Moving up

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Chaddy187, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

How long should a beginner wait before going to a more aggressive razor? What's a more aggressive razor than merkur 34c hd? Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

SHAVEWIZARD420 likes this.
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Here are some more aggressive razors (but not an all inclusive list).

Red Tip Gillette
    Gillette Adjustables (settings higher than 3)
    Russian Konsul
    Merkur Progress
    Nellite 400
    Barbasol
    FaTip
    Mühle R41 2013
    Mühle R41 2011

In my opinion you need to try a regimen like the strict 30 day rule as written before making a move of that nature. Using the focus method comes when you have more experience.

THE 30 DAY RULE is as follows: Find a razor, then a blade that will not cause issues with your skin. That may take a few different blades in a sampler pack to find a suitable choice or it maybe the first out of the gate. Select a soap or cream that is easy to generate good lather. Once you find that combination, and it may take a couple of weeks to find it, order a quantity of that blade enough for 30 days. Spend 30 days using nothing else until you build up your technique. (Note that only one brand blade is used for 30 days after each blade in the sampler pack is tested to make the decision on the blade brand to use for 30 days.) The 30 day clock starts when you have the right blade for you.

After 30 days, change one and only one variable and work for another week then change another after another week. At that point you should be able to make better decisions because your technique is now in place.

This will help you to avoid buying too much gear and stuff too soon without having the technique available to enjoy all the gear.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/30-day-rule-meet-the-30-day-focus-greater-flexibility.42673/

I hope this helps.

3. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

Thanks for your advice

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Question asked and answered. Continue on...

PatrickA51 and GDCarrington like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I've been wet shaving for 3 years, I started off with an Edwin Jagger DE89. I now have the Muhle R41 (2013) Slants, the ultra aggressive iKon Shavecraft Tech and many many more razors. What razor do you think I reach for more often than not? You guess it. The Edwin Jagger DE89. Work on technique. Enjoy your shave.

Jayaruh, Dzia Dzia, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I have to agree with @RaZorBurn123. Technique is key to a close and IMO most importantly an irritation free shave. I've used R41's and Slants without getting any closer of a shave than I get with an EJ89, Weber DLC, Gillette "NEW" or ER 1924 SE. What I did get with the R41 and Slant was irritation and razor burn.:)

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You will still need to do multiple passes regardless of the aggressiveness of the razor. If you want an "aggressive" razor so you can get a "one and done" shave, DE razors might not be the best choice for you.

I got a wonderful two pass shave from a Gillette blue tip this morning. First time using that particular razor. Despite claims that the blue tip is mild to the point of unusability, I got a great shave. As stated above, technique (and angle) plays a bigger role than people realize.

NapalmCola, Dzia Dzia, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have about 50 razors, but I do not have the blue tip. It is on my short list of razors to get. After NBJ...

Dzia Dzia likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    It was part of a lot of four razors I bought on eBay. I promised my cousin he could have one (expecting to foist off the blue tip on him). This was supposed to be a cursory "yeah, I've tried one" shave.

Now he's going to end up with a '58 cased TV super speed instead. :( (I planned to sell it because I already have one) Phooey. He's not ready for a red tip, and the other cased 50's super speed fills a hole in my collection.

Jayaruh likes this.
  10. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

What he said :signs011: :happy096:

Jayaruh likes this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Excellent advice.

Jayaruh and GDCarrington like this.
  12. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Depends on your rationale for wanting to use a more aggressive razor. IMO...if the razor you are currently using (I am assuming it is a milder razor) is giving you a close shave...then there should be no need to go to a more aggressive razor.

Jayaruh likes this.
  13. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

some people get great shaves from a more mild razor. any razor can be aggressive if you want it to be, but IMO I would be more concerned with the style/type of razor, how it performs, and how it looks and feels more so than the aggressiveness.

NapalmCola and Jayaruh like this.
  14. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

On our trip to NY I brought an EJ 89L & a Red Tip. Been getting equally pleasant 2 pass BBS from both. Learn your face. Take your time to learn your technique. Don't rush your shave. Don't try to get everything in one pass, like @Jayaruh has told many who come to TSD, think reduction. In a short time you will appreciate the comfort of a DFS.

Jim99 and Jayaruh like this.
  15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I'll disagree with this point. I'm a head shaver, and it takes me 3 or 4 passes plus touchup to get a CCS/DFS shave with my DE89 or my NEW unshimmed. It takes me exactly 2 with no touch up to get there with my 3 more efficient/aggressive razors. Not everyone can get a good shave with a mild razor and good technique.

As far as the original question, I would suggest the 30 day rule as a minimum, maybe even 60 before stepping things up. My rationale is that it takes longer to learn how to get good, consistent lather. You need that before moving up to a more aggressive razor. You don't need to buy a new razor to experiment with aggressiveness though. Shimming your 34c will you give you a very good idea of whether or not you'll like it.

16. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

What is CCS/DFS. Sorry if this is a stupid ?

17. Chaddy187

Chaddy187 Active Member

How you shim it?

18. Rufus T.

Rufus T. Late for dinner

GDCarrington and gwsmallwood like this.
  19. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Web search "safety razor shim" and you should get a few youtube videos that show exactly what shimming is. Basically you cut the edges off of some used blades and put them under the shaving blade. Increases blade exlosure.

Close Comfortable Shave and Darn Fine Shave. The link @Rufus T gave is a good resource.

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The quality of shave can be affected by much more than the aggressiveness of the razor. For instance, which blade did you use in which razor? Sometimes a poor match there can create problems. How is the lather? Which soap/creme is it and how does that work with your face? Angle, proper technique, all of these things conspire to create a good or bad shave. The best advice is as some have already said, to do a rule and get technique down. The rest is just figuring out the pieces of the puzzle that work best for you.

GDCarrington and Dzia Dzia like this.