Muhle R41 - First Impression

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dapper636, Mar 27, 2017.

1. dapper636

dapper636 Active Member

Finally got my hands on an R41 today for a test drive. Everyone knows the R41 is legendary for it's aggressiveness, it did not disappoint. I usually shave with an OC razor and tend to favor more aggressive razors in general so I felt comfortable trying the R41. I used my regular soap (BTRC No. 13) and a brand new Polsilver SI blade. I hadn't shaved since Friday morning so I had a good 3-day beard to test with. Let me just say again, the razor did not disappoint. I made 2 passes (NS/SN) and it didn't take long for me to get use to the R41's geometry, however, it is a razor you must respect or you could pay the price. I managed not to nick or cut myself which actually surprised me a little after all I have read. Overall, the shave was VVG. There is one negative but it was easily overcome. About 1/2 way through my first pass, I had to swap the handle out for a BTRC 30S because I nearly dropped the razor twice. The stock chrome-plated handle is very smooth with shallow, fine knurling. With just a little lather it became difficult to hold on to. By comparison, the 30S is solid stainless steel and has a deep knurl that will prevent slipping even if caked with loads of slick lather. Changing the handle made all the difference in the world.
    R41.jpg Satin_Short_Vert.jpg

2hot 2trot, Keithmax, MR41 and 5 others like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is one razor I have not tried yet. I am glad you liked it. Nice write-up.

dapper636 likes this.
  3. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

The R41 is one of my favorite. I never cut myself, but always use caution. A great shaver. I agree about the handle. I usually use a bit of alum on the handle to reduce the slickness and improve the grip.
    Steve

2hot 2trot, Matt0210 and dapper636 like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Wtg, I agree bout the handle. But mine is sooo pretty with the rose gold handle, I suffer through it. 20170319_143632_resized.jpg

5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Bought mine when they first hit the market. After using it for the first time, I replaced the handle with a custom magnet handle by Cooncat Bob (RIP).

IMG_20170327_234224.jpg
    IMG_20170327_234324.jpg

2hot 2trot, Tdmsu, MR41 and 6 others like this.
  6. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

It's super cool

dapper636 likes this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Dumped the dangerous stock handle years ago in favor of a Weber Bulldog. Great razor.

AGHisBBS and dapper636 like this.
  8. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Bumped up the aggression on mine with a DE89 style cap and changed to a Scotch & Stowe (similar to Maggard) handle. I'm loving it now!

dapper636 and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. mikeal01

mikeal01 New Member

Love the R41. I have the older version, and put it on a ikon bulldog handle. Been my daily driver for years, now that my hands shake too much for a straight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

10. DRIVER_B

DRIVER_B Member

Welcome to the club! I use an R41 every day with a webber Bulldog handle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

dapper636 likes this.
  11. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Ive got one. Its an awesome razor if you like them aggressive.

Matt0210 and dapper636 like this.
  12. mathiashellsing

mathiashellsing Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

R41 + iKon bulldog = match made in heaven ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2hot 2trot, lradke and Primotenore like this.
  13. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

That's how I shave with mine! ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

dapper636 and Fluffyskiador like this.
  14. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

I've got one too, it's my daily razor. Does the job quickly and easily. Glad you liked it. I replaced my stock handle with a handle that was gifted to me by @PickledNorthern. It's an awesome razor.

dapper636 likes this.
  15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Whoa Batman-how does the EJ cap bump up the aggression? I might like to try that.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  16. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I'll just cut to the chase and co-sign all of the positive comments about thr r41!

dapper636 likes this.
  17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

R41 was and probably still IS my favorite DE razor. Either the killer 2011 version or the later model...both quite aggressive compared to most other DEs.

My review from 2014: Comparing the R41s

dapper636 and mathiashellsing like this.
  18. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

The EJ cap is just a bit narrower than the stock R41 cap, giving a bit more blade exposure. I was told (in some thread on here) that doing this kind of duplicates the out of production earlier model of the R11 (2011? 2013? I forget.) I like the results.

mathiashellsing and MR41 like this.
  19. Otto

Otto Member

That is a very nice looking handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IAmTheJody likes this.
  20. Otto

Otto Member

I really wanted to love this razor. The head style is impressive and the stock handle is beautiful. As others said, the handle is dangerously slippery.

Unfortunately I parted with mine to another member on a shave forum, so it went to a good home. The razor was finicky with the right angle and a bit rough on my face, but surprisingly never cut myself and hardly any weepers.

It is indeed an efficient machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk