More aggressive razor than a Merkur 34c?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Yossarian04, Aug 6, 2017.

1. Yossarian04

Yossarian04 Well-Known Member

I'm curious, what is usually considered to be the next more aggressive razor after starting with some like the Merkur 34c?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Get yourself a Parker Variant and choose your aggression.

LevelupShaves likes this.
  3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Or similarly priced Rockwell 6C

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

4. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Razorock Mission is what your are looking for. Great razor !!!

5. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

Plus one on an adjustable if you don't want to spend the money but get a feel for adjustables the Qshave is pretty sweet and only $15-$20

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

6. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0244.JPG
    Super Adjustable 109. 9 forward gears! Crank one up!

Terry Williams and LevelupShaves like this.
  7. Yossarian04

The Parker Variant does look pretty sweet.

LevelupShaves likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Gillette Red Tip!
    Like a marine ... built like a tank and aggressive. :ahem:

9. It all depends just how much more aggressive you want to go. Back when I had my Merkur, I bought a 1940s No Code Gillette Super Speed. That was a nice step up. Still mild if compared to an Open Comb razor, but quite a bit more effective than the Merkur, especially with a Bevel or Feather blade.

However, the Merkur can do a fine job if paired with a good blade. I liked Bevels, Voshkods and the Dorco Primes in mine.

Terry Williams and Enrico like this.
  10. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I love the Gillette Fatboy (with adjustable settings from 1-9), and the Timeless Razors.

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: Early Super Speeds are bit more aggressive than a 34c and easy to find.

12. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

People are so different. Some enjoy a mild shave, while other get a thrill out of using an aggressive razor.

For each year I have been wet shaving with DE, I have slowly gained more and more appreciation for extra mild shavers. They take a bit more skills, as you only get a close shave if you keep the exact right angle.

What I mean, there is no default next step. It is all about what you prefer in your shaves. Some have jumped all the way up to R41 after their first razor, other make a smaller jump by getting something like a Gillette NEW.

Terry Williams likes this.
  13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

If I was giving myself advice 5 years ago I would have said get a vintage Gillette adjustable.

14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0306.JPG '52 Super Speed Black Tip. Mild shaver+Voskhod=Close, smooth shave. If I found this one first rather than my NEW, I may have stopped right here.

BigMark83 likes this.
  15. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There ya go. Learn how to use what ya got and you don't need a more aggressive razor.
    I impressed myself last week with a darn near BBS, zero irritation shave from my Ball End Tech loaded up with an Astra SP.
    And for those who may not know, the Ball End Tech is a very mild razor, often suggested for newbies.

RetLEO-07 and Enrico like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Techs (Fat handle) and Flares are two of my favorites.

17. Yossarian04

I've started getting darn near bbs with my Merkur. It does take a few passes and touch ups though. I'm just curious of how a more aggressive razor would perform.

18. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

+1

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'll put it this way ... I've given my boys a Gillette Slim and a Gillette Fat Boy. They're both happy with them. I have both and my 1958 Fat Boy is my favorite.

20. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

I don't know if a lot of the razors mentioned are really more aggressive than the 34C. The 34 has blade exposure and adjustable razors increase blade Gap which is not really the same thing. If you really want more aggression. Simply remove the safety bar from any three piece razor and shave with just the cap, blade and handle. Some folks add a small washer to help support the blade. This is basically an inline shavette. They are wickedly aggressive and won't cost you a penny because you already have the 34C.