more aggressive - aristocrat or red tip gillette?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by soulshine, Apr 7, 2008.

1. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

just curious.

i have read that gents with tough beards often recommend the red tipped gillette. i am using an aristocrat for the first time this week and find it much more aggressive than my merkur. i am thinking my mug could not take anything more aggressive.

s~s

2. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I have not yet used a red tip, but I'm rather interested in trying it. I do currently have an aristocrat in my roatation and I'm using treet black beauty blades. I absolutely love the razor+blade combo. I have a tough beard and it cuts right through it effortlessly.

3. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    Ahh the aristocrat. I found the version with the un notched blade to be so agressive that I couldn't use it. I found the notched bar version to be much less agressive. Which model are you using?

4. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

i am using the un notched version. day one was brutal - day two much better. i may not make it to day 3. i kind of like the "romance" in shaving with an old razor and all but my HD yielded much better results. if the red tip is more aggressive than this, i would be shocked!

s~s

5. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

SOQ:

Standard Operating Question:

Which blade were you using ?

Might want to try another in the razor and check your results.
    My benchmark blade is always the Derby.
    Then I proceed from there.

The Aristocrat I had was OK (dont know if it was notched or not :o) but was ultimately traded for something better ;)

6. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

I am a faithful Derby blade user. Unfortunately I do not think the Aristocrat is for me....just far too aggressive. This morning, some passes were almost painful. I am back to the Merkur HD tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback gents!

s~s

7. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Have pictures of it? No, I'm not trying to buy it. I'm just curious as to the version as so on. :D

8. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

I have two of these here at home. One that is pristine on a shelf for display and another that I just picked up this weekend that is a good shaver model without a case.

s~s

My picture taking skills are less than stellar. I took these from a completed auction:

120437052_o.jpg

120437269_o.jpg

120437443_o.jpg

120437661_o.jpg

9. Padron

Padron Active Member

Very nice, those razor look really great...I am going to have to buy one at some point just to give them a try :cool:

10. sparky5693

sparky5693 Administrator Staff Member

Administrator
    I've never tamed the no-notch version. The notched model was entirely different for me.

11. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

notched?

What does that mean and what does it look like?

12. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

Although not the same razor look at the center blade bar and notice the notch that was added in mid 1948 to assist in loading blades from the new dispensers. Now look at Soulshine's post above and notice that the center blade bar does not have this notch.
    [vbpg]406[/vbpg]

13. soulshine

soulshine Flower Power

I think the notch gives the blade a bit more movement when shaving as well. When the blade is in the un-notched Aristocrat, the blade stays put, no shifting at all.