My Brush Repairs, Restorations & Builds

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Enrico, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Much as I love the look of pure wood grain, when there's nothing special about the wood to stand out (as in this case), then staining is a way to make it stand out a bit. As for the copper pipe, it'll be somewhat self-sterilizing now :)

Keithmax and Enrico like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

No worries. I'm with you on natural wood, but I've found in sales, even though it get my craw; I have to proved what the hipsters desire. So sometimes I produce certain colors and styles that catches their eye and worst yet may only be bought as a decoration in their urbane loft or condo.

Keithmax, Kraken98 and TobyC like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

As for the copper ... it has very little of it exposed. The outside, inside and bottom are sealed with epoxy. So yes there is a fine line of it on top exposed; it's really not much worse than a copper cap on a Gillette.

TobyC likes this.
  4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Please be assured that I wasn't being negative in any way, nor was I trying to tell you what to do. Just sharing my thoughts, which is what we do on these forums.

Generally speaking, the customer is a strange bird indeed, and they are always right, even when we don't agree!

Keithmax and Enrico like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

@TobyC, I really took no negativity from your input; just your ideas, thoughts and opinions which I aways welcome.

If people don't think consumers aren't strange; just look at the people wanting to buy plastic and sawdust furniture, then putting the real wood furniture out to the curb. :shocked003:
    :shocked029:

Jim99, Keithmax and TobyC like this.
  6. Bookworm

It's because people no longer learn how to fix anything. 'My table is scratched up', means 'take it to the dump and replace it'. They don't think it's worth paying someone 300-400 to resurface it commercially. That's true - but they also don't want to know how to fix it for $50 by themselves.

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The oak chair in my living room I use the most; is a hand made craftsman or mission style rocker, made pre 20's. I bought it off craigslist for $35 and drove an hour and half to pick up. I worked on it about four months and it was probably going to the curb if I didn't grab it. I know it wasn't production due to small details not symmetrical. My boys would rather sleep on the floor or their clothes in boxes than to have junk furniture ... all real wood or nothing. :D

Having good furniture doesn't cost a fortune when people will just about give away solid oak dressers.

Jim99, Keithmax and TobyC like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I had one 21mm best badger knot left in stock and decided restore this one a Rubberset #153 ...
    p-2.jpg
    (sorry for the bad picture)

I removed the knot and bored it out (a very little bit) to accept the 21mm Best badger knot. A little polishing, epoxy and a lather to clean. Here it is ...
    IMG_0972.JPG
    All in its bakelite goodness ... the Rubberset #153

The fine line between the black and butterscotch is the original glue residue. It lathers up very nicely, like a nice big snowball. :shocked003:

And as always ... More to come. :D

9. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Another gorgeous result! I'm so impressed with your projects and thanks for sharing. Those brushes have to be some of my favorite looking diys ive seen. 346x0f4.jpg

10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:thanks: The wooden ones take quite a bit of work, but I enjoy working on all of them.

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My Maggard order came in and my son was asking how difficult would to be to restore an old Surrey or VDH brush.

..... I took it as a challenge.

IMG_0976.JPG

With the hollow shedding boar knot removed, cleaned and bored out; I weighted and installed a 24mm synthetic horse knot after the handled was polished back to a better than new luster with only very minor imperfections (just touch too much epoxy).

IMG_0977.JPG

High ho Greenie rides again! :kngt:

jimjo1031, Jim99, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I saw this brush and thought, that would make a massively cool shaving brush.
    s-l1600-14.jpg

Yes, that's a big Rubberset stenciling brush 28-30mm. :shocked003:

After removing the top pins and knot; I polished the metal and set in a Maggard's 28mm Timberwolf synthetic knot.

IMG_0980.JPG

The result is a HUGE Rubberset shaving brush!

13. Bookworm

All the better to destroy soaps with?

Enrico likes this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Who am I to argue ... some people like big brushes. :)

15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I think I'll call it the "Rubberset Terminator" ______________:transport016:

Jim99 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The continuing saga of the Hardright brush that turned in to three brushes ...

IMG_0939.JPG

Brush number two was the core of it.

IMG_0982.JPG

Sanded and gave it a receiver; I then soaked it in teak oil for a few days. Setting a 24mm synthetic horse hair knot :kngt: it's ready for a new life.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    jimjo1031, Jim99, Linuxguile and 4 others like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I started the restoration of a real vintage Rubberset, pre 1920's.

IMG_0978.JPG
    before pic

Prior to knot removal, I knew the ferule would move, but then it REALLY wanted to move. So I temporarily pinned it into place with ... pins.

BTW the electrical tape is to protect the ferule while using the Dremel to remove the knot.

IMG_0979.JPG
    The pins held it in place long enough for the epoxy to secure the ferule. I hand rolled the ferule on its lower edge (it was a little sharp). I finished sanding, inking, and then it took a nice long teak oil bath (48 hours).

IMG_0984.JPG

Here it is after drying 24 hours and the ferule polished.

IMG_0987.JPG

The ferule is in nice shape for being ~100 years old ... some patina and oxidation marks (character), but solid as a truck. set in two 2017 pennies as spacers and dropped in a Maggard's 20mm Tuxedo knot. Saved to lather for another 100 years of shaves.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

@Enrico a very impressive body of work :happy096:

Enrico and TestDepth like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you ... keeps me into the extent of trouble, that is acceptable to SWMBO (AKA my lovely wife). :sexe:

Keithmax and TestDepth like this.
  20. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Enrico, you do very nice work. Thank you for showing us what you've done/are doing. I wish I was that talented.

Enrico likes this.