My blade has betrayed me!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Razor Blade 79, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

I took my birth razor for a spin with a new Gillette silver blue blade and it felt like I took a lawnmower to my face. I've gotten the smoothest closest shaves with this blade in my EJ DE 89 but its a 180 with my 1979 super speed. Guess I gotta find a new blade for it. The blade gap in my super speed is a lot greater than my vintage Gillette techs, and here I thought this would be a mild razor.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

The SuperSpeed* IS a mild razor, but ANY razor can make mincemeat if not handled with care. Different razor; different feel. Go light and ease into using the SS—and do try a new blade.

* exception is the Red Tip

3. Razor Blade 79

Razor Blade 79 Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm gonna try a different blade, I ain't giving up on my birth year razor.

4. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I normally rotate between five different razors. Each one of them performs a little different. I use the same brand blade in two of them and a different brand in each of the other three. You just have to find the right blade for each razor.

5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

With the R41 I've tried a lot of blades, the only one that worked for me is the Personna Lab Blue. It takes a few shaves with a razor/blades to get it dialed in.

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I also get stellar shaves from my Weber DLC, EJ89, Gillette Fat Handled Tech or 48"-55" Aristocrat/Diplomat TTO, but less than enjoyable shaves from a SuperSpeed...