Most slick soap

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by tuxxdk, May 6, 2016.

1. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Hi folks

Inspired by a discussion the other day on glide it nurtured my curiosity on soaps.

What is common belief to be the best artisan maker out on the market for glide/cushion?

And what is common belief to be the best commercial mainstream maker on the market for glide/cushion?

I know many are happy with Stirling but many are also unhappy. Same goes with Dr.Jon for instance.

On the other hand I haven't heard anything negative on Route66.

So this thread is intended to shine a light on those products that not only many are happy with but that none/few are unhappy with. That rules out the aforementioned Stirling and Dr.Jon for instance. Not that they are bad but just that apparently there are better options out there that doesn't have unhappy users.

Let the suggestions flow :)

SHAVEWIZARD420 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Mikes Natural Soap

Primotenore, Robyflexx and tuxxdk like this.
  3. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Old school glide = Williams SS

Primotenore and tuxxdk like this.
  4. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I used a TSD soap for the first time yesterday and I was very impressed with both the slickness and protection. It also lathered easily.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Totally agree. I try and make sure I have a TSD up to the plate for my Saturday Str8 shaves for that very reason - slickness.

6. tuxxdk

Vintage or new?

He seems to have some very interesting scent options.

Nice to hear!

So for artisan we have Mikes and TSD and for commercial we have Williams.

PLAla and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:signs011:

9. navy mac

navy mac Well-Known Member

My vote is for Stirling however I have yet to try route 66

Fellowship of cold water shavers

10. Robyflexx

Pick one up Mac, you'll be very pleased! :)

tuxxdk, Douglas Carey and navy mac like this.
  11. navy mac

That's the plan right after I get back from the show. BTW I'm heading over to West coast shaving on Sunday to check out the store.

Douglas Carey, ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Robyflexx

I wish you all the best for the show my brother, hit those poses confidently. Hope you enjoy the store, I wish we had one here. :)

Douglas Carey, ob1page and navy mac like this.
  13. navy mac

I will bro. I can't wait to get my last cold shave in before I hit the stage. I don't know what but when I have a great shave I just feel more confident.

Douglas Carey, ob1page and Robyflexx like this.
  14. Robyflexx

I do too! It's the first thing I do at 4 AM and it allows me to start the day feeling like I already accomplished something great. :D

15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

That's a pretty tall order. Every forum I've found has a thread dedicated to the love of Stirling soaps, yet as you mentioned, it's not universally liked. That's probably true of any soap.

My votes for top slickness in soaps would be
    -Stirling
    -Route 66
    -WSP (Formula T gets a slight edge)
    -Mystic Waters
    -The Soap Exchange

As far as creams go, it's hard to get more slickness out of anything than Institut Karite. It leaves my skin feeling just a little oily, but it's slickness is second-to-none.

16. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I also agree, I just got my order from TSD in this morning. Samples of: Brut type, Egyptian Spice, Asian Plum, Commando Cocktail, and Mango Coconut, wonderful soap that has excellent slickness IMO.

17. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

My Artisan slickness favorite: Barrister & Mann. Haven't used any TSD soaps yet. Though I have to say: most Artisan soaps I have tried work for me, differences are subtile/marginal. I also like Route 66, Jeeves of Hudson Street, Stirling and Pannacrema for their performance.

Commercial/mainstream soaps - MWF of course ;)

The best soap I have ever used, both in terms of slickness and skincare, is the vintage "Chicman" from France ... production discontinued more than 30 years ago I think, but I have one last stick ;) Doesn't smell very good though...

18. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

I agree. Route 66 is far and beyond the best shave soap sold today. IMHO

19. White731

White731 Well-Known Member

For me in no order would be:

Van Yulay
    Stirling
    WSP
    Tiki
    TSD Shop
    Shannon's Soaps

I still need to try Route 66...will be ordering soon @Salty Belle!

20. tuxxdk

Some very good contenders to the list - thanks guys!

I know it's a tall order! But none-the-less I've read quite a few negative experiences with Stirling, although many more positive ones. Reason for my tall order is, that I'm trying to separate the sheeps from the wolves (or how it's said in English). Because I bet if you included, let's say Stirling for the ease of conversation, then someone will chime in with Proraso also. As much as I love Proraso and find it has good glide, I know it's not the best, just as many others know.

Although I haven't directly searched for negative response for Route66, it seems like everyone is raving top notch on those, whereas not everyone is raving about Stirling. That tells me (without being an expert, far from it) that Route66 must be better without making Stirling bad. I haven't tried neither of them, so far.

I hope it gave some clarification. I'm not trying to bash Stirling. It was just one of the few I could remember the name of in the start of thread ;)

ob1page likes this.