My Brush Repairs, Restorations & Builds

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Enrico, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Bakelite has a number of different fillers, including sawdust. With enough moisture, the ring might have -expanded-, and then contracted when drying. Enough of that, and it'd split - especially if the steel band was a firm fit (and/or glued in). Also, the steel would have a different expansion coefficient from the Bakelite (or a brass ring). I'm more surprised there aren't a LOT more broken Bakelite items around.

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well as for threaded ... even cracked it wouldn't budge.

IMG_1009.JPG IMG_1010.JPG

Wooden handle, from base to black bakelite = 1 7/8" or 48mm
    Bakelite = ~7/8" or 23mm

Very comfortable in the hand.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The Rubberset R79 and the Fuller of the same design split a lot.

4. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

That makes even more sense, then.

5. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Thank you sir, so, 2 3/4, that's not bad, around 4 3/4 with the knot installed, give or take.

6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Sorry, I should have gave you the overall height. Total overall height is ~5"

7. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

You gave me what I asked for. :happy088: I just added an approximate 51mm to get an approximate overall height.

So, you never got the ferrule off? Harder to work the wood that way,... but ya done good!

Enrico likes this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I usually remove the ferrule, but being that it had already broke once and a chip popped; that both had to be repair, I said enough fooling around.

TobyC and Bookworm like this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I decided to work on a sad little brush I received in a group ......

IMG_1004.JPG

It was coated with a very thick coat of black tar like paint. I believe it's an early Diamond E brush and was produce between the 20's and 30's due to the "Sterilized" stamp looked like it was kind of an after thought, only impressed in to the paint and not in to the wood or painted on.

I extracted the boar knot and the thick paint was fun to remove, but finally revealed a very rough knotted wood; why waste time sanding if your painting it. After much sanding, the knot receiver was re-enforced and blue India ink was applied prior to giving it an over night soak in teak oil.

IMG_1012.JPG
    It was inked due to some of the black refused to come off so needed camouflage.

More to come ... :D

10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Looks good, I like the shape...............

Enrico likes this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you .... I ran into a little snag.

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I hit a little issue on previous brush restoration so gave it a rest and jumped on another instead.

I receive an Ever Ready 300N in group of brushes I bought a few weeks back and decided to restore with a Maggard's Angel synthetic (that's what I call it).

Bad before pic (sorry)
    a8f6d46eeaf13a47941b045fcd0bfdde-2.jpg

I really like the shape of the 300N, but they are a real pain to prep. With a little work I bored it out to take a 24mm and weighted the handle.

IMG_1026.JPG

Even though the knot is only a 24mm it looks more like a 26mm, it looks and feels beautiful. :happy093:

And as always ... More to come. :D

13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I like the way the new knot works out for the handle, good choice..............

Enrico likes this.
  14. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Look great Keith!

Enrico likes this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you; the picture is brighter than it should be (poor lighting), but the knot is actually more boar colored. I thought it matched the base better.

TestDepth, jimjo1031 and Linuxguile like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:thanks:

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

A while back I pick up a couple Pre 1920's brushes ... a Mayd-Well and a Heldtite

Well after removing their old knot,stengthening them, and setting new 18 mm Finest badger knots; they're finished.
    IMG_1058.JPG
    They still have their original finish.

And as always ... more to come! :D

RyX, MoAllen, TestDepth and 4 others like this.
  18. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Beautiful erotica! :happy096:

jimjo1031, Linuxguile and Enrico like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you. :)

TobyC and jimjo1031 like this.
  20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

An Erskine I picked off Ebay ... made a deal with seller, due to I wasn't sure if I could repair it.
    IMG_1046.JPG IMG_1047.JPG
    I taped the top and bottom to protect it while removing the knot and to prevent the crack from traveling further.
    IMG_1051.JPG
    I removed the bottom, knot and removed the plaster from inside. To stabilize the crack and add weight; BB's with epoxy were put inside.
    IMG_1054.JPG IMG_1055.JPG
    I removed the tape off the bottom and set an even line to sand (~ 1/8 of an inch). I replaced the tape (insurance) and sanded down to set line past the existing crack.
    IMG_1059.JPG
    I traced out a circle on to sheet copper and cut it out. After sanding the copper smooth (on the side to be epoxied), I epoxied and clamped it for ~12 hours.
    IMG_1061.JPG IMG_1062.JPG
    This time took a little time (~ an hour); I filed the excess copper from its edge and sanded it to its final shape, then polished it.
    IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1064.JPG

I'm not sure if I'll bore it out larger, but have a few synthetic to choose from.

And as always ... more to come. :D

dangermouse, mvd, RyX and 6 others like this.