My cold water lathering building, shave routine

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Azarius, Jun 9, 2012.

1. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

Soak brush in ice water while showering
    [​IMG]

Squeeze excessive water from brush , poor water and ice cubes into a mug or another bowl for face rinsing. Swirl brush 10 times in VDH soap, put two squirts of KMF in bowl. Eyeball the amount of water you think looks right, my guess is about a tablespoon or so.
    [​IMG]

Build lather to the constancy that you like, I prefer my a little thicker than Greek Yogurt
    [​IMG]

Dip razor in ice water before applying to face. Rinse razor in cold or ice water between strokes.
    [​IMG]

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  2. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Very nice Arley. Thanks for sharing. I really like the look of that brush. Now we just have to get you using some better software! :happy102:

Slipperyjoe likes this.
  3. Azarius

I have some TSD wheat cream and soap being made. I have other soaps, but I am trying to finish this bottle and puck. I am just kind of OCD about not having more than one cream and soap open at once.

I have tried mostly lower end products: C.O. Bigelow, Proraso Sandalwood, Proraso Sensitive, KMF unscented, KMF green tea and bamboo, all sents of Derby cream, Arko, Palmolive, and VDH.

I am able to build a nice lather with all, some though require much more product. The Arko I like for face lathers, but ate the scent, that is why I have the Palmolive, which I have yet to try

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Myself I like the clear brush handle..nice touch..kinda helps establish the mood..:Animatedfrozensmily:

5. Bluesbishop

Bluesbishop Active Member

That bowel looks pretty cool for building lather....I'm rarely bowl lathering, but did try your ice lather as a face lather the other day....shocked at how pleasant of a shave it was... which scent did you get in TSD soaps and cream?? I want to try the sandalwood and the vanilla bourbon.....

GDCarrington likes this.
  6. Azarius

That is my favorite brush, just like the one my father had, and Ken (BluesBishop) still has. It does have that kenting ice cube look.

This bowl is great for building nice creamy lathers, it is my favorite bowl or mug that that I have used.

I purchased the TSD wheat cream and soap in Sandalwood, and second wheat cream in Voilet Patchouli.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    If a moderator is reading this, I think Azarius deserves the custom title "Cool Cat" to match his avatar and method of shaving.
    :Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily::Animatedfrozensmily:who needs menthol when ice cubes work better?

GDCarrington, awake2shave and Azarius like this.
  8. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Interesting cold water shave , nice looking lather. :)

GDCarrington and Azarius like this.
  9. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Hmm cold and wet i have the UK climate for that, but cant fault the looks of the lather, great results :)

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. Matt F

Matt F Active Member

Looks good....:cool:

GDCarrington likes this.
  11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Well done, Sir! And there isn't a thing wrong with the "software" you're using.
    I do believe a "CWS Week" will have to be added to the deck.

GDCarrington and lindyhopper66 like this.
  12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Dude, throw some menthol in the mix and I think you may have a recipe for Mondays.

PLANofMAN and GDCarrington like this.
  13. Mitch

Mitch Active Member

How did you like the Proraso Sandalwood? I've never tried it, but I love a good Sandalwood.

GDCarrington likes this.
  14. Azarius

It lathered well enough but I was expecting more of an AoS type sandalwood scent. I really wish that Prosaso would make the orginal Red tube again, but since they don't, we have the TSD cream, as it is made with wheat oil.

I am fairly frugal so I tend to only open one cream and one soap at a time, but since I have a tube of Bigelow open already, tomorrow I may go menthol as it will be 91F by the time I leave to work.

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I agree with having a "CWS Week". I've done it for 3 months now.

GDCarrington likes this.
  16. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

Hey Arley, how do you like using the suribachi as a lather bowl?

GDCarrington likes this.
  17. jjadamsfb

jjadamsfb Member

I think I may have found the bowl for me :love055:

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. Uncle Brian

Uncle Brian Active Member

Nice article thanks for taking the time to show us. The bowl is cool I have it on my ' i want it ' list the lather is great looking too and I made some just like that this morning with some Dr Dittmar soap ... I ad to use lots more water than I used to using but it worked.
    It's winter down this part of the world so I'm not sure I could do the ice thing I did try the cold water thing and it was ok. Come summer I'll give it another shot.

GDCarrington likes this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I've tried CWS the last two mornings. Very difficult to get a decent lather going. Then I went back and read the first post and found out how to get the lather going - add two squirts of KMF along with the soap you have loaded on your brush. Honestly, two squirts of KMF by itself gives me plenty of lather for three passes and a touch up.

I'll stick with using hot water. Just so much easier to lather. But that's me.

GDCarrington likes this.
  20. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I have no trouble making lather, but I don't use the bowl technique. I get the soap on the brush and face lather. But mainly I use shave creams that I put a three almonds worth on my face and face lather. I can't tell a difference in the lather from when I used hot water and now the cold/ice water.

GDCarrington likes this.