My Brush Repairs, Restorations & Builds

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Enrico, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thanks, this handle just called for a Tuxedo. :)

Thank you. Glad you like.

Thank you!

2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I've used three of Maggard's black and white synthetics, 26mm, 24mm, and 20mm. The two larger ones are fantastic, but the 20 is kinda wimpy, no backbone at all. What are your thoughts on yours?

3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

How 'bout a "Blood Knot"? :D

[​IMG]

4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I haven't used the 20mm yet, but I regularly enjoy my 22mm sunrise.

TobyC likes this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Looks pretty wild. :)

TobyC and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I saw those knots on Etsy and thinking about getting one or two in the near future. I also saw a vendor on the Bay with blue and white knots.

Enrico and TobyC like this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well I'm finally finishing this brush from months ago (started on page 6).
    s-l1600-2.jpg
    Before

The receiver of the the original knot was misshapen that replacing it was in order. After disassembly and cleanup of the handle I proceeded to dye and ink the handle; followed by sealing it with a soaking in Teak oil. Process can be some what be followed here ...

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/my-brush-restoration-builds.55143/page-6

I set it aside for about five months that included moving, holidays and just being apathetic. I pick up a new receiver for a new knot and ordered a 24mm Best badger for it. Once I received the knot in the mail; assembly was short order; gave it a nice lather with the following result.

IMG_0928.JPG
    After

So over five and half months later it's finished with a 24mm Best badger, the handle feels like silk, and it has a nice natural weightiness. It was originally going to my daughter in-law, but I made her a different brush she dearly loves, but I sure it will find a home soon enough.

As always ..... more to come. :D

8. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

A garden hose doo dad?!!! Don't bang it on your mug/bowl! :p

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

No problems with a salsa bowl! ;)

TobyC and jimjo1031 like this.
  10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

nice job Enrico..............

Enrico and TobyC like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you. :D

Linuxguile, TobyC and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Very nice!

Enrico likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thanks!

Linuxguile likes this.
  14. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Your doing some very nice work. The next step is a lathe:).

RyX and Enrico like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you, I use to have one, but when my wife and I moved to Africa I sold all my equipment. Unfortunately now I reside in an apartment.

Bubbablade and oscar11 like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

We in August, I thought about restoring this brush for my daughter in-law ...
    IMG_0719.JPG

I decided on a different one for her and this one sat around since then and only recently I purchased some knots.

Here's another one I decided to restore at the same time ...
    IMG_0930.JPG

One is a Never Shed and the other is a Holdtite. I think both are pre 20's, due to no "Sterilized" on the brushes.

Here are a few of the steps I'm going through working on them.
    IMG_0929.JPG IMG_0931.JPG IMG_0932.JPG

And as always ... More to come. :D

17. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Very cool!!! :happy096:

More of those wooden center plugs I see! ;)

That Holdtite is amazing bubba! :signs021:

:happy088:

:happy093:

Enrico likes this.
  18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The Holdtite is quite the small brush; want to install an 18mm badger knot. Though on hold due to they sent me the wrong knot (a cheap synthetic). :angry032: The handle is in surprisingly good shape for the age. The center are more of a pain than anything; can't install a new knot with out removing it. :) So I'll be working on the Never Shed first while waiting for more knots (it's a 22mm knot).

Keithmax, TobyC and RyX like this.
  19. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

There are some instructables on how people have built pocket lathes using a step switch and an electric drill. I'm working on that, but to use as a quick change buffer/grinder. Anyway - with something like that, you could quickly set up something small on your apartment porch, then tear it apart when done.

RyX and Enrico like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well I got to doing some work on them today .... a little bit of a pain, but it'll all pay off ......

The Never Shed and the Dr Warren's Holdtite
    IMG_0938.JPG

So far I disassembled them removing their knot, stripped the paint, sanded, dyed and epoxied the metal to the handle. Next is a few day soak in Teak oil and polishing.

And as always ... More to come. :D