Movie razor identification.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by spot705, Apr 27, 2017.

1. spot705

spot705 Active Member

I just watched the trailer for the Kingsman Golden Circle. I am exited to see the followup to one of the best movies ever! At the end of the trailer it shows Harry alive and well ... and shaving! With what appears to be a double-edge safety style razor.

My question is of course this:
    Can anyone identify this razor?

(Harry shaves at 1:29)

It will probably british manufacture. Muhle, Edwin Jagger, Parker?

Thank you

2. alfredus

alfredus Well-Known Member

Best I could manage - now to the experts
    [​IMG]

Bird Lives likes this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I was distracted by the chick in the bikini...

Bird Lives likes this.
  4. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Can you enlarge that thumbnail? Without that.....I'd just hazard a guess of a gillette slim, or Mark II adjustable as they were called in the UK...And that was the razor James Bond used in Goldfinger....Also it's the only nickle plated DE I know of with a long enough handle to be this razor...That handle in the trailer is very long...If you could enlarge a still, large enough to see if it's an adjustable, then we would know for certain...

5. Bird Lives

Right....wha..what! You say there was somebody shaving?

macaronus likes this.
  6. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

It looks to me like one of those Wizamet knock offs of a Gillette Slim. It seems to have a white cap on the bottom of the handle, and a black plastic adjustor plate. The rest of the razor seems to be nickel plated.

ninjack and Bird Lives like this.
  7. Bird Lives

I was thinking that...but I've watched the shave strokes...that white cap appears to be shave cream that comes off on the last instant of his last stroke in the video coverage...So I'm thinking....Harry wouldn't be caught, even dead, with one of those infomercial Gillette Clones...So I'm still thinking it's possible it's a Slim...If it really is...It will probably get more screen time, like Bonds did in Goldfinger...and if it is, it is probably paid for product placement aswell...Like, Everyone knows the real James Bond (as would Harry)would have been using a Schick :lyrtuy5:

twhite and Jim99 like this.
  8. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Didn't Felix Leiter take Bond to Hoffritz in New York to get a razor? "Much better made than the Gillette equivalent".

Bird Lives likes this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    very-interesting-2 .jpg
    I am leaning towards the Slim.

BigMark83 likes this.
  10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Razor?, there was a razor? Hmm, I'll have to look at that clip again :drool:

11. Bird Lives

Yep...it was actually made by Merkur for Hoffritz...It was the merkur heavy weight gillette old style, two piece copy known as the 11c, and Bond would carry micro-film and stuff in the handle...He would also hold the head against his palm and make a fist with the handle sticking out between his fingers and use it as a weapon when fist fighting..:eek:...Merkur has discontinued the open comb 11C just like 3 or 4 years ago, it wasn't rebranded 'Hoffritz' but it was the same razor....But they sold a ton of them so I would imagine they are still relatively easy to find...
    image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

This is what I found........ https://www.apetogentleman.com/2013/01/28/the-razors-of-james-bond-007/

This is the text I copied from the site........
    The Razors of James Bond 007
    During the latest Bond movie; Skyfall, you may have noticed Daniel Craig using a straight/ cut-throat razor. This sparked a renaissance for traditional shaving methods. Many wet shavers opting to shave with straight/ cut-throat razors and traditional safety-razors. We are big fans of the latest Gillette razors but for those with a yearning for more traditional methods, read on.

The shaving equipment in Skyfall was the inspiration required to look back at historic Ian Fleming novels, to see if James Bond was referenced using razors. It turns out so, details below.

Goldfinger: a Gillette slim handle razor. In the handle of the razor their is a hidden tracking device. (Thanks for Midwestblade for the tip – see comments below).

On Her Majesty’s Secret Service: a heavy-toothed Gillette, which he uses as a knuckle-duster.

The Man with the Golden Gun: a Hoffritz (of New York) safety-razor modelled on the heavy-toothed Gillette type.

Octopussy and The Living Daylights: again, a Hoffritz (of New York) safety-razor modelled on the heavy-toothed Gillette type.

Skyfall: a straight/ cut-throat DOVO Solingen razor with a #41 Stainless Steel blade*.

James Bond’s penchant for a Hoffritz safety-razor is an interesting story in itself. It transpires that Bond used a Hoffritz brand razor which is now discontinued but was produced by DOVO Solingen who rebranded (to Hoffritz) their identical Merkur 11C Open Comb safety-razor, which has also now been discontinued. The closest match available today is the equally impressive Muhle R41 Double Edged Safety Razor. Alternatively, the Merkur 34C is almost identical but with a closed comb.

*We spoke to DOVO Solingen who confirmed they sent a 3580 straight razor to the Skyfall production team but from watching the movie they are certain it wasn’t the 3580 James Bond used. However, they believe it is one of their straight razors with a #41 blade. Interestingly, they suggested the 3580 was probably too sharp, and since they only had one Daniel Craig, they didn’t want to risk using it!

plane_razor2.jpg

13. Bird Lives

Great article, my friend...Bravo!...The only piece of info I hold a slightly different opinion with, is the Mulhe r41...It is drastically different. It's a classic 3 piece and Bond's Hoffritz was the classic two piece...With that Heavy thick hollow handle for hiding stuff...But they did say the r41 was the closest you could get...But I personally think, finding the real thing, The Merkur 11c, is still the best way to go...and start hiding all your spy stuff in that handle...lol!

But other than that....This was a very entertaining and thorough dissertation on Bond's razors..My compliments to the chef...Thanks for sharing..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

Thank you.

15. jimjo1031

I also disagree on the Muhle 41 reference, it's a different style head. The 11c is based on the Gillette Old Style, and other than the 25c, the Maggard OC head would probably be the closest. Just my opinion.

16. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

Of course, you could always get the real thing.......
    2017HoffritzOC1.jpg

Attached Files:

jimjo1031, RetLEO-07 and Jayaruh like this.
  17. Crvgrl

Crvgrl New Member

The Art of Shaving has partnered with Twentieth Century Fox and Kingsman to create a shave line. It includes, already in most stores, Bourbon Amber Preshave oil, Shave cream, & Aftershave Balm as well as a safety razor and brush set due to arrive in stores early September. Rumor has it, this razor will be the one used in the movie. My guess is it will be manufactured by Gillette or possibly Mühle.
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031 and TheFiveO like this.
  18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Are the new Gillette Techs coming out too?

*ducks*

BigMark83 likes this.
  19. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

And since it is being made by AOS, it should retail for about the same cost as it is to rebuild the Kingsman's Headquarters

mrchick, jimjo1031 and RetLEO-07 like this.
  20. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:D :happy097:

BigMark83 and jimjo1031 like this.