Multi Blade Razor question

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Scottsm4, Apr 1, 2016.

1. Scottsm4

Scottsm4 New Member

Are there any Multi Blade Razors out there that are better performing then Gillette, Mach 3, Shick, etc? Perhaps one that hasn't quite broken into the mainstream market yet due to the brand dominance of these companies? As someone who has fast growing dark facial hair, I am tired of going from local store to store, wasting money on underperforming razors and wasting money on blades. If anyone could let me know of some hidden gems that are less expensive as well please let me know as I would much appreciate it

Norcalnewb likes this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

First of all, welcome to TSD!

If you are really looking for an improvement over the multi-bladed razors, I would suggest looking at an old fashioned single blade razor. In particular, you might find a nice Double Edge safety razor, either vintage or new. I found I reached a new level of shaving comfort when I made the switch.

For the record, I used just about ever version of Gillette cartridge razor, and a few Schicks as well. I then swapped to Dollar Shave Club, but none of these was ever comfortable. Almost a year and half ago, I ordered a DE , brush, and some soap. I haven't regretted it one bit. I now look forward to shaving. I used to shave a little as possible, now I drive my wife crazy finding excuses to shave.

Swapping will likely take some time to adjust and develop technique, but I would recommend it to all of my friends. In fact, I have converted my father and a few friends.

Good luck in your search. You will find lots of friendly people here willing to help out, just keep hanging out and asking questions. You might check out the 30 Day Rule thread for some good tips.

Jim99, ob1page, Tallships and 2 others like this.
  3. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den. In the past 50 odd years I've tried just about all cartridge razors including of late, Harry's and Dollar Shave, with always going back to my DE or SE razors that give me a burn free none razor bump enjoyable shave. As far as I could find for me, their is not a better shaving razor than DE or SE razors. I'll admit, many men prefer a Cartridge razor for it's convenience and so called ease, but cart's don't give me the BBS' that DE, SE's do.

4. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I have good luck with Supermax and some Personna. Others don't.

ob1page likes this.
  5. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

The best of the multi-blades is the Feather MR3 Neo Razor IMO.

[​IMG]

clint64 likes this.
  6. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

+1. You can also get two-blade carts for the same handle (the previous version) -- some prefer those.

7. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Welcome! Is there a reason you want to stick with multi blade cartridges? I switched to SE and DE as well and will never go back. I get better shaves than with the carts. Good luck.

barbersurgeon and ob1page like this.
  8. Terry Thomas

Terry Thomas New Member

I'd say that the King of Shaves Hyperglyde and Azure line are very under rated.

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

A very nice razor indeed. It replaced my Injector razor in the travel bag.

10. Joe B.

Joe B. New Member

Let's go waaay back - to 1970, before they introduced the first double blade razor. I was asked to be in a test group for a new razor, a double edge, but not what you think. This razor had the blades facing each other like this / \ rather than the now standard //. The object was to shave with and against the grain, back and forth, without lifting the razor, and it worked quite well. Then they wanted the kit back, and being a dumb 20 year old, I did. I wonder what that set would be worth today?

PLANofMAN, NCoxSTL and barbersurgeon like this.
  11. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

The only major manufacturers are:

Gillette
    Edgewell - Schick/Wilkinson Sword/Personna
    Dorco
    Bic
    Feintechnik/Croma/Harry's
    Feather
    Kai/Noexma/King of Shaves

12. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Pick up a DE starter, vintage or new, and give it a try. Then you can compare with the cart.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den! :)

Gilette and Shick are the only brand names I know for cartridge razors. If you're wanting to stick with the cartridge razors, use the Sensor Excel 2 blader, cartridges are not very expensive. 2 blades, no more.

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome! I would love to find that test razor but I suspect they are long gone. Would have been quite interesting and I'm sure something of value today. Like the rest here I highly advocate safety razors, either DE or single edge like the Schick Injectors. I gave up on carts after trying everything I could find including Dollar Shave Club (Dorco). The main brands are too expensive and don't work well and the cheap ones are just that....cheap and ineffective.

15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    One of the members here has one of those. There's a thread about it here somewhere.

Found it! The Gillette Contra.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...own-unseen-gillette-injector-prototype.28832/

Any further details about the shave? Please post here and in that thread. We are all dying to know!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The sense I get from most folks here is that, if you are going to use a cartridge razor, 2 blades are better than more blades. But, like many here, my husband & I made the switch to double-edge razors a few years ago, and never looked back. They require a bit of learning, but once learned, give a smoother, less irritating shave. Plus, the blades are way the heck cheaper.

BigMike, Robyflexx and Jim99 like this.