Mongoose Owners Razor Society (MORS)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Aug 19, 2015.

1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug. I do enjoy the brush. The Shavemac Finest is very different from my other badger brushes. It is very soft with more of a massage than scrub. Also it doesn't have nearly the level of backbone. I like to use it when I want something soft and luxurious.

2. Dickie Hirsch

Dickie Hirsch New Member

Hi everyone.
    I'm new to this forum as of today but not to wet shaving. I have the newest Mongoose B2 and am using it just the way it came (SS Head with SS Octogenol handle). I love every aspect of shaving with this razor except for the razor bumps that I've been getting. I'm using Arlington shave cream with Arlington pre-shave and DR Harris pre-shave. The blade is the Kai Original Super Senstitive and my post shave consists of Alum, Witchhazel, Bump Patrol and Nutrogena Sensitive Balm. I've been trying to work on the shave angle (shallower) and to control the pressure (virtually none) but every shave is still a failure. Anything you guys can offer to help me over the hump would be greatly appreciated. I hate the idea of going back to my DE89.
    Thank you.
    Dick in Porter Ranch, CA

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

The following are just suggestions. You might consider reducing the number of passes and avoiding the ATG pass for the time being. My guess is the SE razor is just giving you a much closer shave than the DE razor. The other big thing I discovered is that I get much better shaves with Mongoose when using very slick soaps. For me slickness seemed to be more important than cushion of the lather. I hope some of these suggestions will help. Maybe some others will post up some ideas as well.

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Are there certain spots that consistently bother you, or is it an all over random type thing? Have you examined the direction of your beard growth? My beard grows in so many directions you could get car sick trying to follow it.

clint64 likes this.
  5. Dickie Hirsch

Dickie Hirsch New Member

Thank you for the suggestions.
    What soap or cream did you have in mind that's slick versus cushiony?

clint64 likes this.
  6. Dickie Hirsch

Dickie Hirsch New Member

clint64 likes this.
  7. Dickie Hirsch

Dickie Hirsch New Member

It seems that most of the irritation is on my neck and cheeks.
    I've tried to map my beard growth but like you, it's multi directional. I just go in the standard direction (North to South) and then some minor touch-up. No ATG or XTG.

clint64 likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

Then I would do as Clint suggests and work on super slick lather. I have never used DR Harris soap, but I assume it is pretty good quality. There are a ton of artisan soaps that redefined the term slick for me. Stirling, Barrister and Mann, Soap Commander, Route 66, Mickey Lee Soapworks, all are great. Also, maybe watch this video. A TON of people have said jt helped them with their lather.

Another thing to maybe do, if you havent already, is sample some blades from tryablade.com . I haven't used the ones you mentioned, but it can't hurt to try a few others.

Good luck. The Mongoose is a great shaver. You'll get it.

Douglas Carey and clint64 like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent suggestions Jared. I have found that adding a little more water to pretty much any quality soap as I lather can make the lather slicker. I know I am guilty of being in a rush and failing to continue adding water at the first hint of a decent lather. I have to remind myself to slow down and add a little more water.

You can also take a short break from the Goose and use the DE89 while letting everything heal up. Anytime, I have trouble with a new product be it razor, brush or soap, I take a step back and return to a routine that I know works. Once everything is clicking again, I add in the new product again.

I would also suggest that you join us on the 30 day thread. I found participating in the thread a huge help. Plus I made some great friends. Join us on this thread and the advice will be friendly and free flowing.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/december-2016-30-day-rule-focus-pix-discussion.53649/

10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:signs046: to TSD.
    Clint offers some good suggestions about the type of soap to use. I find with my Mongoose B2 that a very light touch helps me get a comfortable shave.

clint64 likes this.
  11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great point Doug. And I think you might have the real issue in hand. The Mongoose is a big heavy beast of a razor and is very easy to mistakenly use pressure when shaving. Doug is correct. The Goose requires a very light touch.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 3, 2016
    Mongoose B2 with Triad Ti
    Feather Super Pro (3)
    WDC-8 with Druida Manchurian
    PannaCrema Nuavia Rossa
    Witch Hazel

[​IMG]

The WDC-8 handle is solid brass that feels wonderful in your hand. As expected the Rossa was easy to load and lather. Sticking with a 2 pass shave, XTG & ATG, followed by minimal touch ups ended in a near BBS. Overall a great shave and an excellent start to the weekend. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  13. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

That is a beautiful razor handle amigo.

clint64 likes this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you. It's to bad that he seems to have quit making them. Up close the attention to detail and craftsmanship is even more impressive.

15. PickledNorthern

Did he quit making them completely, or just customs? For a while, he was letting them trickle out on the nook. I was trying for quite a while to score one, but gave up.

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Looks like you have a few collectors handles now. :happy088:

clint64 likes this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

He had a waiting list of people waiting on the nook that are still waiting. Who knows.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 5, 2016
    Mongoose B2 with Triad Ti
    Feather Super Pro (5)
    BSB 2 with Vie-Long Two Band
    MdC Original
    Witch Hazel
    Fine Lavender

[​IMG]

Well as usual the weekend was entirely to short and Monday morning arrived to early. In an effort to brighten a rainy day, I elected to use MdC since I just love the lavender scent. The BSB 2 whipped up a rich lather. I've found that by incorporating water slowly, MdC can be made into a slicker lather. Not as slick as some but more than enough to do the job at hand. Since the shaves with the Goose have been so consistently good I just stayed with the same 2 pass routine and touch ups in my trouble spots. I ended up with a near BBS. I finished the shave with a splash of Fine Lavender. I hope everyone has a great Monday.

19. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good setup of fine tools. Have a safe and good day amigo. :happy088:

PickledNorthern, clint64 and Demidog like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug. I could use some good luck today.