My Dad gave me his old razor!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Albert Hui, Mar 30, 2015.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This is true. Albert, if you want to get this repaired, you should have the shop or individual do a replate as well.

2. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Congrats. Great story.

Albert Hui likes this.
  3. Albert Hui

Albert Hui Active Member

I actually checked Razor Emporium's site. They stated in their description for the razor revamp that they are unable to replace the 1960's-1970's black handled Super Speeds. I assume this is because of the plastic handle. I'm ok with that though. The original finish is still in good shape. Just need to polish it up with some flitz.

I may call them just to get a quote on what it would take to repair the knob tomorrow. Are there other razor repair services out there that you would recommend?

GDCarrington likes this.
  4. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

It really isn't a hard fix. What you have is a dropped knob which is common on super speeds. I have fixed two super speeds that had the same problem. All you need to do is screw it shut until it is tight. Then making sure that the twist knob is tight against the upper handle I use a wire cutter/cable stripper and crimp the groove just above the twist knob. I usually crimp it then turn it slightly and crimp it again a couple more times. This will hold the knob in place.

Albert Hui and InspiringK like this.
  5. HammeredThor

HammeredThor Active Member

Wow! That is definitely worth the effort! So much cooler to have a razor passed down than buying one off eBay (which I have to do :mail:)

Albert Hui likes this.
  6. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

I know my Dad had a Gillette Fat Boy as I distinctly remember the black & white case in the vanity drawer when I was a kid in the 70's. I looked for it after he passed away in 2001 but couldn't find it. He probably tossed it out not even thinking about it.:( I sure do miss my Dad.......:angelic013:

Albert Hui likes this.
  7. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

8. 211bma

211bma Active Member

It can be fixed Razor Emporium won't re-plate that razor but they probably can fix that problem you should contact them.

Albert Hui likes this.
  9. 211bma

211bma Active Member

DE fetish, Nice I should have thought of that!

10. Albert Hui

Albert Hui Active Member

After reading all the great replies, I sent my Dad's razor up to Razor Emporium to have it tuned up.

I have to say, those guys are top notch. They emailed me that they received the razor. Then after a couple days, I received a call. The guys informed me that the barrel had actually corroded from the inside and that they could not re-crimp the knob. They did have some spare parts and could repair it though! My whole objective was to get my Dad's razor shave ready, so I could use it just as my Dad did when he used a DE, so I agreed to have the razor repaired.

They emailed me that the razor was finished and being shipped back to me last Friday. I received it today. Let me tell you, it looks better than new in the box. Nice and shiny, the new barrel holding the knob perfectly. I immediately loaded the razor with one of my Astra SP's and am looking forward to tomorrow morning's shave!

I'll let the pics tell the rest. You can see the before pics on post#1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would definitely recommend the folks at Razor Emporium and will use their services on the next opportunity I get.

Rufus T., PatrickA51, Jayaruh and 5 others like this.
  11. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

Looks great. I have one just like it and it does a nice job. Enjoy!

Albert Hui likes this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

That looks fantastic.

Albert Hui likes this.
  13. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

It looks incredible. Thanks for the positive feedback on Razor Emporium and the heartwarming story of having something from your pops that you can pass on to another generation. There are a lot of us that wish we had that chance!

Albert Hui likes this.
  14. NewellVW

NewellVW Well-Known Member

Sweet! Nice clean-up, nice story! Just bookmarked Razor Emporium in case their services are ever needed.

Looks like it will stand up to another generational hand-me-down.

Congrats and enjoy!

Albert Hui likes this.
  15. Albert Hui

Albert Hui Active Member

[​IMG]

Maiden voyage after the Tune Up Service!

A beautiful 2 pass shave with no touch ups this morning. Almost BBS!

16. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

Yes! Win, win win!
    That is my favorite DE razor. I started with one in the '70s, I have one now, and aside from a DE I have that was passed down to me, I'd give up every DE I own before I let mine go.
    Congrats on owning a great razor, and double that for owning your Dad's. Never let it go.

Albert Hui likes this.
  17. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Congratulations!!!!! What a beautiful story....This razor is a blessing....and you will bond with your Pop evertime you use this for the rest of you life....:happy088::happy088:

And wow! You are right...They did do a beautiful job...:happy096:...Glad to know, that they are really that good...

Thanks for sharing this...

SRNewb likes this.
  18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice indeed. Congratulations. Enjoy.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:happy096:on a successful restore. I'm sure your going to really enjoy using your Dads razor.:)

20. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Razor Emporium is top notch. I've purchased several razors from them, they've re-plated my birth year slim in nickel, and they're currently re-plating my red tip in rhodium.