My 3-day boar brush break in

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by BambulanceMan, Aug 2, 2017.

1. BambulanceMan

BambulanceMan Well-Known Member

Howdy folks!
    So a week or so ago I got my boar brush from Stirling. Immediately liked the brush, never had a boar brush before and I had read all about the month long break in period to split the hairs and soften it up.

Well a buddy of mine pointed me to a YouTube video on a process to speed the breaking in period up..... To three days!

Suffice to say I was Intrigued, I went too it. Here is the process. All you doo is grab your brush, put it in cold water in a cup, and then leave it in the fridge for three days.

So that's what I did. Now I did take it out after day two, agitate the brush (dried in circles and swipes on a Terry cloth towel for 10 minutes) and then put it back. I already had a couple split hairs with just this! Now I put it back in the fridge and left it another 24 hours. After the last day I took the brush out. Shook out the excess water, and proceeded to do the same agitation as earlier. Here is the results! It's amazing. I have plenty of split hairs and the brush is noticeably softer.

Give it a try guys! [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Interesting. Good job!!

Kokak, Bobcat and BambulanceMan like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I prefer the old fashioned way - just use 'em.

But that's me.

At least your way doesn't involve lathering a brick with the brush. Yup. True advice given many years ago.

Steve56, Kokak, Gnomeo0228 and 9 others like this.
  4. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Interesting method. I have three boar brushes now. I use them all the time in rotation to allow each to completely dry. Almost never use a badger anymore. I find that even once the hairs are split and the top is extremely soft - the stiff backbone of the bristle makes a far better lather.

Kokak, twhite, Bobcat and 5 others like this.
  5. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:happy088:

Kokak, Zykris and BambulanceMan like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

That's very interesting and I might be tempted to try it. I do love boar brushes. However, I think I'll stick with @swarden43 's method.

Kokak, PickledNorthern, RyX and 2 others like this.
  7. BambulanceMan

*shudders*

Kokak and Zykris like this.
  8. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

It really isn't that bad. Use the soaps/creams with the strongest scents for about 10 days straight and you'll be good to go.

Kokak, Jim99, George X and 1 other person like this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  10. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

:signs011:
    I enjoy the process of breaking a boar brush in the old fashioned way. Each shave feels better than the last...

11. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I've never read this method before. In the future, I might give it a try but it's hard to resist the allure of just using it to break it in. Nice alternative method though.

12. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Kokak likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very neat!

Kokak and BambulanceMan like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

I don't mind the use it on your face break in process. Having a fresh boar brush gives that scrubby feeling I didn't know I wasn't supposed to like.
    Trying a 10% vinegar solution to clean a well broken in Omega boar softened it too much for my liking. Hint; it's a weak solution of acetic acid that acts as a mild chelating agent useful in removing mineral deposits that accumulate over time.

Kokak and BambulanceMan like this.
  15. BambulanceMan

What about borox?

Kokak and RyX like this.
  16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy096:

Kokak likes this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Kokak and RyX like this.
  18. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I've always taken the brush out of the packing, rinsed it once, and started using it. Worked fine for me, for over three decades.

Kokak likes this.
  19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I have had 2 SOC Boars. I prefer the "use it for 30 straight shaves" technique. Probably because I like the challenge. Glad your technique worked for you.

Steve56 and Kokak like this.
  20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Sounds like a great idea. Anything to speed things along, without harming the brush.

Kokak and RyX like this.