"Must Have" DE Safety Razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mark_s, Feb 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

I'll confess that I haven't yet achieved quite a BBS shave, but I'm getting smoother shaves than I ever remember getting prior to returning to DE shaving. In fact, I remarked to a friend that, "my face feels so smooth, it's almost creepy". :)

And yes, as for the guns, that too evolved into a mania. I've got a friend very much into guitars, and that's no different. But, there are far worse things, and I am doing my part to stimulate the economy.

2. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

That is a beauty!

3. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

My main axe is also the Edwin Jagger EJ89 and I just love mine too! You're so right about the addiction too, man I feel like such a geek most of the time about how much I love my shaving implements, soaps, etc and love talkin' about it too. I have no friends that wet shave, which is why I'm so glad for the den! I can talk razors 'til the cows come home and I don't feel like a lunatic. :)

4. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

No "must haves", once you're happy with what you've got for shaving purposes. If you get into collecting, then the must haves are the ones that strike you personally as interesting.

There are no DE models that I couldn't do without, but I like having a number of them for variety, and because the designs just interest me. Of the classic Gillettes, my favorite is probably the Fatboy, for other makes, probably my Barbasol razor.

I usually shave with either an injector or an SE, but there's some wiggle room on exactly what models are must haves. I've got a number of models of each which would do for an only razor, but I'm way past just getting what I need. I wouldn't want to be without the choice of a Schick E1 or a Gem 1912, though.

5. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

The few people I've talked to about it, do that "isn't it a shame" head shake. LOL. They don't know what they're missing. My only regret is that I ever switched away.

6. CSG

CSG Member

My main razor is also an EJ DE89L which is larger and heavier than my various few vintage razors. I don't collect and I'm pretty satisfied with my small selection of vintage razors. I think if the old stuff is of interest, the so-called flair tip Super Speed, the ball Techs, Aristocrats, and one of the adjustables are all worthy of consideration. If I had to pick a "must have" it would be a gold ball end Tech so long as it was close to mint. They are compact, elegant, mild, and just really work well.

mark_s likes this.
  7. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Gillette Fat Boy
    Gillette Slim
    Gillett Aristocrat 1947-1948
    Apollo Mikron (German)
    Gillette Regular Flare Tip Super Speed (Early 1950's)
    Gillette Super Speed (Late 1940's)

8. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Ball Tech, Super-adjustable, Fatboy, Merkur Slant, EJ DE889L

9. AwNix

AwNix Member

I have to go look in my cabinet every time I see a question like this!

I would say Gillette Aristocrat & Gem G-Bar. They are so fancy and beautiful and the shaves are first rate. The Aristocrat is a heavier razor w/ a first-rate shave feel, it's different than any other Gillette razor and you can really feel the "luxury" the razor was designed to be.

The G-Bar is a great looking razor (it's chromed!) and also has a very. very smooth feel. It produces a high quality comfortable shave.

Both razors are addicting and I would purchase either again. '48 Aristocrats can be had for about $15 and the G-Bar for $5 or less. You have to find a seller who doesn't know the razors they are selling and take a chance on a razor that may need cleaning up to get the best deal. A little handsoap w/ a toothbrush and also toothpicks in the crevices can make most old, worn razors come back to life again, be beautiful and ready for use! Seek out either razor. You shouldn't be disappointed.

If the Aristocrat was sold today I would spend $70 for it. The G-Bar I feel is worth $50.

10. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Nice collection. I really enjoyed going after my birth year razors. So many razors and blades and soaps to buy but so little time. (dependent on how old you currently are)

11. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I thought a regular Superspeed was the best, then I got a red tip, then I got a fatboy. I have to force myself to shave with anything but the fatboy now. The fatboy is over-hyped but it is a great razor. It's a real pity that the hype has driven prices up so high.

mark_s likes this.
  12. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

I think the must have DE razor is the I want more of them kind.. ;)

mark_s likes this.
  13. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

Oddly (especially for me), my somewhat manic acquisition disorder came to a halt after getting the Merkur 180. It's definitely my "go to" razor, and I don't really think I can do better. Hmm, maybe I'd better check to see if I'm running a fever.

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  14. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

'Manic acquisition disorder'.. Mark I do believe you've come up with a whole new shaving disorder..:bounce015:

mark_s likes this.
  15. mark_s

mark_s Active Member

I don't do anything, even disorders, in moderation. :)

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  16. CmdrBond

CmdrBond Member

Well I have no clue on must haves - I'm new to all this.

I currently running with a loaned Aluminium Handles Tech frankenRazor whilst I wait for my slim to turn up.

As far as collecting goes - I haven't really got any must haves their either - although the Psycho does interest me (this was a tech that was used in prisons and mental institutions. I believe there was 1 key (to change the blades) for every 10 razors, making obtaining both together quite difficult apparently.

brit likes this.
  17. hamoncan

hamoncan Member

If I had to pare down my little collection to a minimum, I'd have to keep my Slim, my Red Tip Super Speed and a flair tip Super Speed. Some days I'd miss my Merkur Progress and I'd always wish I'd done better with my Tech ball end.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Schick Krona

19. brit

brit in a box

i get what you mean with the hobby mania.for me it is model car kits,darts, vintage lighters,now razors.i will say though; i build my vintage model kits,i play darts,i use my vintage zippos and shave with all my razors.i own an ej de89, merkur 34c,but i love all my rockets and techs.i would like to own 1 really nice early 50s executive in a case just for a real treat once in a while ,but i think i have all my" must have" razors.the pre war tech and the rocket hd were my latest must haves.....

20. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My five years in the future self no longers agrees with my 2012 posting.

That being said, I still think a Fatboy should be in everyone's collection, even though I rarely use mine anymore.

Bama Samurai and brit like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.