My All-Time Favorite Brush: Omega Pro 49

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Legend In My Spare Time, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Legend In My Spare Time

Legend In My Spare Time Well-Known Member

I've been wet shaving for over 5 years. During that time, I have ran the gamut of different shave brushes. From extra soft and luxurious badgers, to horse hair, to some scritchy boars. They've all had there pros and cons, but the one brush I constantly come back to is the Omega Pro 49. It was the second brush I ever bought and it hasn't left my den yet.

[​IMG]

It is just an all around top performer for my shaving needs and the price is just too good to pass up. The Pro 49 has the perfect amount of backbone for face lathering (my preferred method) and in just as little as a few uses, the tips begin to soften up to equal some of the best badgers. I know it might be a little large for some, but I love bigger brushes. This beast can easily hold enough lather for a 5 pass shave if I wanted to go that far. I've heard it been called "the paintbrush," and I can definitely see why.

It does astoundingly well with even the hardest of soaps and is pure nirvana when it comes to the softer croaps. I can whip up some slick, protective goodness when using my Omega Pro 49 on a tub of Cella or Stirling. It is like it was made for them.

In fact, I actually gave away all of my other brushes and now strictly use my Pro 49. I have another one, in box, as a back up. I am thinking of trying out the synthetic version of the 49 though. I've been hearing wonderful things about Omega's synthetic line.

Anyone else like to use the Omega Pro 49? Or do you prefer a softer, shorter brush?

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I have one and love it, though I do prefer badger brushes.
    When/if it ever dies, I will get another!

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is a great boar. I have used it as a donor for some Rubberset 400 type brushes.

JR87_20.jpg JR#61_54.JPG JR122_32.jpg

wristwatchb, Tdmsu, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

I love my 10098. It just fully broke in and the boar odor is pretty much history. It does a great job with soaps. Used it yesterday with Route 66 "Rum Runner". This morning it made a great lather with Proraso Green Cream(tube). I may go for another boar down the line. The 48 might be the one!

5. Legend In My Spare Time

After 3 years of near daily use, my first Omega Pro 49 has gone into retirement. Got a little too floppy and wasn't holding as much lather as it once did. But, it was still an amazing brush that can tear through a soap and whip up a marvelous lather.

Broke out my backup Pro 49 and with only a handful of test lathers and rinses, there is no "boar-funk" and is fully ready for my next shave. I absolutely adore this brush!

DesertTime likes this.
  6. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

A brush every wet shaver should have.

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have a 49 and like it very much. Not sure if I would call it my favorite boar, but I would say it's the best value of any brush I own.

As far as the Omega S brushes, I wasn't a fan at all. The tips weren't anything special, and I felt like their backbone was basically just plasticky sproinginess that flicked millions of specks of lather all over the mirror. It only costs a few bucks to check it out for yourself though, and everyone's tastes are different. Just get an extra bottle of Windex with it.

8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It is a classsic, I am on my second. Once broken in it belongs in the pantheon of brushes.

9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Nice brush, but too big for me on a daily basis. I tried.

I really enjoyed the one size down from there 10066 or the dyed version.

10. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Love my 49. I will not be without one in my den!

11. Legend In My Spare Time

For sure! That and the Semogue 610 are what I recommend any new shavers if they're interested in a boar brush.

I love a good backbone on a brush and the 49 is a perfect balance between that and soft tips. A great value indeed!

I totally feel you on Omega's S line. I tried the synthetic equivalent to the 49 and like you said, it lacked that great backbone and didn't seem to create that silky lather I was used to. I'm sure there are some other synthetic brush that could be a winner though.

Definitely! I'm on my third now and ordering another backup tonight. With near daily face lathering and loading a croap from the tub - I get 2-3 years of wet shaving from this amazing brush. Breaks in super quickly and transforms into soft tips with fantastic lather retention and application.

Love my big brushes! Yeah, you could hold enough lather in it to shave your head and chest, lol. I have been eyeing the 1066 though. That looks about the smallest I would go in terms of boar. Does it break in pretty quickly?

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

A terrific brush, for sure -- maybe even a classic. While not my everyday brush, it gets its share of face time.

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

The Omega 10066 is a great bang for your buck! And a heck of a brush, I've never met an Omega I didn't like. :) Now I'll need to bring out the Semogue 610 and revisit it.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I love mine. I still rotate through several brushs but this is a great one!!

15. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I believe the handle is called a "gourd" shape (not sure though). It's my favorite handle shape, whatever it's called.

RyX likes this.
  16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Yeah. It doesn't take long to break them in. Once they get there, it is a treat. I only have the orange and black brush on the right left. I PIF the purple one to someone, but don't remember who. The purple one is a 10066 knot and the orange one is the 10029 baby pro knot. I much prefer the 10066 knot.

omegas.jpg

brit and DesertTime like this.
  17. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have the one with the chrome handle and it never broke in. It's rough and stiff. It's like using a whisk broom. I still use it for the hard pucks and hope one day it will finally get some what soft.

RyX and Legend In My Spare Time like this.
  18. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The chrome is the 48...near identical knot to the 49. Yes, it will eventually soften...but perhaps not to the softness you prefer. Some prefer badgers and synthetics to the stiffer boar knots.

19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

@Kenneth Sampson

The size of the 48-49 knot has wide ranging utility. With a thirsty soap, like Arko, three passes and then a quick degrease of my truck engine block is the norm. I actually moved away from the boar in favor of the Plisson.

20. Legend In My Spare Time

Broke out my new Omega Pro 49 after my last one went a little too floppy after 3 years of exclusive use. Within 3 shaves, it was already breaking in wonderfully, with tons of soft tips. These brushes are pure champs for their price range. :D

Keithmax, RyX, DesertTime and 2 others like this.