My Derby Blade Review

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by 82CJ350, Mar 1, 2012.

1. redrako

redrako Active Member

Derby's were one of my first bulk purchases. As I'd had good luck blindly buying a 100 blades with Persona Red Packs and Sharp Stainless blades I thought it would be no problem. I found them to be inconsistent and rough in my vintage Gillette razors, so I buried them in the back of the den only occasionally taking them out for a spin, but never really found them to be pleasant to use.

Last year I picked up a Merkur 34 HD and asked friends who had used this razor what blades they used in it and one guy mentioned the Derby's. So on a whim I loaded a Derby into the HD and what do you know, it was much smoother, still sharp, but now fun to use.

As always - YMMV.

2. Azarius

Azarius Must have had his WHEATies

I have tried Derby blades three times...and each time it felt like cardboard on my skin. Personally I am not a fan, but if others can get a decent shave out of them, more power to you.

3. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Started with Derby in my Merkur HD 34c and they worked fine for me. Glad this topic popped up as I put about 50 Derby's under my counter and forgot about them since I received a fresh batch of Sharks and Feathers.

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

That may be a valid observation. Good advice to those trying a blade for the first time - don't base your final review on one shave or even on a single blade. Try at least three blades, two or three shaves each.

5. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

You can try a hobby shop, a craft/hobby shop (like Hobby Lobby), or a sporting goods store (look in the fishing section). If you go to Hobby Lobby, look in either the crafts section, or the section where they sell science experiment kits.

6. 82CJ350

82CJ350 New Member

Maybe I "jumped the gun" for a blade review after only one shave like some posters above noted. Had my 3rd shave today with the Derby today and no burning. Super smooth results, and no nicks. I could could also feel what the blade was doing which did not happen on the first go around.

So now I am totally confused! I can't tell which one I like best. I guess it will come down to which blades last longer...

Any recommendations on what blade to try next?

So far I have used the Red Personna, the Lord Platinum, and the Derby EXTRA. I also have a box of the Lord Super Chrome that I have not used yet.

7. Saliavin

Saliavin Member

The derbys are not bad, not my favorite, but serviceable.

The Lord Super Chrome for me was smoother than the Platinum, and lasted an extra shave. Try it!

8. edteach

edteach Member

I have used mostly Shark since starting to shave with older double edged. I bought 3 boxes of 100 Derby extra because of a gift card I got from Amazon. I used Derby for the first time. Much closer shave then Shark. I also noticed it did not make my neck burn as shark has done if not careful. I paid 7.89 free shipping for 3 boxes of 100. Cheap shaving.

9. Christopher Powell

Christopher Powell Well-Known Member

Derby blades work ok for me in my medium/aggressive razors. They do not work well in my mild razors. I believe they have their place !!!

10. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Derby's are my blade of choice in my adjustable razors for around 10 years. I'm not positive why they perform better for me then, say the Red IP's. It could have something to do with the extreme blade bending at lower settings (where I kept my Futur and Variant) and the way they're beveled? I did not prefer them in my fixed head razors. I used Red IP's in those.

11. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Derby is my favorite! I find them to be very forgiving but effective.

12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Would someone please explain to me how a blade can be "forgiving"?!?!
    All blades cut, that's why we buy 'em. Any and all blades will cut if your technique is sloppy or you're not paying attention. To think that "forgiving" means it is less likely to cut when you're being sloppy, you're wrong. It means you have a blade that isn't sharp enough to cut when it is supposed to.

Rusty blade likes this.
  13. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

Forgiving, as in it doesn't leave my face a bloody mess like a Feather does every time I use it.

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Or when you cuss it for a bad blade, it just nods quietly and says "'s'alright."

Knox likes this.
  15. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I took it to mean comfortable yet efficient, just a different choice of words. I believe that is the trade off most of us seek.

16. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I like Derby blades. Sharp and smooth. I recently purchased 100. I find they are good for 5 - 6 very nice shaves then I change. I put them on par with an Astra SP, but with an Astra SP I get between 8-10 shaves. Derby blades a cheap as dirt, so 5 shaves per blade is fine with me.

17. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Frankly, I don't like Derby much. That said, they shave fine, I just found almost everything to be better. Why settle for "OK" when I can have "That's niiiice"