More aggressive than Gillette 1950 SuperSpeed

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by andyr, Jul 4, 2011.

1. andyr

andyr Member

I currently have a Gillette 1950 SuperSpeed and a Parker 99R TTO. The Gillette is a great shaver. I would like to buy a little more aggressive razor one, and still keep the Gillette. The Parker has a large blade gap and a heavy head = very aggressive for me.
    Do you know of another razor which is a little more aggressive than my SuperSpeed? It should be under $50. It can be either TTO or 3 piece, and either new or vintage. Thanks.

2. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Vintage

You could stay vintage and go for a Gillette Red Tip, excellent blade gap. Or in that price range you can find a Slim Adjustable and pick your own gap. Also try some different blades you may find something that will work for you in what you got but just need a more aggresive blade like a Feather.

3. newb

newb Resident Newb

The 1950 ss I believe is about as aggressive as a red tip? I find my 1953 SS about equal to the Red Tip in aggressiveness. The red tip though feels more balanced to me and generally delivers a smoother shave. In your price range if going vintage I'd consider an adjustable. Over time your preferences may change and an adjustable is able to change with you. Of coarse the best advice I can give is to try one of everything. (that's the way I roll:o) If your looking for razors that are more aggressive than a 50's SS. There's the Old Style, New standard, New, slim,fatboy, super adjustable, Merkur slant, most Merkurs, Ej's, Merkur adjustables and anything made by GEM should give you a reasonable starting point.

4. andyr

andyr Member

Sounds like the Red Tip will be a little more aggressive. The Slim (or Super?) adjustable sounds really practical.
    I have a lot of both Shark SuperChrome and Israeli Crystal blades. They both work pretty well in the SuperSpeed. The Crystal is very aggressive in the Parker. I have been scared of the Feathers, but I may try them one day.

5. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Feathers

Don't be afraid of the hype of the Feathers. Are they sharp? Yes! Will they leave you cut up and bleeding? Well any blade will if you don't respect it. Try some man, you can always sell them or trade them if you don't like them. But I would suspect that you will put them in your shave den after you try them. There are other blades sure but don't let the hype fool you.

6. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go with a Red Tip, there's not that much more noticeable difference if you're using the 40's style with a 50's date code, even if its a flair tip.

Yes there is a slight difference, but not enough to be called "Aggressive" imo.

If you haven't picked up an Edwin Jagger closed comb, you're missing out, they're balanced and a forgiving razor, not Parker aggressive and not really mild.

7. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

I vote for picking up a Slim Adjustable. You will be able to set the aggressiveness to your liking and you will be able to pick one up from eBay for under $50.

8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I ALSO VOTE FOR EITHER THE SLIM ADJUSTABLE OR THE SCHICK INJECTOR...The Schick Injectors are often over looked...But I think we saw alot of people last week getting great shaves with them...and they are for the most part quick and agressive shavers...I can get as close a shave in 2 passes with my '53-58 Schick hydro-magic as I can with my Slim @9...But either way...They are both great...Actually now that I think about it I get rivaling shaves from my '52 Black Tip which is a 40's style SS, in 3 passes plus touch up....These 40's style SS's can still makes the magic happen in there own cool way...:cool: and irritation free...
    Some guys said to check out some other blades in your 50's SS...that could be an option as well...It's all fun...Enjoy.

9. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

Gillette NEW. Exactly which type doesn't matter. I've used a red tip and various adjustables and settled down with my NEW.

They're pretty easy to find and if you only want shaver-grade (as in, not mint collector condition) then you can get one under $20. It won't hurt your checkbook to try out a NEW and see if you like it.

10. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of these as well or an Old Type. Both are aggressive shavers and can usually be found reasonably priced in antique stores and on the web. It took a few shaves to get it all figured out, but I believe I get my best shaves out of my Old Type now.

11. andyr

andyr Member

Thanks for the replies so far. I think I can not go wrong with any Gillette closed comb.

12. MRast01

MRast01 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you were considering a New or Old Type, but these are both Open Comb razors.

13. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

also, consider that the open comb razors are not necessarily more aggressive than closed comb. the main difference between the razors, in my opinion, is how the blade glides along your face and how the lather is removed.

I had one open comb for a while (Gillette sheraton) that was quite mild. Possibly milder than many superspeeds.