most unique shave bowl

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by brit, Feb 10, 2017.

1. brit

brit in a box

hello shavers,here is my prized fire king soup bowl my wife gave me to build lathers with. fire king.jpg whats your most unique shave bowls/mugs look like?just for fun....

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I purchased a Suribachi from a local merchant about a year ago. The unglazed rough texture makes great lather, but the pattern of the texture didn't please me.
    [​IMG]
    Made a trade with John @Sparrow where he found several with a symmetric pattern.
    [​IMG]
    Now I'm a happy latherer!
    (with a couple *extra* bowls... )

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

4. Straight razor dandy

5. Straight razor dandy

I'm on the lookout for a cool Suribachi Japanese-style bowl. If you have a lead, pm me

Carbide Mike, dustmite and RyX like this.
  6. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Nice bowls, guys. However, I have moved on to strictly face-lathering; no bowl needed.

9. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

Alot of cool looking lather bowls on here. But I strictly face lather also. I especially like the fish scuttle that @Straight razor dandy has. Pretty unique

10. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

For some reason, I just don't like the looks of scuttles, but I'd be proud to call this one mine!

Enrico and Carbide Mike like this.
  11. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I don't use a lather Bowl. Polar bear skulls are just too difficult to come by these days.

PLANofMAN, Carbide Mike and brit like this.
  12. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Me too, but one of those in my pic is a soap dish, and the other matches, so I keep it around for the VERY occasional bowl lather. The mug was painted by my daughter for father's day, and the other one is just an abalone dish that my wife uses for decoration.

Carbide Mike, Matt0210 and Jayaruh like this.
  13. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

After a trade involving suribachi with Rick @RyX I picked one up for myself.

IMG_9039.JPG

14. Straight razor dandy

I need to get a Suribachi.

Carbide Mike and RyX like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That's the Peach Luster line. You see a lot of that in antique shops and such, that finish has not been as popular for resale or collecting as jadeite or even milkglass. But it makes for a great shave bowl.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    brit and Carbide Mike like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

SOTD 02072017.gif
    Another suribachi from Osaka, Japan via John @Sparrow. This one is unique and vintage, possibly a commissioned piece that was never picked up from the craftsman. Steeper sided than others, it holds lather well and fits my hand just right.

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Who knew a spice grinding dish would make such good lather? Glad you found one John!

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

dustmite likes this.
  18. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

So, logically, if a suribachi is used to grind spices, and you can also grind spices in a coffee grinder, then a coffee grinder will make a terrific lather bowl!

Linuxguile and RyX like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

i guess one would have to like the color.not my favourite color,but my wifes grandmother purchased the in the early 50s so i like the history.fits the hand perfectly.

gorgo2 and RyX like this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup. I believe that's technically the chili bowl but can't recall without looking it up.

brit and RyX like this.