My Brush Repairs, Restorations & Builds

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Enrico, Mar 27, 2017.

1. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

You covered that gorgeous wood with blue?!!! :scared011: You ain't no proper Carolina boy! :rolleyes005:

Enrico likes this.
  2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Thr natural wood looks great but then again so does the blue. What did you have the wood treated with? Just oil?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Enrico likes this.
  3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

You shoulda just used boar and dyed the knot blue. :happy088:

Enrico likes this.
  4. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Enrico likes this.
  5. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

There are a handful of decent badger knots that are in a similar price range.

Enrico likes this.
  6. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

With backbone? Where? The inexpensive ones are usually mush, I have become a hardcore boar guy because I like 'em firm, but there just aren't many to choose from. If you have a good source for firm, full badgers in the $20 range, I'm all ears stu. :happy088:

Enrico likes this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If my poor daughter in-law has to put up with my son; I figure I work some magic on a custom brush for her. And as I said ... she likes blue.

Believe it or not, that is un treated so far, but I plan on teak oil.

I was originally going to go natural, but unsure at this point. If natural boar, but leaning synthetic such an Angel knot or the synthetic silver tip.

I looked, was sad to see the fan top was out of stock, but keep in mind, I have time till Christmas.

Unsure if she's got the patience to no natural.

As I said if I was to go natural it would probably be boar.

TobyC likes this.
  8. hdflame

hdflame Active Member

Very nice job on all of them. I have a few old brushes I bought off of eBay to try and restore but haven't been brave enough to tackle yet!

Is there a "How To" on here for replacing knots? Would you mind sharing your techniques? Such as type of drill bits, weights, epoxy, how to drill them out, etc.

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you.

For your first brush look for vintage ugly brush for less than $5 and knots for about $5 (including shipping on ebay), so no loss while learning. I'll post tools, equipment and supplies (and suppliers) I commonly use (real soon).

BTW I sent you a PM with more information.

Bubbablade, Linuxguile and Stu929 like this.
  10. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I started trying to drill with a dremel but quickly gave that up and switched to a larger drill bit chucked in a drill... be careful though as some knots are resilient while others offer little resistance. I had one knot that failed quickly and I punched a hole through the bottom of the handle too!

Also I used the stone grinding bits for the dremel as first but quickly ordered metal grinding bits that dont gum up like the stone and grit ones. Lastly I would stay away from the felt polishing wheel it burnt a divot in a brush. I got loose cloth polishing wheels from harbor freight and amazon that work great.

Linuxguile likes this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

While waiting for knots I jumped to another brush ...

Well it starts with a very sad Klenzo B 1021 brush
    s-l1600-5.jpg
    s-l1600-6.jpg

Removal of the knot wasn't gonna be pretty no matter what, so in the end I finished the split and disassembled it.

IMG_0770-2.JPG

To clean up the cracks of calcium and soap build up I used a soak of vinegar and then a soapy water soak.

IMG_0771.JPG ooooooo fancy.:happy068:

I forgot pics on the next part, but I super glued the cracks using the clamping power of electrical tape. I lined the inside of the top with epoxy to strengthen the repaired cracks. After cleaning the joint on the lower half with a Dremel, I epoxied it on to the top half.

IMG_0789.JPG IMG_0788.JPG

I bored it out as much as I dared without compromising the epoxied interior walls. I went from a 15mm badger to 18mm. I knew I couldn't save the lettering, so I worked from 220 to 320 to 400 grit paper, then my wife's dead green scrubby from the sink. I followed this process with rubbing compound.

I installed a 18mm finest badger knot and soaked (for five minutes) in warm water then lathered and let it stand for three hours.

IMG_0797.JPG

And when I say little, I do mean little.

IMG_0799.JPG

Both of these brushes could have been deemed total loses to head for a landfill, but I crave a challenge.

As always ..... more to come. :D

12. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Love the color of the little guy!

Enrico likes this.
  13. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Nice little brush, cool save bubba! :happy096:

Enrico likes this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

It's even brighter than the big one.

Thank you!

TobyC likes this.
  15. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Nice job on both of them.......

Enrico likes this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you sir :)

17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well I was asked what tools and supplies I used; so heres a pic.
    IMG_0814.JPG

Nothing too fancy.

And as always ... more to come. :D

18. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I love these! They cut great and they don't clog like the like the stone bits that come with most sets.[​IMG]

CarlfromMO, BigMark83, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Here's what I've been using.
    [​IMG]

jimjo1031 likes this.
  20. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I drill first then switch to those boring bits.