Multible blades and razors

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by fiatster, Jan 4, 2017.

1. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

How do you guys handle this situation. If you switch between different razors, how do you keep track of the amounts of shaves in each blade, or do you use 1 blade and switch it between razors or another way? Thanks

2. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Before I started on my 30 day thingie, I *would* lose track sometimes. Getting rid of some razors helped, but concentrating on the "One Blade, One Razor" method helped more than anything.

3. Edwin Jagger Loyalist

Edwin Jagger Loyalist Active Member

I used to have a dry erase board, but now if I get a bad shave from the blade, I change it out.

RyX likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I only use two different DE razors so keeping track is pretty easy for me. I stopped worrying about number of shaves per blade and concern myself with the shave quality of any given blade. I'll use a blade until it starts giving me a bad shave, then I change it out. Doesn't matter if it's one shave or twenty. :)

dscaver likes this.
  5. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

Thanks for the responses guys. If you use 3 or 4 or more razors switching often do you just keep the blades in the razors?

6. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

When switching around razors I just leave the blade. This, to me, is much easier, and if I loose track blades are so inexpensive.

Demidog likes this.
  7. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I like to use a razor/blade combo until the blade is done or 4 shaves, whichever comes sooner. Then I choose a the next razor I will use and put a new blade in it, and start the cycle all over

PanChango and Demidog like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It's really a bitch using multiple injector razors can since there's no way to mark the blade and no wrapper. I use them until I get a bad pass.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  9. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

Great suggestions. Guess I'll go the simple route and leave the blades in each razor and chuck when dull. I'm asking all these seemingly simple questions because I'm just getting back to wet shaving after many years and even though many things are the same, many things have also changed. I used to always wet shave back in the day before I think they even called "wet shaving". It was just shaving. Then I decided to try the latest and greatest invention to shaving, the throw-aways. After that, I had to use an electric razor due to neck surgery. Now I'm back to a real razor. Also, I think I caught the bug and really love trying different things. Now....The last and most important question, how the hell do you sneak all the random deliveries past the wife. Mike

Dzia Dzia, Linuxguile and AGHisBBS like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Have them delivered to the office at work! :happy097:

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Yes and then put them away for several weeks. When she asks "Is that new" you can honestly say you've had it a while. I swear that is what she does with her new shoes. :D

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

First, I never try to put one over on my wife. We've been married 35 years in April; there's a reason - we communicate.

B - why put up with dull shave? That is deciding, "this blade is done" halfway through a shave? Determine how many shaves a blade will give you, then go one less.

How I do it:
    Fresh DE, hand stropped, into razor on Monday. After shave, remove blade, hand strop, into next razor in rotation. Repeat every day, toss after Friday's shave. I know I can go 6 or 7 shaves (all are 3-pass shaves), but by tossing after 5, I never suffer with a dull blade.

Fresh SE, hand stropped, into razor first Sunday of every month, repeat as with the DEs, toss after the last Sunday's shave = 4 or 5 tug free shaves.

Saturdays are for my str8 shaves.

178-bplatoon, Spyder and Linuxguile like this.
  13. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

So Steve, could you tell me what is involved with hand stropping a DE blade? Never heard of that before.

Linuxguile likes this.
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I don't like moving blades between razors. I pop one in a razor and use it until the blade is done or I am bored with it. The blade gets binned and I get a new blade. If I decide to switch razors, this is when I do it. I find that I get a more consistently good shave when I just stick with the same razor for extended periods.

Linuxguile likes this.
  16. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I use dice.

DE razors currently being used (sometimes 3, 4, or 5 at a stretch) stay out on a shelf till I'm tired of using them, then they get cleaned and put back in their drawer and different ones come out. I don't keep blades in DE razors so I've usually got 4 or 5 of them on the shelf as well and each one has a die next to it indicating how many shaves on that particular blade. No set rotation, just whatever razor/blade combination suits my fancy when I walk in the bathroom.

SE razors sometimes stay out on the shelf for awhile with a die next to them but several of my injectors are clean and in their drawers along with a die indicating how many shaves are on the blade. I've got so many SE's that sometimes I'll skip the die altogether and just shave with them till the blade starts to feel inferior. Mostly because I've got more razors than dice and I've also been known to tip a die over or drop it on the floor and forget what count it was on.

Previously I'd used little slips of paper but after noticing other members using dice I bought myself a dozen.

PickledNorthern, RyX and Dzia Dzia like this.
  17. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

I usually get about four shaves out of a DE blade. Dice work good for keeping track. Just keep it next to your razor and turn the die with each shave for that blade.

RyX likes this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

I used dice until I had too many DE's to make it useful. Now I don't worry about it. Might have a dozen DE's, a couple injectors, and shavettes within reach. If a blade feels dull - out and in with a fresh one.

Some folks push the limits and get more than 6 shaves from a DE blade. Check your local Comic Book Store for dice with 4, 8,10,12,20, or more sides.
    dice.png

19. Linuxguile

I have a few sets of those somewhere in a box in my basement. Remnants of a misspent youth.

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Table top gaming before computers got all ubiquitous? I got in less trouble hanging out in a buddies garage than the other things I could have been doing. Still have a couple hard covers by author Gary Gygax somewhere.

Bama Samurai and Linuxguile like this.