My Daily Routine Question

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by m54daboll, Dec 2, 2015.

1. m54daboll

m54daboll Well-Known Member

So I just wanted to go through my daily routine of wet shaving and see if anyone had any tips or suggestions on how I can improve my technique. I'm always trying to learn so don't be shy. So here is my daily routine:
    -Prep with Hot shower (I usually shave at night before I go to bed)
    -Wash Face
    -Soak brush 3/4 in a mug during my shower
    -Apply Pre-shave (Most of the time it's Proraso White cream, but I have Maggard Pre-Shave Oil too)
    -Build Lather in small bowl
    -Mini Face-Lather (to work it into each hair)
    -Shave 2 passes one with grain and one cross
    -Rinse
    -Astringent (Witch Hazel or Alum)
    -Apply Post Shave Balm then sleep
    -Then, in the Morning, I apply an aftershave splash to wake up/ use as cologne.

Just wondering if there are any negative effects from shaving at night or not applying an alcohol based aftershave until the morning. Thanks!

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

sounds like a pretty solid routine.
    I differ in that I like a morning shave, shower at night. also I don't use preshave oil. instead I always use a warm washcloth, held on my face. and I'm a three pass guy. I resplash a/s after shower at night.
    but that's my routine, if yours works for you,I wouldn't change it.

3. m54daboll

Yup just looking for other's routines to see. I will try a bunch of different ones and fiddle around with it and see

Douglas Carey and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. pvtbanks

pvtbanks Corners First

My routine,

Shower, use some fancy face wash I got talked into at Macy's over a year ago.

Pre-Shave oil
    Load brush, and go into a face lather with at least 1 minutes of scrubbing
    First pass, across the grain
    Second pass, against the grain
    Third pass, against the grain on neck only
    Witch hazel
    Balm
    AS Splash

All done at night because I don't like waking up:D

5. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Bypass the bowl and go straight to the face and you've got a winner.

6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

My routine:

1. Wet rag with cold water, wipe face clean.
    2. Load wet beard with a shave stick or lather with a loaded brush.
    3. Take a pass WTG.
    4. Re-wet face (I don't attempt to rinse it clean), and relather.
    5. Take a pass XTG/ATG hybrid.
    6. Use remaining soap in brush to wash the rest of my face.
    7. Rinse well with COLD water.
    8. Partially dry face, apply alum block in two passes over entire beard. Let dry.
    9. TSD ISZ AS for a light skincare boost, allow to dry.
    10. Veg.
    Over prepping can cause more irritation than under prepping, at least in my case. I would also suggest losing the bowl, though if you're getting automatic great shaves--don't change a thing!

Spyder, Douglas Carey and m54daboll like this.
  7. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I do a hot towel beard soak then face lather and shave 2 or 3 passes depending on the razor and the amount of growth. If its a 2 pass day then I do XTG/ATG if 3 then a add a WTG pass at the beginning. If no irritation or blood I used an alcohol slash if there is then I use a balm. If I'm shaving early in the day for an event then I use both because they smell great together and make each other seem to last 12 hours or so. I normally shave at night and shower I the morning. That much cold water does better then coffee. I've used preshave oil but didn't notice enough of an improvement to be worth the added time and effort.

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "m54daboll"

It's nice seeing another young guy enjoying the benefits of "traditional" shaving.
    Sounds like you have a well thought out routine.:happy088:

Mine is much the same, except I shave after I shower in the morning. For a preshave I use Corn Huskers Lotion, it's non-oily, works as well as Prorso or Jack Black for me at least and it's WAY less expensive! I do a Kyle prep(mini face lather)which sits on my face as I bring my lather to the correct consistency. 3 quick (tap water)hot towels, less than a minute total time. I make multiple passes (2-5) with only the first pass being a formal WTG or north/south pass, my other passes incorporate WTG,ATG,XTG. My final pass is mostly WTG with just water for lubricant. I also have never used an astringent other than AS(mostly drug store). I finish with Nivea post shave balm also.:)

9. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I shower or wash my face with hot water and Kirk's Cococastile soap. Depending on the brush I am using, it may soak. Then I lather up and shave. I started out with a home made pre-shave oil and then used up a bottle of Cornhusker's Lotion but have not used anything else since around June.

Douglas Carey likes this.
  10. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

What is a "mini-face lather?"

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You've got a pretty solid routine.
    Forget the hot water and forget the bowl. Cold water makes your whiskers stand up better for a close shave. I don't even soak my brush anymore. I simply wet it really well and squeeze it gently before loading it. I load soaps for 30 seconds. Creams I just swirl two or three times. Go straight to the face and build your lather there. You will have plenty left in your brush for another pass or two. I do alum and WH. Then, I brush my teeth and follow up with after shave.

12. m54daboll

Same with me hahahha I can't get up 10 or 15 minutes earlier. I also am stuck using a dorm bathroom which is packed. So I tend to shave at 1 or 2 am

Douglas Carey and pvtbanks like this.
  13. m54daboll

Interesting. I always thought a bowl would help work the lather up better. I'll have to try it!

Douglas Carey and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. m54daboll

Yep I love the traditional methods! I also use Nivea post shave balm it's great stuff

Robyflexx likes this.
  15. m54daboll

I just learned about the cold water today. I will try it tonight and see how it works for me. Always thought you had to shave with hot water

Jayaruh likes this.
  16. m54daboll

Basically a face lather I just don't spend a ton of time doing it, probably about a minute. My thought process was to build the lather in the bowl while adding small drops of water and then applying it to my face. I just work it into my face well and into each hair then shave. Basically a face lather, just shorter.

17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I think it does. I don't like to face lather, but many do. Something to try, along with the cold water. Never know.
    It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

tuxxdk and m54daboll like this.
  18. m54daboll

Yep! I will definitely try a cold water shave sometime soon. Although, I am at school in Boston so may have to save that one until I'm back in San Diego on Christmas break so I don't freeze...

19. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Always kept it simple, Working in construction I always showered at night, Kept the habit after I retired.

Hot wet washcloth face soak while brush soaks.
    Shake brush out put soap product on brush
    Face lather adding water to brush as needed
    Brush teeth
    touchup lather and shave ATG
    Relather and shave ATG and touchup
    Quick Cold water washcloth soak and dry
    Aftershave
    Clean razor and brush and hang

Ahh Oui likes this.
  20. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Bowl is much easier so stick with it. Nothing wrong with it