Muhle Black Fibre Shaving Brush ?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Doryferon, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Doryferon

Doryferon Well-Known Member

As a fan of Synthetics (more than Boars) i saw that brush:

[​IMG]

Synthetic fibre shaving brush with a white resin & Nickel handle.
    Handle: 50 x 35 x 35 mm
    Knot (at base): 21 mm
    Loft: 54 mm

Has anyone experience with that brush?
    The 21mm are adequate? I have tested some Synthetics but in the base were bigger
    The Black in the bristles is just a paint or a different type?

Adonis likes this.
  2. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Muhle employs 2 different types of synthetic fiber - it isn't "paint". Most synthetics are bigger than 21mm in order to compensate for decreased capacity - this is not true of the Muhle. This is a very highly regarded brush. Google some reviews and see what respected guys like Mr. Carrington have to say about it, and also the synthetic silvertip Muhle fiber. The silvertip is generally regarded as the full equivalent of a high-end silvertip badger, and actually superior in some respects.

PLANofMAN and JRod22 like this.
  3. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

I haven't tried this series personally; however if its even half as good as the Silvertip Fibre, you're going to love it. There was a mention that for knot sizes you add 2mm to whatever your badger/boar preference was to get the synthetic equivalent. I enjoyed the 23mm STF immensely, and I tend to enjoy a smaller knotted brush.

4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't comment on the black but the Silver Tip fiber makes an excellent brush, IMO.

5. Doryferon

6. Doryferon

[​IMG]

I bought the Horn
    Test and impressions in a few days.

7. Doryferon

My Muhle just arrived !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First washing with White vinegar and then some swirling with a soap for a "break-in" lets say

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dry and ready for the test
    I will use it in face lathering soon.

JRod22 likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

The black fibre uses Third Generation nylon fibers but with a twist. Some of the fibers are crimped and curled to provide greater action and behave more like black badger in terms of spring and backbone, but softer like a best badger in terms of tip action.

The current Muhle flagship synthetic is the Fourth Generation Muhle Enhanced STF (Version 2) and then the next level is the one it replaced which was the Original Silvertip Fibre which is a Third Generation model. Then this Black fibre model comes in after that. They are good reliable brushes.

Enjoy!

youngunn, Doryferon and JRod22 like this.
  9. Doryferon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After the first face lathering test
    You can see even if the photo is no good the different kind of bristles and their shape
    That Synthetic is not like my others,my Frank and Body Shop were softer than this and my Lijun and TGN were toughest and more "spiny" than this (my Vulfix don't count)
    Has a different feeling from all of them,sometimes you think that will "break" and make a gap in the centre but don't
    For face lathering i say it's very good and beats some of my Badgers although a 24mm base will be better
    Unique colour,good balance,very nice handle shape
    This brush gives to Synthetics a boost !

10. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Thanks for the review, I've been eye balling this brush and my new BAD demands I acquire one at some point lol

Doryferon likes this.
  11. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I'm really liking my Muhle Modern Black Fiber Brush 21 H 33. In reality the handle is darker than that picture. And is very lightweight with this handle.

[​IMG]

The knot is slightly smaller than my Semogue 830 (which is on its way to its new owner) and holds a huge amount of lather. With the Semo I had to go back to the puck after each pass (sometimes 2). I resorted to bowl lathering so I could double the amount I was getting face lathering. My best guess is that since natural bristle is porous the soap was being absorbed because the brush would just eat pucks and have not much to show for it. Also the way it was building lather was not really satisfactory- the lather liked to be pushed to the outside and not held within the knot. It developed some hairs which I found very unsightly and that when loading, would stick out at a 90 degree from the handle and never even meet the puck.

The Muhle on the other hand can hold lather for 4+ passes with just one loading. The lather is held very well within the knot. The fibers are really soft- MUCH softer than the Semo which I had broken in for 2.5 months of non stop usage plus extra hand latherings. Softer than the Tweezerman pure badger I had but not quite as much as the HIS synthetic (that one felt unnaturally soft). The hairs are not wild. Consistent and return to their place. The backbone is about middle of the road so it is versatile for bowl and face lathering. I like how hygenic the Muhle feels as compared to natural brushes and the small size is perfect for me. The value is excellent. For the same price I bought the terrible Parker synthetic I got this Muhle (13.75GBP=23USD). I don't feel compelled to buy any other brush. Furthermore although there are cheaper options especially when you look at the various handle options you can get on the Black Fiber line, the brush will more than pay for itself in the amount of product you save. It is just extremely efficient. It is the only brush one needs- wants, however, I will let you decide.

GDCarrington and Adonis like this.