)
    Rudy Vey RV7 with Shavemac Finest
    PannaCrema Nuavia Rossa
    Witch Hazel

[​IMG]

After using the small nimble Wolfman OC for the entire month of November, the B2 Mongoose was a real wake up call. In comparison the Mongoose felt much heavier and is certainly larger. Midway through the first pass the differences were forgotten. I went with a 2 pass, XTG & ATG, shave followed my touch ups and ended the with a near BBS shave. The RV7 whipped up the Rossa into a rich lather. The soft massage of the brush and the wonderful scent of the Rossa added to the overall experience. Overall a fantastic shave this morning and a great way to kick off December. I hope everyone has a great Thursday.

17. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Outstanding start to December Clint. Have a good day.

PickledNorthern and clint64 like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 2, 2016
    Feather Super Pro (2)
    Rudy Vey RV7 with Shavemac Finest
    PannaCrema Nuavia Rossa
    Witch Hazel

[​IMG]

The shave this morning was a great way to end the week. The Nuavia Rossa was very easy to lather and the wonderful scent made the shave more enjoyable. I went with a 2 pass, XTG & ATG, shave and with a few touch ups ended with a near BBS. I really can't ask for better. I hope everyone has a great Friday.

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Happy Friday Clint. Beautiful brush. :happy096:

PickledNorthern and clint64 like this.