Multible blades and razors

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by fiatster, Jan 4, 2017.

1. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

2. fiatster

fiatster Active Member

Dice...Clever idea.

3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thanks! :happy088::happy088:

Three schools of thought on hand stropping:
    A - It doesn't do a thing. Don't bother.
    2 - Even if it does work, blades are so cheap, why bother?
    Third - It works. It smooths the blade for a couple more comfortable shaves.

I'm in camp Third. I believe it works; if stropping is good enough for str8s (even the stainless ones!), it's good enough for my DE and SE blades. Besides, figure can't hurt, might help.

Troy M, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Yep, I have a few of Gygax's tombs still too. A couple first editions, those must be collectors items by now.

RyX likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    DEcember was DE Gillette month for me. I used a different razor each day, but I used the same razor blade. I made it through the whole month with the same razor blade. Then when the new year arrived my first shave was with my new Acevivi dual-comb razor. I continued to use the same razor blade. I now have 32 shaves on that blade. Normally, I just use the blade 7 days and change it unless there is an issue with the blade. I have had one blade that only made one shave. Back during Obama's Government shutdown, I used a Shark for the duration of the shutdown, 19 days. That is the most I have used one blade until this current run with a Personna Super. I have decided I want to see how many shaves I can get out of it. I am palm stropping the blade after each shave. We shall see.

Troy M and Linuxguile like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Spent a lot of hours in the hobby shop, huh?

[​IMG]

Linuxguile and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Bunch of freaks! :happy097:

Linuxguile and PickledNorthern like this.
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I use a blade until it starts to drag. But then, I only use two DE razors, so that's easy.

9. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I tend to
    Use de blades til I loose confidence in them.(3-4, sometimes 5)
    If i use an se, I'll line up se razors til that blade is used up. I haven't found se blades to be as long lasting as others seem to. I dry se blades after use, put it in a tupperware box for storage.
    I mostly have a few straight razors in mind to use. I keep the on deck straights in a spot on my chest of drawers.
    Ive got so few injectors to worry much about.

10. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I use the same blade and razor until the blade either tugs or stops cutting well - between 4 and 10 shaves generally. I've stopped rotating razors at a whim and try to stick with the same razor for at least 1 week.

brit likes this.
  11. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

I go 3 and out. I load a blade into one of my razor and shave 3 times. After that I switch to a different combo.

12. Taipan

Taipan Well-Known Member

I've recently completed a trial of nine different razors and seven different blades. I made an Access database to keep tabs on everything. I use the database to record details and photo's of all my razors, blades and accessories.

13. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

when new shaving stuff arrives or I bring home a razor and she complains, I just ask if she would prefer i became interested in vintage cars instead of razors. end of conversation

brit and fiatster like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

so far i have been using a blade 2-3 times and the it gets uncomfortable or draggy,but i use a different razor every time.although a dull feeling blade in one may feel sharper in another,will have to experiment more; one razor one blade till it dies.

15. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Okay, I have to shave every day for work. Shave Sunday(two day growth) to Friday. Fresh blade goes in Sunday, out on Friday. Four razor rotation: EJ DE89-Shark, SA-109-Voskhod, NEW SC-GSB, Parker99r-TBD, Focus starting Sunday. No muss, no fuss.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    After cleaning my razors one day, I ended up with a pile of about fifteen blades, most of which I had no idea how many shaves I had used them for. Since that time, I keep no more than two DE blades in use at any given time, and swap blades between razors as needed.

17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I don't. I exchange a blade when it's no good anymore. How many shaves that is depends on several factors.