Muhle R41 2013 Version?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Bill Halasyn, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Bill Halasyn

Bill Halasyn New Member

How can you tell the difference between the Muhle R41 2011 and 2013 version? My box just says "MUHLE R41"

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here ya go: Two Mühles-2011 & 2013
    Measure the size of the cap and base will give you the answer.
    Some dimensions (approximate)
    Cap Width 2011: 18.8 mm
    Cap Width 2013: 20.2 mm
    Baseplate Width 2011: 25 mm
    Baseplate Width 2013: 25.20 mm

If you bought the razor new or from a Muhle vendor, odds are it is the 2013 version.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. Bill Halasyn

Bill Halasyn New Member

Thank you for your help. I looks like it is a 2013 version. Do you notice much difference in the shave between your two Muhle R41 razors? Do you like the Grande handle better then the original?

4. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

As an R41 (2013) owner, I love this razor! I did switch out the handle for a Weber Bulldog. The R41 is aggressive, if used proper you'll have really great shaves. Enjoy!

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The two razors shave in very similar fashion, as one would expect. The 2011 version is a bit more aggressive—it shaves as close as you dare—but more likely to bite you if you are not attentive. Both razors provide great results—the 2013 version is somewhat more gentle, less likely to leave one raw. Most who have used both seem to prefer the 2013 after experiencing harsh shaves with the 2011. For me, I use both, but do prefer the 'living on the edge' feel of the 2011—and I must point out, I do not go ATG with this razor. Most days, two passes get me über-smooth.

Regarding the handles, I prefer a larger handle so the Grande is my preference. As Raz pointed out, a nice knurled Weber Bulldog handle is a very good alternative. Some R41 users have complained on the 'lightness' of the Mühle handles, but I think they are well-balanced.