More on boars (Boar Wars)

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by oscar11, Apr 10, 2018.

1. bayercy

bayercy Well-Known Member

Thank you Sirs.

RyX likes this.
  2. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

2nd hand lather today, first shave tomorrow with the Thater. Still prickly and it could be that way for quite awhile waiting for a full break in or it could just be the nature of the beast. We'll see.

3. oscar11

A day made quite a bit of difference with the feel of this brush. I've been using the 3 day soak on last 4 boars I picked up. At any rate the prickliness of this brush is pretty much gone but can still feel a few stiff bristles. So it went from prickly to slightly scritchy. I do believe this will be a good brush but wouldn't be surprised if it took awhile to break in.
    [​IMG]

4. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

+1 on the 830. It can handle anything you throw at it. One of my favorite brushes.

5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Steve
    You have some great looking brushes there. I was finally able to get the image to open. Also, your post was very informative. Last but not least a great read. "Semper Fi"

6. PatrickA51

After the image opened up for me, I looked at the picture more closely. I really think that brushes #4 and #5 are the best-looking brushes in the photo!
    Thanks for taking the time to post the review and the photo. "Semper Fi"

7. PatrickA51

That's a great looking set up that you have there. Like the color of the Brush Handle and that Straight has an excellent color. "Semper Fi"

Douglas Carey likes this.
  8. oscar11

No pricklyness at all this morning with the Thater. I wouldn't be surprised if some will return because now the real break in will start. I think I'll alternate usage between the ABC and Thater until I'm happy with them. I'll quit posting daily on this thread unless some thing note worthy comes up.
    [​IMG]

Douglas Carey, lloydrm, RyX and 4 others like this.
  9. Jacobite

Jacobite Member

The Antica Barbieria Colla brush is made by Mondial. Here is the ABC brush and a Mondial side by side. The ABC measures 28x60, and the Mondial comes in at 27x58. I have another unused Mondial that comes in at 27x59. In use, they are indistinguishable. I will often just pick one up and use it, and I can only tell which one it was by looking for the ABC sticker on the bottom. Essentially the same brush. One sells for $80, the other can be had for $25. ABC.jpeg ABC2.jpeg ABC3.jpeg

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Unbelievable. Where does one get the Mondial?

11. Jacobite

Jacobite Member

Executive Shaving, Australia offers several Mondial boars on ebay with free shipping (& no duties) to the USA. I have the matte aluminium, the white plastic, & the polished aluminium, which is the one like the ABC brush, as seen in the photo above. The polished one was so good I bought another and put it away in case I live to be 133 and I wear out all my other boars. I have 6-7 vintage boars, a few Semogues, at least 6 Omegas, 6 more Zeniths, and other unbranded boars from Germany, Turkey, & India but the ABC and the Mondials are my faves.

12. Primotenore

Article Team
    I can't find it for less than $38.95. Ideas?

13. oscar11

Sorry for the photo being out of focus.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  14. Jacobite

Jacobite Member

That's $38.95 AUD- Australian dollars, which is about $31 USD. Click on Make an Offer and offer a little less and see if they accept it.

15. Primotenore

Article Team
    Made an offer, cross your fingers! It can only be 1000% better than the Thäter Boar that I hated.

Douglas Carey, RyX, Redrock and 2 others like this.
  16. Primotenore

Article Team
    Declined. Moving on.

17. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

It get's along really well with the modern Williams. It's one of my favorite brushes too.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Boru62, RyX, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  18. oscar11

Seeing how I'm retired now................... I could only handle it for about 2 weeks, now I'm starting to freak. I thought I'd throw one more brush into the mix. This is an Omega 49 knot lofted @ 55mm. I think it fills a niche that's missing. This is with one hand lather on it. I plan on soaking the knot for 3 days in the fridge one hand lather per day then back in the fridge.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  19. PatrickA51

Out of focus :rolleyes005:
    Looks good to me.

20. PatrickA51

That sounds interesting, when are you going to have it for desert?

Douglas Carey and Keithmax like this.