Most Aggressive

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Tattoobob, Oct 6, 2014.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

is there a way I could identify one to purchase,

without calipers
    or a scale

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Penny Test: the 2011 top cap will fit within the diameter of a penny. the 2013 will overhang it on all on both sides. Here is a 2011 top cap….
    [​IMG]

Or see this thread I made a while ago that compares side-by-side: Two Mules

3. david of central florida

thank you
    I'm searching for one, at a reasonable price.
    if you run across one, please let me know

4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The 2011 or the 2013? there are plenty of 2013 (or current) models up for sale for around $40.
    Since the 2011 is discontinued, prices for those that do come up for sale are pretty steep— usually around $100 & up….

5. david of central florida

I've seen a few, but I have limited resources to devote to our hobby.
    a hundy is more than I can give for that particular razor. but I'm patient, If its meant to be, it will be. the Lord provides.

Tattoobob likes this.
  6. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

If you want to experience the aggressiveness of a 2011 R41 without buying one you can pickup a '13 R41 and buy a 3D top cap @ http://www.shapeways.com/model/2352295/c410k-hurricane-mk-i.html?materialId=61. The hurricane is the most aggressive of the 3 offered and I can state after 4 shaves with the hurricane it is just as aggressive if not more so than '11 R41 and I have both Muhle R41's.

7. david of central florida

thanks
    I do like the like the looks of the muhle with the rose gold grip.
    I may get the 13 with the grip I like, then add the aftermarket cap.
    best of both worlds, thanks

ram57 likes this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

While safety razor aggression IMO, at least to a certain extent, is a YMMV kind of thing. Other than the Muhle R41 I haven't tried any of those other razors GD mentioned. I also have never used any of my adjustable's over 6.
    I've never been quite sure how aggression is measured? Is it by the closeness of the shave(end result) or by the discomfort using the razor? If it's discomfort or irritation during and after shaving, then for me as of now I think the 2013 Muhle R41 would be the winner! If it's closeness of the shave with the least amount of effort(passes) with little to no irritation, then I think the Weber DLC head with the BullDog handle would be the winner for me..:) For those who really like a razor that can peel layers from your face, try pairing up a Muhle R41 head with a Maggard MR8 SS handle.:happy088:

ram57 likes this.
  9. VedderLG

VedderLG Well-Known Member

I've never used an R41, but this is pretty cool. Interesting that he is venturing into this area, as I can't imagine that the profit margins will be huge.

ram57 likes this.
  10. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have the Muhle R41 (2013) / Weber Bulldog makes for the perfect razor. If I wanted to shave every other day, I'd use the R41. If I went 3 or more days without shaving, I'd use the R41. As a daily shaver? Not on my face.

ram57 likes this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I remember reading an interview (online) with the CEO of Mühle back a few years ago with the introduction of the revamped R41 (2011 version) and I recall him mentioning the razor is ideal for those men who dont wish to shave everyday, but perhaps every 3-4 days and require a razor potent enough to handle that type of dense growth. I've rarely used the R41s (either version) as my day-to-day razor as my beard growth is fairly light.

RaZorBurn123, BigMark and ram57 like this.
  12. ram57

Right now the 3d print head is beta but he does provide notes on the page as the project develops. He is looking at different metals and down the rode he hopes to come up with a complete razor. Didn't know how well it would hold up but pretty sturdy and he noted so far only one has broken thus far. He does warn everyone not to let the head sit in hot water but other than that treat it like any other razor head.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. ram57

Agree with you on this, not one that I could use as a daily driver. I pair my R41's with either a Weber Bulldog or Tradere handle for the added length and weight.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. cwnidog

cwnidog New Member

I tried my Futur wide open three years or so ago - the scar is just starting to fade. I dialed back to a nice, safe 2.5. I figure that discretion is the better part of valor. But, man - I love that razor.

ram57 likes this.